Looking for a good kit for practicing and rock gigs.

chappy

Reaction score
I’m looking for a kit around $1000 for practicing and rock gigs. I’m leaning towards a Yamaha Stage Custom currently as Tama seems intent on pricing themselves out of my budget for a Starclassic kit. I’ve been hunting the used pages, but the kits are largely overpriced garbage. Thoughts and ideas welcome.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yep, the Yamaha stage customs are great kits for the money. Gretsch Cat Maples are great sounding and that price range too. Otherwise, as these guys will all tell you, used is a great option but you have to be patient and wait for the right kit.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m looking for a kit around $1000 for practicing and rock gigs. I’m leaning towards a Yamaha Stage Custom currently as Tama seems intent on pricing themselves out of my budget for a Starclassic kit. I’ve been hunting the used pages, but the kits are largely overpriced garbage. Thoughts and ideas welcome.
Around here, I've seen local Crsigslist Starclassic Performers go for under $500 for a five piece shell pack. Not always the prettiest things but still.

Which is probably the main reason I haven't sold mine.

Where are you located?

Maggot

Reaction score
Used pages are hit and miss most places. It's astonishing what people think they can get for their stuff. Absent a good drum shop that carries used stuff (my local shop sells used kits for less than they usually go for on Reverb or Craigslist), you've got to either be patient, lower your standards, or go new.

I'm not as knowledgeable as most people here, but I've played some PDP concept series sets that I really liked (if you don't want wood hoops, they don't all have em). Also, I know they have detractors, but Gretsch Catalina Club Rock are fun, with 14x24 bass drums.

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Rogers Big R sets in Seattle area.

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Inde kit for sale on this forum. That's an amazing kit for a very good price.

jmato

Reaction score
Second on the Stage Customs. For $1000 in the used market you could probably get a shell pack, hardware, and some of the cymbals you need.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Awesome!
So glad you went that route. Nice kit for sure.
Congratulations!

Latest posts