Looking for a jazz ride

actionjcl

Reaction score
I’m big into jazz, specifically jazz standards and modern vocal jazz (really digging Sachal Vasandani). I’m looking for a ride cymbal though and am having some trouble finding the right one. I’ve been looking at several, specifically Mienl Byzance Jazz Big Apple and Jazz Traditional, Paiste Master’s Dark and Crisp Dark, and Mehmet Nostalgia 50’s 21” sizzle ride (really digging Mehmet nostalgia crashes and hi-hats).

Out of those I’ve been looking at, which one would you recommend and why?

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
ain't gonna happen... first of all jazz is a touch and a feel ..It's not a cymbal..
third of all..I guess Old K New stamp 20s are out because of price. That leaves all Old Ks out... So where are we.

Ok we're back to it's Touch (stick too) and Feel.
So what cymbal's at present do you own?

lemme see if I can pick from there; list hi hats- secondary rides- main rides- and anything else.

You're adding to what You have (unless you're going entire revamp) and I'll give my opinion to help best I can

Last edited:

actionjcl

Reaction score
I
ain't gonna happen... first of all jazz is a touch and a feel ..It's not a cymbal..
third of all..I guess Old K New stamp 20s are out because of price. That leaves all Old Ks out... So where are we.

Ok we're back to it's Touch (stick too) and Feel.
So what cymbal's at present do you own?

lemme see if I can pick from there; list hi hats secondary rides main rides and anything else.
I’m looking at sound first and foremost at this point. Currently I’m just playing an old late 70’s/early 80’s Zildjian 18” medium-thin crash and medium 20” ride, but the ride is on the heavier side and thus too much. I’m also using late 80’s 15” New Beat hi-hats.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m looking at sound first and foremost at this point. Currently I’m just playing an old late 70’s/early 80’s 20” medium Zildjian, but it’s on the heavier side and thus too much.
Ok what else... what are your hats..your 18s..

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Currently I’m just playing an old late 70’s/early 80’s Zildjian 18” medium-thin crash and medium 20” ride, but the ride is on the heavier side and thus too much. I’m also using late 80’s 15” New Beat hi-hats.
Ok. You just (if you want to save $340 (I understand you want something new) (we all do-at times)

What you have is Ok.
What You must do is Practice Quiet.

Do you have Quiet down? Down Pat?... swing groove and still be able to hear someone walking in the room? That quiet..

See. If you can master those cymbals 1) you may not need anything else.
It's Touch. feet hands. everything quiet relaxed and quick. You can do it with those cymbals.

You want to add 1. Ok.
lemme think.

actionjcl

Reaction score
Ok. You just (if you want to save $340 (I understand you want something new) (we all do-at times)

What you have is Ok.
What You must do is Practice Quiet.

Do you have Quiet down? Down Pat?... swing groove and still be able to hear someone walking in the room? That quiet..

See. If you can master those cymbals 1) you may not need anything else.
It's Touch. feet hands. everything quiet relaxed and quick. You can do it with those cymbals.

You want to add 1. Ok.
lemme think.
I don’t think you understand my question, I’m looking to get a new ride cymbal, the one I have is on the heavier side and thus too much. It sounds more like a rock ride than a jazz ride.

Jazz Turkey

Reaction score
20” Kerope

Or there are a few gems in the marketplace, too.

There’s plenty of swingin jazz in a heavy A, but a quiet, dark cymbal will make it easier to listen to (at least at first).

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grab a 20" A Flat ride Used for cheap and add it to your set up.

or an older used K flat Ride
add it to your set up.

Last edited:

actionjcl

Reaction score
20” Kerope

Or there are a few gems in the marketplace, too.

There’s plenty of swingin jazz in a heavy A, but a quiet, dark cymbal will make it easier to listen to (at least at first).
Didn’t think of the Kerope. Maybe I should look into that.

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Of the ones you listed, I’d go with the Mehmet. I’m partial to Istanbuls in general.

There’s also a really solid deal on a 22” Mehmet Mikael Z jazz ride on Amazon right now ($235 — check out the Amazon deals thread for the link). Never played one of those, but the videos I looked up on YouTube sound nice.

Really, though, there is no one right answer. Any of the cymbals you mentioned could work - as could dozens of other options. Just depends on taste.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe Morello did just fine with a simple 20" Zildjian 1950's A. They are very available today. Pick your favorite weight of 1800-2250 gm for whatever style best suits you.

Pibroch

Reaction score
Thinnest ever Masterwork Paperthin Flat Crash Ride! Would make an ideal sizzle - factory-ready for installing up to three rivets! Unique parallel lathing pattern. This cymbal will develop a nice patina and should mellow (or yellow) with age.

[With apologies to Gerry Porter of Hazelshould - one of my two main men along with Tony Costello of Cymbals Only]

Last edited:

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
I’m big into jazz, specifically jazz standards and modern vocal jazz (really digging Sachal Vasandani). I’m looking for a ride cymbal though and am having some trouble finding the right one. I’ve been looking at several, specifically Mienl Byzance Jazz Big Apple and Jazz Traditional, Paiste Master’s Dark and Crisp Dark, and Mehmet Nostalgia 50’s 21” sizzle ride (really digging Mehmet nostalgia crashes and hi-hats).

Out of those I’ve been looking at, which one would you recommend and why?
Hello. Your question is interesting in that Jazz by its very nature has no rules or boundaries. Hence, looking for cymbals for “Jazz” is highly subjective(I heard Tony Williams play live with a heavy rock ride and it sounded amazing).

I know this is not the answer you want, but buy cymbals and drums that sound good to you and inspire you. All the cymbals you mentioned are wonderful high quality cymbals from great manufacturers.

Just don’t order on the internet without hearing in person. If you can afford it, travel to a drum shop that has an extensive inventory and go on a weekday. 2 years ago I traveled to the Memphis Drum Shop and spent 3 hours testing cymbals. They were so different in person than the on line videos. I walked away with a Paiste Masters 20” Mellow Ride and 14” Dark Hats.

Have you considered a Flat Ride? I currently have 20” Paiste Signature FlatRide that was formerly owned by Dom Um Romao of Weather Report. I can dig into it and it sounds beautiful. I also have 22 Bosphorus Flat Ride that is super low and Smokey.

Good luck on your journey!

Last edited:

charlesm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This topic can obviously open a pandora's box.

To reply as you requested, however: Of the cymbals you listed, I'd be looking at the Meinls. I've played the Big Apple and numerous other Byzance models and I think they're really nice modern cymbals with a lot of character.

Outside of those choices, with where you're at, it might be good to avoid a rabbit hole right now and just go with a tried-and-true, simple design. A Kerope or anything in any of the K lines, really, that is on the thinner side will work well for jazz and be versatile.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
With vocals, I actually prefer brushes on snare to most any ride cymbal. Voice and cymbal share the higher overtones and sibilance, so a cymbal might be masking the charactersitc timbre of a voice.
Listen to your favorite vocal jazz recordings, or those of your vocalist, and try to figure out the cymbal sounds.
I could imagine lower-pitched cymbals work well, but with a long decay. A very subdued sizzle might work well, for a cushion or legato effect. I don't know the Mehmet you mention, but it might be a good bet. The trashier Paistes and Meinls might be too aggressive; a denser mix might cover up too much of the vocal overtones.