Looking for 14 dark hats to record

Reaction score
I would suggest (because it's what I use:)

-602 14" Mediums (or used 602 Pre Serial Mediums) most blend and BEST all around hats EVER, and on the darker side.

-14" Giant Beats (Best blend for rock, not quite enough "chick" for jazz though.) Maybe not quite as much cut as 602's.

-14" Paiste Masters (probably the darkest.)

Or OLD Zildjian A's ( I use paper thin 13's, and 14's which are close to the same weight top and bottom, hence pre-new-beat. They are almost brown with patina) and perfect all around hats.

The older quick beats are really thick and bright, I had a pair years ago, just too harsh, but their "chick" sound could cut through anything!

Here's me playing my 602 Mediums.

and

(second tune has much more HH.)

Hope that helps,
MSG

219Dave

Reaction score
I would suggest (because it's what I use:)

-602 14" Mediums (or used 602 Pre Serial Mediums) most blend and BEST all around hats EVER, and on the darker side.

-14" Giant Beats (Best blend for rock, not quite enough "chick" for jazz though.) Maybe not quite as much cut as 602's.

-14" Paiste Masters (probably the darkest.)

Or OLD Zildjian A's ( I use paper thin 13's, and 14's which are close to the same weight top and bottom, hence pre-new-beat. They are almost brown with patina) and perfect all around hats.

The older quick beats are really thick and bright, I had a pair years ago, just too harsh, but their "chick" sound could cut through anything!

Here's me playing my 602 Mediums.

and

(second tune has much more HH.)

Hope that helps,
MSG
I like these clips!!!

Black Label

Reaction score
If you're thinking Paiste, these are all awesome hats - especially in 15":

219Dave

Reaction score
A quick beat bottom is good to have in the trap case to pair with something else when needed. The bottoms come up regularly used. Pair it with your favorite top or bottom for more options.
This could be a great, inexpensive solution. So what top should I try first to pair with quick beat bottom? I don’t need crazy dark. Just not as bright and biting as quick beats.

TPC

Reaction score
eBay
14" Vintage 50s/60s no dot small stamp Avedis Zildjian HiHat Hi Hat Cymbal 865g

Anything like this

itsjjp

Reaction score
Agree with comments on old As being a good option. Just make sure you verify the hats lay flat and mesh/seal well when buying any used hats.

Slingwig26

Reaction score
In the K Z world:

As mentioned, regular K hats (have owned) are actually not very dark, and they tend to run a bit heavy. They're not bright, either...somehow in between.

K Lights (current own 15s) are a bit darker. They're kind of like darker versions of New Beats.

K Custom Dark gets even thinner and darker while having a modern, shimmery quality.

Kerope (own 15s) starts to get into a real fundamentally dark, more muted sound and vintage feel.

And then there's K Sweet, Special Dry, Con...all different variations on a darker theme.

To keep things simple:

Dark but versatile? K Light.

Dark and vintagey/funky? Kerope.
Too many choices!!!Ugh!

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I’ve just recently jumped into the home recording thing, playing mostly blues and classic rock. I’m happy with my sound overall. Only issue is my one pair of hats are Zildjian A quick beats. I love them, but they sound noticeably brighter than my K and K custom rides and k custom crash. So time to find some darker hats on reverb. Please give me thoughts on following:

plain K
K custom dark

Sabian hhx complex
Any istanbul agop to listen to? I love mu signature china.
Any paiste to consider, like dark energy or signature dark crisp?
Any Meinl to consider?

I’ve always been a Zildjian guy, but am okay on branching out for right sound.

Not worried about playing out/cutting through mix/ breaking cymbals.

Thanks!
My Paiste Masters 14 Dark Hats record well. However, before you buy new hats, play with your mic set up. Sometimes moving or removing mics can make a huge difference. You might buy the new hats and still find yourself in the same place.

For example, my hi hats never sounded right in the mix. I removed the hi hat mic and voila! My overheads and the snare picked up enough. That’s just one suggestion. Good luck!

Robert Albiston

Reaction score
Old A's have stamps that changed throughout the years, so you can date them based on the stamp. There's a ton of info out there on this, but it is a bit of a rabbit hole. So ...

I would go more by weights and how dirty/patina'd they are. Get a dark (colored) old pair of 14's in the 800-900 g (top) and 1000-1200 g (bottom) range, or 15's in the 900-1000 g (top) and 1100-1300 g (bottom) range and you have a very good chance of getting the darker (but not too dark) sound you're after.

The other thing is, these tend to be quite inexpensive, so for the price of a contemporary/new pair of hats, you can get several cymbals or pairs, and experiment with tops and bottoms until you find the Goldilocks set for you.
Agree. The old Zildjian 50's early 60's can be quite thin, and although they can have nice highs, the "chick" is quite tame and blends with band and singer in that classic way. You hear them on many off the best jazz small group recordings. I found a "Paper Thin" which matches my bottom 14" of the same era beautifully. You can flip them for a slightly more solid sound because the bottom one is just slightly heavier. The New Beats were designed for a louder "chick" to cut through the band, so that softness may be hard to coax out of them.

Reactions: TPC
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I’ve just recently jumped into the home recording thing, playing mostly blues and classic rock. I’m happy with my sound overall. Only issue is my one pair of hats are Zildjian A quick beats. I love them, but they sound noticeably brighter than my K and K custom rides and k custom crash. So time to find some darker hats on reverb. Please give me thoughts on following:

plain K
K custom dark

Sabian hhx complex
Any istanbul agop to listen to? I love mu signature china.
Any paiste to consider, like dark energy or signature dark crisp?
Any Meinl to consider?

I’ve always been a Zildjian guy, but am okay on branching out for right sound.

Not worried about playing out/cutting through mix/ breaking cymbals.

Thanks!
I have been using Sabian HH Fusion hats for years. Love them. Good ‘chick’ but also a darkness to them and not bright. But they are not as Dark and Muddy as you indicated you want. But they are a great alternative to dark K types and brighter Quick/New beats.

Coolvan

Reaction score
Frank Beard says he does almost all his recordings with the old Paiste 602 set he started with in the 1960s. On stage he plays all 2002s. But his 602 highhats sound fairly dark to me.