Looking for 14 dark hats to record

219Dave

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I’ve just recently jumped into the home recording thing, playing mostly blues and classic rock. I’m happy with my sound overall. Only issue is my one pair of hats are Zildjian A quick beats. I love them, but they sound noticeably brighter than my K and K custom rides and k custom crash. So time to find some darker hats on reverb. Please give me thoughts on following:

plain K
K custom dark

Sabian hhx complex
Any istanbul agop to listen to? I love mu signature china.
Any paiste to consider, like dark energy or signature dark crisp?
Any Meinl to consider?

I’ve always been a Zildjian guy, but am okay on branching out for right sound.

Not worried about playing out/cutting through mix/ breaking cymbals.

Thanks!

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bosphorus Traditional Dark 14"
I own. Not wimpy (910/1110) dark... rather like perfect (home-grown organic) A's.
( recommend including all Bosphorus hi hats in your search)

(short of old ks which I also use)

Last edited:

Nubs

Reaction score
I had a whole collection of Trinity Darks, including their 14" hats. I just sold them all and am regretting it. Those hats were something else! They had the traditional great chick sound and really worked well when they opened up.

Might be worth a look if you don't mind something different.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I can relate; I just swapped out some SC Darks HH's for some 602 SE's. I've had both on hand for a years, long before I was able to track at home. The 602s came across better on my tracks.

Then I learned more about mixing and playing with EQ settings.

You might save some money by experimenting with your mix. Before you spend more money, play around with the EQ on the HH track and see if you can't come up with something that gives you what you want to hear. If not, I'm sure there's someone who'll gladly accept your business.

TPC

Reaction score
My answer to almost all hihat questions ... old A's. For general use, 14" or 15" from the 50's or 60's.

Inexpensive, readily available, and sound great. A lot of players who play other brands of cymbals, still use their old A hats for good reason.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll second JDA’s suggestion of Bosphorus I have a set of 14” masters series that are very nice. Also my Paiste 602’s record really well.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
K's aren't as dark as you think. K customs are darker. I have a set of 14" K Cons that are really dark and for sale - they don't work for jazz but do for many other things.

jaymandude

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
K's aren't as dark as you think. K customs are darker. I have a set of 14" K Cons that are really dark and for sale - they don't work for jazz but do for many other things.
Have you told Zildjian about this problem ?

• Haha
Reactions: JDA

Twakeshima

Reaction score
Maybe try the meinl sand hats. They’re really gritty and dry. Definitely not bright or shimmery.

219Dave

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. I don’t necessarily need super dark, just something that blends a bit more than the A quick beats. Anyone out there singing the praises of the sabians or paiste models? Also, what do I look for in old 50s As? How do I know if they are 50s-60s?

TPC

Reaction score
Old A's have stamps that changed throughout the years, so you can date them based on the stamp. There's a ton of info out there on this, but it is a bit of a rabbit hole. So ...

I would go more by weights and how dirty/patina'd they are. Get a dark (colored) old pair of 14's in the 800-900 g (top) and 1000-1200 g (bottom) range, or 15's in the 900-1000 g (top) and 1100-1300 g (bottom) range and you have a very good chance of getting the darker (but not too dark) sound you're after.

The other thing is, these tend to be quite inexpensive, so for the price of a contemporary/new pair of hats, you can get several cymbals or pairs, and experiment with tops and bottoms until you find the Goldilocks set for you.

bolweevil

DFO Master
Reaction score
My answer to almost all hihat questions ... old A's. For general use, 14" or 15" from the 50's or 60's.

Inexpensive, readily available, and sound great. A lot of players who play other brands of cymbals, still use their old A hats for good reason.
I am one of those players; I use Sabian HH for crashes and ride but 60s over 70s mismatched As for hats. To my ear they are perfect (though possibly brighter than the OP is looking for--in which case I would recommend Sabian HH Dark hats).

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Check out the Istanbul Mehmet 14 Origin Darks and if you like what you hear, PM me for a killer deal :cool:

drummerfriend

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. I don’t necessarily need super dark, just something that blends a bit more than the A quick beats. Anyone out there singing the praises of the sabians or paiste models? Also, what do I look for in old 50s As? How do I know if they are 50s-60s?
My pick..

charlesm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In the K Z world:

As mentioned, regular K hats (have owned) are actually not very dark, and they tend to run a bit heavy. They're not bright, either...somehow in between.

K Lights (current own 15s) are a bit darker. They're kind of like darker versions of New Beats.

K Custom Dark gets even thinner and darker while having a modern, shimmery quality.

Kerope (own 15s) starts to get into a real fundamentally dark, more muted sound and vintage feel.

And then there's K Sweet, Special Dry, Con...all different variations on a darker theme.

To keep things simple:

Dark but versatile? K Light.

Dark and vintagey/funky? Kerope.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quiick beats are pretty heavy and harsher than new beats which tend to have a smaller weight spread. You can find New Beats in medium thin/medium weights that will work for you....either 15's or 14's. You can also make a pairing and match up most anything Zildjians from the 50's to 70's. I've had some deeply toned 1970's New Beat 15" in the 1000/1400 range, and 14's in the 850/1200 range that were good for most any music 50's to present day. Very smooth sounding....yet crisp with the foot. You can go match weights as well for a little more mellow sound - matched 15's in the 850-1050 gm range, or 14's in 750-850 gm range.

You can verify stamps by decade on Zenstat's web page. You will generally find the early 60's and 50's have minimal/faint lathing on the bell. From mid-60's and on the latching is much sharper. A simple rule for 50's stamps is no 3 dots + vertical letter alignment on the last 2 rows of lettering.

https://black.net.nz/avedis/avedis-gallery.html

James Walker

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Quiick beats are pretty heavy and harsher than new beats which tend to have a smaller weight spread.
You beat me to the punch. I owned a set of QBs for a while, and I was surprised just how much more cutting they were, compared to my late '70s New Beats.

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A quick beat bottom is good to have in the trap case to pair with something else when needed. The bottoms come up regularly used. Pair it with your favorite top or bottom for more options.

drummingbulldog

Reaction score
I have a pair of Sabian 14" HH from the early 80s. They track well with any crashes or rides and and darkish but still crispy. I have set of K 13" hats that are super articulate & splashy but not for hard rock. The darkest pair I have are late 60s 15" Zildjians. Think 60s Hal Blaine/Ian Paice type sound. They all sound extremely good with a mic. Good luck.