Looking for a proper 1" Hole Saw bit

Tdipaul

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a virgin bass drum and would like to mount this Yamaha tom holder bracket to the shell.

The tom holder tube that slides into the bracket is 7/8" so I am assuming the hole in the bracket is about 1" (the part is in transit)

I plan on
  • mounting the base plate and drilling the 4 holes and securing it with the fasteners,
  • starting the 1" hole with the arbor on the tool, then
  • removing the base plate and finishing the hole
** there will be blue painters tape on both sides of the shell during all of this **

Is this a proper bit to do the job?

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What JazzDrumGuy said for sure. I've also clamped a smaller diameter scrap of old shell to the inside to prevent splintering.
While many of us might not have a "scrap of old shell", a small piece of wood will still help to eliminate splintering. Just take it slow and you should be fine! Use some sandpaper to clean up the edges, even though you won't see them. I do this when I drill holes...as it's part of my OCD!!

-Mark

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before you drill the drum I suggest a few practice holes in a scrap piece of wood. (clamp it down, the hole saw can be aggressive) This will help get the feel and gauge the behavior of the tool especially if you's never used one before. Use A variable speed drill starting off slowly. GL

kopterguy

Reaction score
I used that same bit. I drilled the center hole, went to the inside and drilled with the 1” part a little less than halfway. Then finished the hole from the outside with no splintering.

Medium Size Dog

Reaction score
+1 on not drilling completely through and drilling from the other side to avoid tearout on the exit. Big +1 on practicing on other wood beforehand. Try drilling all the way through on your test piece just to see how nasty it looks. IMO You could get a cleaner hole if you used a Forstner bit instead of a hole saw. They're about the same price to a little more expensive but you get a more professional looking cleaner hole. I would drill about a 1/8" pilot hole all the way through to help with accuracy for drilling from the backside and practice on other wood before risking your drum. They're available at all the big box and hardware stores. Good luck!

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I use hole saws as part of my (almost) daily routine as a trim/finish carpenter. Run the pilot bit through the shell (either direction is fine), and then "score" either side of the shell with the hole saw and drill the rest of the way through from the opposite side. Should be minimal tear out if done this way, and it doesn't need to be 100% perfect as each side is covered by a plate.

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A sharp 1" inch forstner bit will not splinter at all like a 1" inch hole saw. It cuts less aggressively. Just drill a small pilot hole to eliminate creep.

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had to drill a couple of 1" holes in some shells and I bought these step bits from Harbor Freight. They worked really well and made a really clean hole. I don't know if I would trust them for doing a ton of work, but I've used the smaller bit from the set for a few years with no issues.