Looking for a vintage snare!

Halfogregabriel

Reaction score
Hello all, I’m looking for a 1978 snare. Trying to find something made my birth year. I was thinking a Ludwig LM 402 would be nice if I can find one. What should I look for to make sure any I look at are from this year?

Does anyone have any other drums made that year they know of that could also be options for me to look for?

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think Ludwig dated their drums that late into the 70's. There are badge serial numbers. But, getting them with "certainty" to 1978, rather than 1977-1979 might be all you could do.....short of a 1978 invoice kept by the original owner.

I know the Rogers Big R Dynasonic snare drums in the later 70's were serialized/dated by year. I can't think of any others you could date to 1978 with absolute certainty.

Last edited:

Halfogregabriel

Reaction score
I don't think Ludwig dated their drums that late into the 70's. There are badge serial numbers. But, getting them with "certainty" to 1978, rather than 1977-1979 might be all you could do.....short of a 1978 invoice kept by the original owner.

I know the Rogers Big R Dynasonic snare drums in the later 70's were serialized/dated by year. I can't think of any others you could date to 1978 with absolute certainty.
I was afraid of that. I will probably have to just start digging to see what's out there. Might just have to settle for something in the 1977-1979 range and tell myself it was made in 1978 haha. Thank you for the info this will help me on the search.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yamaha also dated their drums by year and month in 1978. But their selection of snare drums is pretty limited with the 000 series (super sensitive) or the 700 series (single tension). Finishes are only in real wood (natural) or metal.
But some real made snare drums. And the wood finished ones are nice.

Last edited:

Halfogregabriel

Reaction score
Yamaha also dated their drums by year and month in 1978. But their selection of snare drums is pretty limited with the 000 series (super sensitive) or the 700 series (single tension). Finishes are only in real wood (natural) or metal.
I will def start looking into the Yamaha selection and see what I can find. Good Suggestion!

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will def start looking into the Yamaha selection and see what I can find. Good Suggestion!
If you check out that 1978 Yamaha kit posted today - it has a period matching 1978(?) pre-recording 000 series snare drum in natural finish. That's one potent snare drum. But they aren't cheap either. And the supersensitive snare mechanism is not everyone's cup of tea.
If you're looking for a '78 Yamaha it has to have the letter "O" on the badge for 1978 vintage. By later 1978 the badges went to all rounded corners....so you will find them in either configuration.....and made in either Japan or Taiwan. Same drum. Same quality. MIJ's bring more.
If I were picking I'd choose one of these early square badge Japan made, real wood shells, preferably the SD 065 (14x6.5). When I see them on REVERB the prices usually are "insane".....lol. The Rogers 1978 Dynasonicb or Super Ten metal shells are the most affordable at around $200-$300 each. Those are also in good demand and not nearly as common as Supraphonics. The Rogers Big R Super Ten uses the same shell as the metal Dyna without the hanging carriage snare wire assembly.

https://www.drumforum.org/threads/yamaha-recording-custom-1977.181393/#post-2055653

Last edited: