LOL....Gretsch RB Floor Tom Restoration Surprise!

ThomasL

Reaction score
Now, I'm having a bizzare issue with one of the leg mounts: I bought a replica mount and it came with no screws......and I can NOT find screws that work! Not sure whats going on other than the replica might be metric.
Yes, since they moved the hardware production to Asia, Gretsch lug and bracket screws seem to be metric.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks Tom. That would explain the issues I'm having. Now I have to find 2 metric screws, which I may have someplace.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
And......Walla!!! The Gretsch 1950s RB Floor Tom
Restoration is complete. I'm really, really happy with how it came out. The patch is barely noticeable . I still need a new white Remo head for the top, and the rubber tips for the original legs.
Heres a pic, looking directly at the patch. After I polished the original 1950s Leg mounts with some simichrome and tin foil, the pitting is still there but they look much better, they were now good enough to reinstall. I bowed to history on those. Next up: Matching BDP Cannister Throne restoration!!

Let me know what you think!!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks Larry! You are 100% correct. Re-wrapping would have been wrong...the Floor tom would have looked out of step with the rest of the set. It looks great to me now, after a deep cleaning, Novus polish, and Dawn bath of the hardware. And with the lugs and tension rods on it the patch is barely noticeable.
The BDP wrap fade on all 4 drums is about even, so they all match really well.

Now,..the last step in my restoration of this beautiful set....I have to restore the Cannister throne (which is a Ludwig, but is 1960s BDP wrap). It has some wrap issues that I need to fix, and needs a good polish. Hopefully I will get to that tomorrow.

Last edited: