Looking for a jazz ride

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score

Canadian dollar / exchange rate works to your advantage . I had one of these , perfect balance of wash and definition . Crashes beautifully too .

Robert Albiston

Reaction score
Assuming you're talking about 70's and 80's Avedis Zildjians, they can be heavy clankers! They can work for Big band, but, not suitable for small jazz combos, IMO. A cymbal I like for jazz generally is the Zildjian K Custom Dark series. They are fairly thin, with a low pitch, good stick definition, crashable if you don't lay in to them too much, and less expensive than K Constantinoples. Very versatile cymbals.
I have two 20" and a 22" flawless Zildjian As I was happy with playing rock back at CBGB. I moved back to jazz and my singer wife heard that these were not suitable when I returned to small group jazz play. I've moved on to Istanbul Agop Mel Lewis 22" ride and a Zildjian Kerope 20" left side ride which has the dark patina. It is a joy to have the right cymbal type for the music you love. I do use one of the 60s A rides with sizzler just to shift into a little surprise here and there.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the listings on the site in cymbals for sale. Buy one and try it!

Robert Albiston

Reaction score
I’m big into jazz, specifically jazz standards and modern vocal jazz (really digging Sachal Vasandani). I’m looking for a ride cymbal though and am having some trouble finding the right one. I’ve been looking at several, specifically Mienl Byzance Jazz Big Apple and Jazz Traditional, Paiste Master’s Dark and Crisp Dark, and Mehmet Nostalgia 50’s 21” sizzle ride (really digging Mehmet nostalgia crashes and hi-hats).

Out of those I’ve been looking at, which one would you recommend and why?
Based on my listening to Vasandani, I think a relatively quiet cymbal with a darker and rather complex wash (thinness matters), and a clear enough stick would come in under the vocalist. This will allow you to really play with expression and nuanced “comping” without calling attention to yourself—until those trades later in the evening. The lines you are looking at are good. I had to move away from my early 60s Zildjian A big tides and am happy with a 22” Istanbul Agop Mel Lewis——it does it all and has true magic, but I might want to use a gel for less wash and let that light sticking be more “on top” sonically for Vasandani. I do a lot of great American songbook and classic jazz with the cymbal as is. A good flat 20” ride could be a very fine fit for the Vasandani genre, though you’ll want another with a nice bell. This process can take months. It is often finding the cymbal that sings to you when you imagine your music. Soundfiles have been helpful for me, along with going to a good shop.

Robert Albiston

Reaction score
I havent chimed in too much in this thread other than suggesting the 21" Mel Lewis. I suggested that because its almost impossible to not swing on that cymbal.

But there are many that are too mushy in the stick department or have a hum. So they are inconsistent.

I am in a bad mood because our school district is going to go in lockdown next week. So I need a distraction. Maybe ill post more at dfo. Or buy something i dont need to make me feel better for 5 minutes. Or sell something at a 90% loss.

Anyway.

Imo, as a jazz drummer, there is a reason why there are so many responses to your search. Some of the replies are very long and detailed.

The reason is,imo as a player of jazz for 38 years , is that its mostly the player.

A professional jazz player with lots of experience could play most any cymbal and cut the gig and no one would notice. Its how they hit it, the angle and stroke, the stick they use, and the volume and control they have.

So I say just get something safe. Dont go to extremes and drive yourself crazy trying to find "the one" or "the best". I say that from personal experience. Ive tried it many times.

There is no such thing. The grass is not always greener.

If you were my student I would shop with you and help you pick one.

And that is my last suggestion.

Private message one or two members at dfo and ask them. "Hi..i have $350 total to spend on a jazz cymbal. Can you help me find one?"

There are some jazz players here who would love nothing more than to help you spend your money.

In addition some people know what to look for on ebay and reverb and know how to snag a deal.

Ive actually done this for two friends. One person ended up buying a cymbal for sale here at dfo.

They gave me their budget. I found 3 or 4 options. They found one and are happy players.

And it was really fun for me.

Just a thought.
Second on the Mel Lewis, Istanbul Agop. Not cheap, but in the top jazz level.

Morello Man

Reaction score
Re: Mel Lewis ride; weren’t there two? Istanbul introduced Mel Lewis series...14, 19 crash ride and 21 ride w/2 rivets 2” in from edge and about 5” apart at ‘95 NAMM and, in ‘01, Istanbul Agop introduced Mel Lewis 1982 series...13, 18 crash ride and 20 ride. Heard a sound file when K Sweet came out and they sounded, ah, sweet.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Re: Mel Lewis ride; weren’t there two? Istanbul introduced Mel Lewis series...14, 19 crash ride and 21 ride w/2 rivets 2” in from edge and about 5” apart at ‘95 NAMM and, in ‘01, Istanbul Agop introduced Mel Lewis 1982 series...13, 18 crash ride and 20 ride.
And then there are Mehmet Legends, basically the same design, just with the different Mehmet flavor. Other Turkish companies have similar models as well.

KarnaKarma

Reaction score
if there's going to be a lot of vocals id suggest dryer cymbals.. the cymabals you're suggesting can be a bit too aggressive and have a lot of wash build-up. I'd recommend Istanbul Agop Special Edition 21" or Agop Signature 21". Zildjian K High Definition is also nice to go along with vocals

Pibroch

Reaction score
if there's going to be a lot of vocals id suggest dryer cymbals.. the cymabals you're suggesting can be a bit too aggressive and have a lot of wash build-up. I'd recommend Istanbul Agop Special Edition 21" or Agop Signature 21". Zildjian K High Definition is also nice to go along with vocals
Can you suggest an approximate weight to help narrow down the search for a good 21" Agop SE Jazz for vocals ?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP seems to have left building possibly switched careers

KarnaKarma

Reaction score
Can you suggest an approximate weight to help narrow down the search for a good 21" Agop SE Jazz for vocals ?
I think the sweet spot is around 1950g-2100g. On this range usually the stick isdefined yet it's dry with a bit of short warm wash that does not go against the vocals. I used to have one on 2039g and it had quite the presence on stage yet the presence is very subtle. the vocalist and pianist loved them

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP seems to have left building possibly switched careers
Yeah, he didn’t make it to page two. He checked out and hasn’t been seen since Nov 5. But he’s in Pennsylvania Joe, so maybe you can look around for us. I mean how hard could it be? :-D

No worries, good info posted here, so who needs an OP anymore? Keep it coming! :lol: