Local pick up only-argh

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I understand that shipping has gone up and that is no doubt to blame for the uptick in local pick up only listings. I also get that you get more looks listing on EBay and Reverb but why pay the fees for a local sale? Craigslist, Facebook etc.. is free to sell your items. I’m guessing most of the transactions are being arranged outside of the site when possible to avoid the fees? Im mostly just upset that every time I see something I want I can’t get it because I live in red neck South Dakota.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Can the term “Red Neck” even be applied to North Dakota? I do hear you though. I have said before that shipping charges are going to ruin this game. I always think that the aberrant functionally and rule changes at eBay & Reverb are pushing people to use these sites as free advertising. Which is just in my book. Feck them.

I was lucky in selling off a large portion of my collection without a hitch in the last part of 2019 at the same time committing myself to not buying anymore drum gear. That is the formula for the future.

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
Can the term “Red Neck” even be applied to North Dakota? I do hear you though. I have said before that shipping charges are going to ruin this game. I always think that the aberrant functionally and rule changes at eBay & Reverb are pushing people to use these sites as free advertising. Which is just in my book. Feck them.

I was lucky in selling off a large portion of my collection without a hitch in the last part of 2019 at the same time committing myself to not buying anymore drum gear. That is the formula for the future.
No! Only to South Dakota.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As I prepare to list some vintage gear “local pickup only” insures that the buyer and I are completely on the same page as to condition and value. No crossed communication, no difference of opinion of what “players grade” means, bearing edges can be checked, chrome condition, degree of wrap fade can be easily determined, etc. etc. etc.

The thought of a sale gone sour because I “failed to disclose” a 1/4” scratch under a tom mount is more than I care to deal with.

So-you come to my home, we have coffee or tea if you like, you can pull the heads, run your hand over the wrap, “whatever”... Make me an offer. Offer accepted...

Your happy, I’m happy, and we both sleep well that night.

And, yea, shipping sucks for a whole kit!

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
I recently sold a Gretsch set a restored. It was definitely a players kit, but it was a bNice looking and sounding set. t” The guy was interested in other stuff. Basically loaded
CFE1E480-46D1-4ABB-93B8-8A43ABBD003C.jpeg
his truck and cleared things out here. I didn’t want to sell stands and things one by one and deal with shipping. He got a great set and a bunch of hardware for a great price, and I cleaned my excess out without having to ship a bunch of crap. Win-win.In retrospect with the current prices I probably did well sell things before all of this hit!

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Even though you would pay a fee to eBay or Reverb for a "local sale", you can possibly get a lot more possible buyers that just Craigslist or FB. You list in all of them and just see on which one it sells. That's why they do that most of the time! eBay for example has lots of "no insertion fee" listings so if it sells, say on Craigslist, you simply end the eBay listing and you pay nothing to eBay.

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Even though you would pay a fee to eBay or Reverb for a "local sale", you can possibly get a lot more possible buyers that just Craigslist or FB. You list in all of them and just see on which one it sells. That's why they do that most of the time! eBay for example has lots of "no insertion fee" listings so if it sells, say on Craigslist, you simply end the eBay listing and you pay nothing to eBay.
That’s kind of what I figured. I suppose paying the fee is worth selling it regardless.

robthedrummer

Reaction score
I understand that shipping has gone up and that is no doubt to blame for the uptick in local pick up only listings. I also get that you get more looks listing on EBay and Reverb but why pay the fees for a local sale? Craigslist, Facebook etc.. is free to sell your items. I’m guessing most of the transactions are being arranged outside of the site when possible to avoid the fees? Im mostly just upset that every time I see something I want I can’t get it because I live in red neck South Dakota.
I spent a month in South Dakota one weekend.

thestorysold

Reaction score
I've recently started checking Facebook Marketplace for drums and expanding my distance radius pretty far. I've come across a lot of people selling drums that have no clue about them, but they just won't agree to ship. the best I've gotten locally so far was a 70's Acrolite for $60 and an unknown converted 24x12 marching bass drum for $50.

biggest bummer of late was someone selling a set of burgundy sparkle Ludwigs with the matching snare for $800 on eBay. they wouldn't ship. he said he'd considered it in 30 days if it didn't sell. I think they sold like 10 minutes later. in hindsight I should have offered a bit more for them on top of the cost of shipping, but I thought about that too late. and to make things worse shortly after I found out I have a cousin that lived about 30 minutes from the guy...

supershifter2

DFO Star
Reaction score
I had to go from los angeles to indiana then to new york then to new jersey then to denton texas to get these local pickup only > 1972 Hiwatt DR405 the first one made and originally owned by Glenn Cornick , 1970 Ampeg 810 restored cabinet with original working CTS speakers in excellent condition , 1960's Fender 2-12 empty speaker cabinet , 1970 Sears Silvertone 200BXL bass guitar amp and cabinet. Did it in one road trip. Had a lotta fun fun fun until the law took my keys away ! Just kidding I still have all my keys 88 of them. P.S. I only do loco pickup when I sell. You wanna buy some pencils ?

hw400 a.jpg

Ampeg SVT Flatback Mine 1.jpg

Fender Empty 212.jpg

Sears 200BXL Mine 1.jpg

wonton 2w.jpg

supershifter2

DFO Star
Reaction score
Actually, the Black Hills and the Badlands are beautiful. I'm thinking of eastern SD and, of course, the entirety of ND.
I went to SD about 10 years ago and brought back Preston Tuckers own Tucker for a loco guy that bought it. Fun trip and got to see the country on someone elses gas card.

tucker 4.jpg

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As I prepare to list some vintage gear “local pickup only” insures that the buyer and I are completely on the same page as to condition and value. No crossed communication, no difference of opinion of what “players grade” means, bearing edges can be checked, chrome condition, degree of wrap fade can be easily determined, etc. etc. etc.

The thought of a sale gone sour because I “failed to disclose” a 1/4” scratch under a tom mount is more than I care to deal with.

So-you come to my home, we have coffee or tea if you like, you can pull the heads, run your hand over the wrap, “whatever”... Make me an offer. Offer accepted...

Your happy, I’m happy, and we both sleep well that night.

And, yea, shipping sucks for a whole kit!
^^^^^YES, 100% THIS RIGHT HERE. I have NEVER sold an instrument via shipping before, for all these reasons. And I've sold many, many drums, amps and guitars in my years.

You want it? Great! Come over, look at it, test it out, examine it, like it, buy it, leave with it, have a nice life with it!

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes, I think these skyrocketing shipping fees, along with the relentless damage, along with many states now charging sales tax on the online sales, is going to put the kibosh on the "Point, click, and it magically appears in my living room" crowd.

And it's not always the shipping companies' fault, either. I buy and keep - you know, to actually play and get into the instrument - not buy and flip on a whim. I continue to be confounded by sellers shipping used, one-of-kind Bosphorus cymbals in negligible, folded-over pieces of worn-out cardboard, with a nice little sheet of bubble wrap to "make it ok." Shipping anything in a container with less than full structural integrity is unconscionable. Nothing's arrived wrecked so far, but I have received early-series Bos cymbals - they don't make 'em like that no more - in packaging that had me trembling as I opened it. These things, too, could put the point 'n click crowd out of the game.

Latest posts