Looking for a Premier Expert-Vintage

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have recently acquired 2 Premier Snare Drums... I believe they are both aluminum shells.
From what I have been told they are circa 1970's.
One of them has a small 'P' and 10 lugs with a center bead while the other has a large P with with 8 slotted lugs and appears to be a 2000 model
with the strainer extending beyond the shell.

I have attached links showing both
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Premier-Vintage-2000-Snare-Drum-Made-in-England-5-1-2-X-14-Chrome/264253250515?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055359.m2763.l2649
https://www.ebay.com/itm/323723616401

Any information would be helpful.

rock roll

Reaction score
I am not an expert but I can tell you...
Here's what your seller said and seems to be true.the one with the bead was premiers version of the supra phonic. Nice sounding snares.
it didn't come as a single item but rather came stock as part of a 1975 Premier Powerhouse kit which has since been sold. Snare has been stored for years and shows very little signs of use. It has been tuned and sounds terrific, but used only to get ready for sale.
If you're looking to add an aluminum snare to your collection, I suggest this English equivalent to the Ludwig line of COA snares like Supraphonic or Acrolite, here it is in near perfect shape.

The other is definitely a 2000 series, very nice snares. But as to wether it's cos (chrome over steel) or coa (chrome over aluminum) I can't say.

But there are experts on this forum who can tell you.

franke

DFO Master
Reaction score
Some info on Premier snares from Premier's "Rebound 3" (1990's) and the 1969 catalog.

Note that Premier was often vague with regards to shell material (i.e. "wood shell", "all-metal shell") because they often switched between birch, mahogany, and beach, as well as steel, aluminum, and brass.

Page 4 and 5 _ Premier Rebound 3.jpg
Premier 2000 Range.jpg

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The second one is a PD6021, it was a US only model distributed by Selmer in the 70’s. It’s an 8 lug, not 10. Basically Premier’s version of a chromed Acrolite. Here’s mine at the bottom with a 2003 COA & 1035 COS above it
EA713FBE-95D7-43B5-92ED-DCF7C3C990DD.jpeg

Last edited:

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
The one on the bottom has Beverly lugs . The center bead on the Beverly shell has a flatter profile . The strainer looks to be Beverly as well , its vent hole is quite small and badge was plastic script glued on . The top one has Olympic lugs

Verdict - a Beverly Cosmic 21 with a Premier badge riveted onto the shell . I own an aluminum one and have got to say it's as close to a Supraphonic as any other I've ever played .

Last edited:

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The one on the bottom has Beverly lugs . The center bead on the Beverly shell has a flatter profile . The strainer looks to be Beverly as well , its vent hole is quite small and badge was plastic script glued on . The top one has Olympic lugs

Verdict - a Beverly Cosmic 21 with a Premier badge riveted onto the shell . I own an aluminum one and have got to say it's as close to a Supraphonic as any other I've ever played .

It’s close to a 21 but the PD6021’s are 8 lug vs the 10 lug Cosmic 21’s.

Latest posts