Looking For a Portable Kit

Nubs

Reaction score
I'm getting back into drumming and would like a portable acoustic kit. Doing some research, I've narrowed it down to the Pearl Midtown or the Ludwig Breakbeats.

I'll be playing mostly blues with a band (bass, keys, 2 guitars). I really like the idea of bagging up the drums and transporting them. The Midtown bags are really cool since it can hold the snare and toms in 1 bag.

What are your thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

PS: Forgot to mention I play lefty. From what I understand, both kits can be set up for lefty.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Hello fellow Lefty!,

When I was looking for a portable kit, I went with Ludwig...although mine's Classic Maple....

18/10/14/13x3

Given the choices you proposed, I'd say whichever one you can get cheaper.
Both drums are of SE Asian origin and will basically give you a similar sound.
Not that the sound is bad, but you're really not getting much of an upper hand by choosing one over the other.
Before you plunk down your hard earned money, you might want to check out the used market.
Ebay and Reverb are great places to check out.
Sometimes you can get "more" drum for less money going that way, but if you're solid on the two choices you propose, then yeah, whichever one you can get for the least amount of money.
...and welcome to the forum. =)

Elvis

Houndog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Elvis nailed it , I would follow his advice on the used option . There is just no pride to be had
playing a cheaper kit . That's how I feel anyway . I like to be proud of what I play rather than
"hey I didn't pay much and they sound fine " Just not for me . Once you play the right quality kit
there really is no going back .

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
I recently heard a Breakbeats kit at a wedding, the dude was killing it and the drums sounded good. If you have a good sounding snare and quality cymbals I don’t thing you can go wrong for the money

Nubs

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions so far. The name of the game here is portability and affordability. I need drums that can be packed up easily, thrown in a vehicle, and set up quickly. That's why the Breakbeats and Midtown kits appealed to me. I'm leaning towards the Ludwig kit as they come with bags. I can probably work a good deal for the Midtown kit and bags.

I'll check out the Yamaha also but if there are any other suggestions, I'm all ears. Well, just don't suggest an electronic kit. I just returned one I bought. They aren't for me.

Thanks again!

kzac

Reaction score
I'm getting back into drumming and would like a portable acoustic kit. Doing some research, I've narrowed it down to the Pearl Midtown or the Ludwig Breakbeats.

I'll be playing mostly blues with a band (bass, keys, 2 guitars). I really like the idea of bagging up the drums and transporting them. The Midtown bags are really cool since it can hold the snare and toms in 1 bag.

What are your thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

PS: Forgot to mention I play lefty. From what I understand, both kits can be set up for lefty.
I used a 20 inch bass drum version of the Yamaha Stage custom (96-98 version) for years to gig with, I had two toms (10 and 14) which both used tom mounts (No legs). I took advantage of the Yamaha tri mount and only had to carry one cymbal stand which supported my floor tom and two cymbal booms ... my tri mount on my bass drum allowed for another cymbal boom, or two if I felt the need...

I could fit all my drums (excluding the bass) into an MX (motorcycle) racers gear bag including most of my hardware. The other items fit into my bass drum bag. The trick is to get a bass drum bag 2-3 inches longer than your bass drum... Keep your cymbals 20in or less, and use a folding pedal, and every thing can be packed into two bags. The high hat stand you choose will effect how much you carry.. if you need more space an additional back pack gets you to only 3 bags total ... which I would use from time to time. .... Setting up was a breeze as I marked all my stands with various color electrical tape ... I could be on stage and setup within 5-7 min and broken down and packed in about the same time. It was one haul to the car.... With this setup you will need to carry only the small round drum throne .... you will sort out your version after a couple of gigs..... I used this kit for about 10 years gigging around town on the weekends....

I used a bag like this one to stow my drums and hardware in .. you can also get them with wheels... Just make sure to get one with big side and end pouches... Mine was probably 3-3.5 feet in length and had a long shoulder strap....

A bag like this will hold your bass and all your cymbals as the Stage custom bass is only 16in long....

Reactions: egw

CAMDRUMS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Tama Superstar Classic Neomod all the way! Shallow depth shells and big sound.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Im not a fan of the ludwig breakbeats. I would go for a yamaha stage custom, pdp concept classic or a gretsch catalina.

Further I wouldn’t go too outside the box. A 16” bass or shallow toms are non-standard for a reason. Good wooden drums with quality hardware are going to last longer and have resale value.

Mackermanesq

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a great PDP short stack kit (20 inch bass drum, maybe a little disproportionate to the rest of the kit, 10, 12 and 14 inch toms but they are 4, 5, and 7 inches deep respectively, so they're not as loud, but they do sound good). I can put the whole thing in a bass drum bag and a 14X14 case with a bag for hardware and cymbals. I haven't tried it with a trap case, which might consolidate things even more

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Depends on what you mean by portable. The Taye Go-Kit I had until recently fitted 5 drums into 2 bags very conveniently. That kit is shown here without the 2nd rack tom and with a different snare ....
13645142_10207034545130069_7094079664379324713_n.jpeg

Latest posts