Looking for a truly crashable ride

moosryan

Reaction score
I'm using a 21" A sweet ride, but it's a heavier model and it's not fitting the gig--great pie, but a little too dry and too much bell. Needs to play well with other vintage/modern As. Whatcha got?

Potentially interested in a lighter A or K sweet ride, or a 20" A Crash-Ride/Medium Thin Crash.

Happy to pay straight up, but I have a few cymbals I could trade (including the aforementioned sweet ride) if you're into that kind of thing.

Thanks!
Sam

SteveParadis

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got the Paiste 24” inch Giant Beat. You might have a look at that and listen to it. It covers both crash and ride. Be aware it’s a big sound. The bell is unbelievable. Good luck.

moosryan

Reaction score
I just got the Paiste 24” inch Giant Beat. You might have a look at that and listen to it. It covers both crash and ride. Be aware it’s a big sound. The bell is unbelievable. Good luck.
For sure! I had the 24" Reverend Al for a while, which is just the GB with a 2002 coating--I had to dump it earlier this year, in large part because I'm a skinny guy and lugging a 24" around NYC was just not for me. But also I'm doing more funk/disco gigs than classic rock stuff these days, so I need something a little quicker than a 24.

moosryan

Reaction score
Dream Bliss has great sounding 20" and 22" crash rides.
I think these might be a little dark/trashy for what I'm looking for--I haven't owned a Bliss in years--but I'll check out the newer stuff!

Drumbumcrumb

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does it have to be Zildjian? I’m gonna say that particularly with Zildjian, you really have to try before you buy if you’re looking for that perfectly crashable ride. Or at least hear it, or buy from a member whose description you can trust. There’s so much variability even in the same model/line that it’s hard to buy Zildjians unseen. K Custom Darkmight be a good choice, but some will crash easily and some won’t crash at all.

With some other makers (especially Paiste) there’s a lot more consistency, and generally you get what you expect. If you hear a GB you like, and buy the same model, it’s likely to sound the same.

Ive come to love ONLY rides that are perfectly crashable - I often have no dedicated crash at all. What better way to simplify/minimize than a cymbal that does both? A cymbal that’s not labeled or marketed as a ride OR a crash is a good sign. Also large thin cymbals labeled as Crash sometimes make great crash-rides. My kinda general purpose cymbals that do that best are Sabians - SR2 Thin are the most versatile, and XSR Monarch are darker, drier. Both crash very easily and ride well. The Monarch bells are more muted and dry, which can be good (or bad) depending.

moosryan

Reaction score
No, it doesn't have to be Zildjian! I have a set of Paistes I used on louder gigs--I love them, but to my ears, Paistes only sit right with other Paistes. I've never loved mixing them with other cymbalmakers.

Great to get some insight into the Sabian stuff--I have some older HHXs but don't know their modern lines as well.

Drumbumcrumb

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re absolutely right, Paiste plays well with Paiste. They have a silvery shimmer that sets them apart.

It’s hard to find a TRUE crash/ride, even harder if you’re specifically looking for a cymbal that’s not jazz-centric. But it’s a fun hunt! Cymbalsonly.com is one of my favorite places to hear the actual cymbal, and a worthy small business to support.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It’s not the sexiest answer but 20” Sabian AAX Stage ride…cheap and will do exactly what you’re looking for
I have one and yes it does.

Believe it or not, the redesigned A Zildjian 20" Ping Ride will also work, as will a Paiste 20" 602 Medium Ride.

Dan

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Where in NYC are you? I’m in the Bronx on weekdays and have a paiste 404 20” that is very crashable. Would put some cash on top for the sweet ride if you like the 404

Carlos McSnurf

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I use 18" and 20" vintage paistes 602 medium (not "medium ride". "medium"). Those are exactly crash ride cymbals what you're looking for. What is good is medium paiste cymbals can be found cheaper than other models.

owr

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey @moosryan if you're still looking I have one of the redesigned As from a few years back, a 20" medium-thin crash, exactly what you stated (I think?) in your first post. Also have a beautiful 18" thin crash to match. I picked them out as a pair brand new at a local shop when they came out. Haven't used them in some time, they're practically mint, hit me up if you're interested.

Steech

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meinl Byzance Transition ride has an amazingly cool and very short crash that lets you get right back to riding.

mewing

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use K Sweets for crash/rides; they work great. The size I pull from the bag depends upon the size of the venue.

Woody85

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a very crashable 20" Mehmet Original Light Ride available. It's washy but also somehow has a very nice bell to it. Send me a message for more details.