Long time no see, Got an odd one!

leftymcleft

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Hey, everyone.
I was wandering around the pawnshop today, and found a snare drum. I was interested because it had a parallel strainer and ten lugs.

Wait, did I say ten? Nope. 12. Twelve lugs. Made by some off-brand called Impact. Bleh, whatever, I need the strainer for my Yamaha.

$55 out the door.

Guys, I can't find anything about this snare online. It's fiberglass. It has 12 lugs. It has a parallel strainer. It has a very interesting internal muffler. It appears to be all original. The snare wires are screwed, but the rest of it is perfect, if a little dirty

. 20200213_171753.jpg 20200213_171801_HDR.jpg 20200213_171810.jpg 20200213_171819_HDR.jpg

Not like I really want to sell it, but what's it worth? I know Bermuda used to play Impacts, but it never occured to me that this was made by the same company.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Looks sort of like a marriage between Remo and Pearl. I've seen a similar snare drum the past year, think it was a Remo. And that throw off sure looks similar to a Tama King Beat strainer. Being a fiberglass 12 lug with a super-sensitive mechanism, that should put it at least in the $150-$200 range. There can't be many of these out there compared to Ludwig SS's or Tama King Beats. Wouldn't surprise me if that snare were several hundred $$.

"Impact" made some nice drum cases in the 80's and 90's. Maybe it's the same company?

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Several companies make extended snare wires. First step is to see what mechanism you have (ie who made it). My first guess is King Beat style wires.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Last edited:

leftymcleft

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Yeah, NOBODY sells those snare wires. Cannon used to, but they were discontinued ears ago. On eBay, there's one guy in Spain with a set that wants $60 for them!

SO I'm gonna have to engineer a solution.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've seen some nice used sets pop up for $25-$40. I think even some NOS ones not very long ago. I didn't have any use for them so let them alone. You might have to be patient. But they will show up from someone parting out a rough King Beat.

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Post a picture of just the wire set and someone may have that odd ball wire set in a drawer and not realize what it is for.