Local band I recorded

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
What effect were you aiming for on the snare? I wasn't familiar with the song so I listened to the original. Doesn't seem there is much in the way of an actual snare sound where yours sounds like the wires are super loose. Not a sound I would personally choose, but I don't know what you were going for as an alternative to the original.

drumrtommy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I thought it was a pleasant mix. The snare was good, I like it fat like that. I could give you notes or preferences but then again that would be my opinion and as a listener I thought everything blended well so there is no need for that! Good job man keep it up!

Borodog

Reaction score
xsabers,

The snares were loose, but I don't think ridiculously so. I did emphasize them. In earlier mixes the snare was very fat, but because the snare work was so intricate, it was all blurring together and muddying up the low mids. So I thinned the body a few db, and boosted higher up to help the snare cut. I feel like you can really hear the head and the snares in a way I really like; it's somehow more organic. Like you can hear the drum as a whole.

The original is a heavily layered EDM track, and these guys are an actual band. They laid down the whole track live except vocals, which we tracked separately afterward. I really didn't want to have anything to do with the original, and I didn't even listen to it but a couple of times before tracking day.

Thanks for the kind word, drumrtommy.

Barden

Reaction score
xsabers,

The snares were loose, but I don't think ridiculously so. I did emphasize them. In earlier mixes the snare was very fat, but because the snare work was so intricate, it was all blurring together and muddying up the low mids. So I thinned the body a few db, and boosted higher up to help the snare cut. I feel like you can really hear the head and the snares in a way I really like; it's somehow more organic. Like you can hear the drum as a whole.

The original is a heavily layered EDM track, and these guys are an actual band. They laid down the whole track live except vocals, which we tracked separately afterward. I really didn't want to have anything to do with the original, and I didn't even listen to it but a couple of times before tracking day.

Thanks for the kind word, drumrtommy.
You captured some really quality sounds across the board. I'm impressed with the vocal recording and where you seated it in the mix. Beautifully clear and close.

I can hear what others are saying about the snare, but I like it. If anything, some other instruments (bass and kick?) need to make more room for its fullness (just my non-expert opinion).
It was nice to not have a cranked snare in the mix like everyone else.

Good work.

Latest posts