Long Time, First Time

sw532121

Reaction score
Greetings from Tennessee!

I've been a long time lurker. I actually created my account in 2009, but I've never posted until today. I've always enjoyed the conversation, and the wealth of information that I've found here.

A little about me. I'm just a drum nerd. I was a working drummer in (and around) Nashville for about 10 years. I still play a handful of gigs a year, but haven't pursued serious work since 2010. Like many, I've taken the opportunity during the pandemic to revisit the drums. Well, the drum bug bit me hard, and I'm all in! The drum industry seems to have grown by quite a bit in the last decade, and I love all of the smaller boutique offerings. I've always been a gear nerd, and I'm looking forward to trying some new gear.

While I'd conservatively estimate that I've played 1000 gigs or so (equating to 2500ish hours of stage time), I would guess that I have spent less than 100 hours actually studying the instrument. This is where my focus is now turning, and I'm attempting to "learn" the instrument in a more formal sense. Unlearning my bad habits is hard, but I am enjoying the challenge.

I look forward to participating in the conversation!

Evan

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
2009!? I wasn't born yet! :icon_lol:

Welcome to the forum, or should I say, welcome to the conversation. There is a lot of info here from a lot of good guys. They have me spending big money on drums though, so I actually hate em all!:-D

Have fun!

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right on
Please share your thoughts on the things you work on. I pretty much get all my study materials here and it helps! Then the critique I get at the gig and at practice, and on rare occasions here.
Glad you found the time to type

sw532121

Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

@Rock Salad - As for what I'm working on, I'm actually going back to the basics. I'm starting with rudiments, a practice pad, and a metronome. Embarrassingly, I have never done this before. I wasn't in the band in school. I learned to play the drums on the steering wheel of my car when I was a teenager, and cut my teeth with hundreds of bar gigs in my 20s. Now, don't get me wrong, I've been doing single stroke rolls, double stroke rolls, and paradiddles for decades (I just didn't know they had names). I'm really trying to focus on timing, dynamics, technique, and speed. Surprisingly, I'm not finding it monotonous at all. It's quite inspiring, and I actually look forward to it.

Last edited:

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

@Rock Salad - As for what I'm working on, I'm actually going back to the basics. I'm starting with rudiments, a practice pad, and a metronome. Embarrassingly, I have never done this before. I wasn't in the band in school. I learned to play the drums on the steering wheel of my car when I was a teenager, and cut my teeth with hundreds of bar gigs in my 20s. Now, don't get me wrong, I've been doing single stroke rolls, double stroke rolls, and paradiddles for decades (I just didn't know they had names). I'm really trying to focus on timing, dynamics, technique, and speed. Surprisingly, I'm not finding it monotonous at all. It's quite inspiring, and I actually look forward to it.
I wasn’t in the band either in school. I could throw a baseball in the low 90s consistently and hit 94 mph at the top so my extra curricular activity was planned out for me. My parents were poor and couldn’t afford anything else beyond baseball. I started in my late twenty’s-early thirties so I’m not real technical or good for that matter. It is fun and good exercise so I do it purely for enjoyment. The forum ranges from guys like me all the way up to career musicians. You get both ends of the spectrum so to speak.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Always room for one more !!

OK

1000 gigs will have gotten you some very valuable experience ,careful not to throw the baby out with the bath water .

An honest mechanic will tell you what needs attention , an honest teacher will do the same .

Last edited:

unregisteredalien

Reaction score
I'm actually going back to the basics. I'm starting with rudiments, a practice pad, and a metronome. Embarrassingly, I have never done this before. I wasn't in the band in school. I learned to play the drums on the steering wheel of my car when I was a teenager, and cut my teeth with hundreds of bar gigs in my 20s. Now, don't get me wrong, I've been doing single stroke rolls, double stroke rolls, and paradiddles for decades (I just didn't know they had names). I'm really trying to focus on timing, dynamics, technique, and speed. Surprisingly, I'm not finding it monotonous at all. It's quite inspiring, and I actually look forward to it.
Kudos. I'm in a similar position and have been thinking about doing the same. I was initially a properly-trained brass wind player, then I picked up drums and have been entirely self-taught since. I've played for 20+ years, in dozens of bands, doing hundreds of gigs, and I'm pretty decent on the whole but no doubt lacking in many of the textbook basics. Can you recommend any online resources to get started on this stuff?

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome! As others have said, there are some great, knowledgeable, and helpful folks on this board. I lived and worked in Nashville for 12 years - great town!

sw532121

Reaction score
Kudos. I'm in a similar position and have been thinking about doing the same. I was initially a properly-trained brass wind player, then I picked up drums and have been entirely self-taught since. I've played for 20+ years, in dozens of bands, doing hundreds of gigs, and I'm pretty decent on the whole but no doubt lacking in many of the textbook basics. Can you recommend any online resources to get started on this stuff?
I started with random youtube videos, and they were a good starting place, but I wanted a bit more structure. I sampled most of the popular online teaching sites, and settled on Mike Johnston at mikeslessons.com. I don't think you have to use one of these sites, but it just works better for me, and the way that I tend to learn these days.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! We got it all here -- Drum facts, controversies, jokes, peevish arguments and Zen Philosophy!! Plus we're all enablers when it comes to acquiring more drums.

More drums = pretty good

Lots and lots more drums = stupendous

jb78

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m bumping this thread from a few weeks ago as I’ve decided to do the same. I’ve been playing for over 30 years, including several years professionally (though no longer). I’ve never truly learned my rudiments and I’m now ready to do so. Does anyone have a book etc they recommend?

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m bumping this thread from a few weeks ago as I’ve decided to do the same. I’ve been playing for over 30 years, including several years professionally (though no longer). I’ve never truly learned my rudiments and I’m now ready to do so. Does anyone have a book etc they recommend?
Here are the essential rudiments as prescribed by the Percussive Arts Society:

Regarding a solid book for hand development, I think most people would recommend “Stick Control” by George Lawrence Stone. It is widely regarded as the revered ancient text.

jb78

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are the essential rudiments as prescribed by the Percussive Arts Society:

Regarding a solid book for hand development, I think most people would recommend “Stick Control” by George Lawrence Stone. It is widely regarded as the revered ancient text.
Thank you. Earlier I ordered a copy of Stick Control, probably my third or fourth in my life. This time I’m really gonna learn it though!