Looking for a low punchy snare sound for playing at home

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on drum, heads, misc. accessories, or tuning to get there. Sometimes a sharp crack is a problem for my ears. Thanks

TPC

Reaction score
Tune it medium. Put a piece of 8x11 paper on the batter head. Check it. Too crisp? Add another piece of paper. Repeat.

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love the original BFSD—I have one—but they kill the rebound.

I get almost as great results with an old drumhead with maybe four inches cut out of the center, or maybe off center if you tape it so it doesn't move.

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Use an Evans hydraulic head. I would second the thought of a 4" or shallower snare if you have one handy.
Yes! I run one on my Vistalite snare with excellent results. I have an older Rocker snare which is incredibly loud and I use an Aquariun Performance II for the batter, along with some moon gels. Sounds great--I call it my 70s Stan Lynch snare

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I guess I am going to have to try the detune a couple of lugs thing lug thing because I've tried most of the other suggestions and they havent gotten me where I want it to be. Thanks for all the good suggestions

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I guess I am going to have to try the detune a couple of lugs thing lug thing because I've tried most of the other suggestions and they havent gotten me where I want it to be. Thanks for all the good suggestions
Well, ONLY adding muffling will reduce the volume but won't lower the pitch all that much--if you need to go lower bust out the drum key and start experimenting...

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Maybe not exactly punchy, but the snare I use for my practice set at home is an old MIJ, without re-rings, tuned down with an old beat up Rogers coated head, the kind where the center has no coating anymore, with a wide strip of cloth running under that Rogers head. It is nice and low in tone and I can smack it pretty good and it doesn't get harsh or out of control.

The snare came this way with a hodgepodge of drums I bought a few years ago. I was going to take it apart to clean it up, give it some fresh heads and wires but found it works perfectly as is.

drumfx

Reaction score
Coated pin stripe head or CS coated will get you where you want.

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Maybe not exactly punchy, but the snare I use for my practice set at home is an old MIJ, without re-rings, tuned down with an old beat up Rogers coated head, the kind where the center has no coating anymore, with a wide strip of cloth running under that Rogers head. It is nice and low in tone and I can smack it pretty good and it doesn't get harsh or out of control.

The snare came this way with a hodgepodge of drums I bought a few years ago. I was going to take it apart to clean it up, give it some fresh heads and wires but found it works perfectly as is.
Cloth under center of head? How wide cloth or just a strip and what type cloth? Tee shirt like maybe? Seriously asking not messing around with you because I've got a head like that I could try

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cloth under center of head? How wide cloth or just a strip and what type cloth? Tee shirt like maybe? Seriously asking not messing around with you because I've got a head like that I could try
No problem at all.

The cloth is 6 1/2" wide, looks thin and is old. I could easily tear it with my hand without much effort. Maybe tea towel, probably not. It is definitely not felt like used on bass drums.

The bottom head is a Remo Ambassador snare side. The snare wires are trashed but like I said, for whatever reason it just gives me what I need for a lower volume practice snare at home.

Again, it may not be what you are looking for but what the heck, tear off a 6" strip of that worn 20 year old T shirt and give it a try for nothing.

Attachments

Latest posts