Looking for a budget aluminum snare

Ced

Reaction score
Hi there!

I am looking for a budget friendly aluminum snare to gig with.
I was looking at acrolites but it seems like the prices went up since the last time I bought one. I may also want to try a deeper snare, maybe 6.5

open to suggestions if you are trying to make space and doing a spring cleaning

cheers

Drummer1990

Reaction score
@Ced What's your budget for a Aluminum snare?

Theres a few choices one would definitely be a Ludwig Acrolite 14x5 or Black Galaxy Acrolite

Theres the Pearl Sensitone Aluminum

I think DW makes a Aluminum

Mapex may as well

Not really sure what else is out there

Reactions: Ced

Ced

Reaction score
Ideally between $120 and $160. Max $200-ish shipped?
Which definitely is a very limited budget, I totally get that. I’d be into restoring one though...

I saw a beautiful acro for sale, 60s and clean... but it’s a little over what I would want to pay and I want to take it to gigs without sweating it each time (if that makes sense). I feel like a nice 60s acro will stay in my studio...

how would you compare a 5 depth to 6.5? Does the depth bring more low end and volume?

because volume is not something I ever felt I was missing. If anything the challenge has always been to keep the dynamics down...

Drummer1990

Reaction score
Around 160 you could definitely find acrolites but expect a shipping charge.

Best of luck I hope you can find what you need
Phil

Reactions: Ced

Ced

Reaction score
Hi guys! I just bought an acrolite at a really good price. Thank you for your messages, very much appreciate the offers but I am going to stop looking for now until I get the snare.

snares that were out of my budget, but caught my eye were: tama Starphonic aluminum and Yamaha recording custom aluminum 6.5

if you have feedback on those, I’d love to hear it. Not for now for me though, times are tough and it doesn’t look like it is going to get better very soon...

Stay safe and healthy!

Last edited:

Drummer1990

Reaction score
Hi guys! I just bought an acrolite at a very good price. Thank you for your messages, very much appreciate the offers but I am going to stop looking for now until I get the snare.

snare that we’re out of my budget but bought my eye were: tama Starphonic aluminum and Yamaha recording custom aluminum 6.5

if you have feedback on those, I’d love to hear it. Not for now though, times are tough and it doesn’t look like it is going to get better very soon...

Stay safe and healthy!
Nice Ced congratulations on the awesome deal you shared with me you got. you will love the Acrolite its quite a amazing snare with big responsive results. I myself scored a nice find yesterday. I got a 14x5.5 Acrolite black galaxy for a super low price thanks to known member here on DFO. Enjoy it,clean it up an post pics in the "show your snare collection" thread

Last edited:

Latest posts