Locking hihat nuts: I think I have figured it out!

peter

Reaction score
Or one of these:
The problem with every one of these quick-release bottom nuts I've tried is their up/down jiggle, and "clicking" feel and/or sound. Even the flagship Yamaha hi-hat stand I tried which was not a quick-release bottom nut had this problem. Perhaps most drummer's are not as sensitive to the precise hi-hat feel, but that experience was all a no-go for me.

My favorite stock clutch is Sonor's integrated top/bottom. The bottom piece has a hex hole, which automatically locks with the hex pull-rod. The top piece has a round hole which can adjust the cymbal tightness without removing the clutch the pull-rod. All of this with NO moving/plastic parts. Only problem with their design is that the securing mechanism on the clutch seems to "chew up" the pull-rod quite a bit. But it's worth it to me, for how great the design otherwise is.

My favorite after-market clutch is Gibraltar's SC-4420S. They also have a quick-release version (SC-QTHHC) which I've not tried... maybe it does not have the clicking problem?