Long Period Of Pad Practice Without Drum Kit - Beginner

WonderMonkey

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree with everything said, using a practice pad is great. Watch some hands videos and pay attention to your grip etc and learn good form while on the pad.
One other suggestion since you have guitars you're looking to sell and there's others here that play drums and guitar you might list in the trade section see if you can get something to get you started.
Good suggestion on listing the guitars here. Thanks.

WonderMonkey

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I had started with pads. You'll probably shred the kit once you get it, instead just making noise like I did in the beginning.
I hope I can at least be passable, near the level of what I'm doing on the pads. Of course I'll have to get used to using multiple drums but that is hopefully nothing more than a period of adjustment. If I can use a few standard paradiddles and play along with a song, regardless if I'm doing what the song drummer is doing, I'll pass out from joy.

richiegarcia4

Reaction score
I hope I can at least be passable, near the level of what I'm doing on the pads. Of course I'll have to get used to using multiple drums but that is hopefully nothing more than a period of adjustment. If I can use a few standard paradiddles and play along with a song, regardless if I'm doing what the song drummer is doing, I'll pass out from joy.
I'm sure you'll be fine. Before I got a kit, I would play along to AC/DC on my knees and tap my right foot.

dingaling

Reaction score
I have a few kits but can’t really play in my apt so I have a practice pad kit I made with pads I picked up over the years.
Zildjian practice cymbals, Remo pad as high tom, Sabian pad as floor tom, 16” Sonor jungle kick with a towel over it, and a Ludwig pad on the snare.

Attachments

WonderMonkey

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a few kits but can’t really play in my apt so I have a practice pad kit I made with pads I picked up over the years.
Zildjian practice cymbals, Remo pad as high tom, Sabian pad as floor tom, 16” Sonor jungle kick with a towel over it, and a Ludwig pad on the snare.
I didn't know they made practice cymbals.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Yep - they're great. The hats actually work like real hats. Foot pressure, sizzle all that. This is my practice/recording setup now. Takes about 30 seconds to take the practice cymbals and pad off, drop the real cymbals in place. Snare and cymbals are the parts your ear is most critical of anyway. As an added bonus - I've found that having an electronic bass/toms and low volume cymbals with a real snare is super awesome for practicing playing snare consistently w/ good tone at super low volume.

Not visible in the picture - Yamaha KP65 trigger on the bass drum pedal. I was intending to use it as a practice pad for a while but ended up buying the multipad right away.

Last edited:

Stickclick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There are pads that you can put on a drum kit to quiet it down. No need to buy a practice pad kit. Look around for a used drum kit. You can make pads out of foam rubber.

Search google for "low volume cymbals".

I sometimes play with brushes when I need to keep the noise down. You can make brushes from a bundle of cable ties held together with a rubber band.

WonderMonkey

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are pads that you can put on a drum kit to quiet it down. No need to buy a practice pad kit. Look around for a used drum kit. You can make pads out of foam rubber.

Search google for "low volume cymbals".

I sometimes play with brushes when I need to keep the noise down. You can make brushes from a bundle of cable ties held together with a rubber band.
That's a good thought. Then I also have a cheap acoustic kit to play on when nobody is home.

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Pads are a useful tool, but imagine never practicing with your guitar plugged in. That's the only way you connect your mechanics to the tones you're trying to create.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I wasn't sure if this should go in the "Teacher's Lounge" so I errored on the side of this general forum.

To buy my eventual drum set I'm going to sell a few guitars and kick in some cash. Then, I'm hoping that holiday sales will bring the prices down lower. I have no idea of the reality of holiday sales so I'll take input on that. The biggest reason for the wait is that is when the "Used Guitar Selling Season" kicks in and mine will be easier to sell. However, I'm going to put them for sale next week and see how it goes.

While that is happening I was wondering how long a person could realistically play with just practice pads. I know they are a very valuable tool, but without the "context" of an actual drum kit to play sometimes, would bad habits be formed? Have you ever had a student (or yourself) play/practice on practice pads for several months before getting on a kit? In reality, will a student get all excited and play the pads and then, due to no kit, tail off? It could be a "Well if you REALLY want it ..." thing but then there are the actual results. Theory versus reality.

I'm 53 years old and transitioning from guitar due to a hand condition that makes it painful to play. When playing guitar I enjoyed the practice and the mechanics of running scales, working on theory, chord changes, and all the things that made playing songs easier. Some find that kind of practice a chore, I found it relaxing and calming. I say that to give an indication that I know I'll relish the pad work, but months of it? Maybe or maybe not.

EDIT To the EDIT Below: I've found more than a few setups here in the forums on practice pad kits. Most recently this one: https://www.drumforum.org/threads/practice-pad-kit.185594/

EDIT: "If working pads for a few months is reasonable, would you get a few pads to simulate the different drums? Is that a thing?"
-- I just noticed there are several practice pad "kits" available. Probably old news to most of you, but new to me. Below is an example. I know the price of setting this up could easily go towards a kit, but it's an idea I'm throwing out there to the crowd.
If you are serious about this transition, you should seek a qualified teacher. I don't know where you are located, but, if possible, a good place to start is a drum teacher or artist in residence at a college music school. Some will give private lessons even if you aren't enrolled in the college. "Working on the pad" is essential. You should do it as long as you play the drums. But, you can save years of frustration spinning your wheels and reinventing the wheel, by learning good technique from the beginning.

WonderMonkey

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are serious about this transition, you should seek a qualified teacher. I don't know where you are located, but, if possible, a good place to start is a drum teacher or artist in residence at a college music school. Some will give private lessons even if you aren't enrolled in the college. "Working on the pad" is essential. You should do it as long as you play the drums. But, you can save years of frustration spinning your wheels and reinventing the wheel, by learning good technique from the beginning.
I plan on that and have been looking for instructors. I didn't think to reach out to my local colleges, but I think that is a fine idea and will do that later tonight.

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I plan on that and have been looking for instructors. I didn't think to reach out to my local colleges, but I think that is a fine idea and will do that later tonight.
Yep. The education bubble just popped, so there are lots of adjunct profs looking for extra work.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Word of mouth recommendations can also be very helpful. A great reacher will have a reputation in the community.