Looking for big projection without big weight and price tag

dexter74

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm in the market for a "modern" (to me) used kit. I'm mainly a vintage guy but often gig out unmic-ed and sometimes get buried by the band.

I don't know a ton about kits made after 1980, but do know I've played some newer backline kits that sounded good and had much more projection and resonance than my vintage stuff (and yes, I know heads and tuning play a part) Currently playing a 13/16/22 rig, but also considering moving up to a 24" bass drum.

Any good, more modern kits you'd all recommend that aren't too hard on the back or wallet? Probaby gonna be starting with checking out some pdp concept and Ludwig epics. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's not a guarantee ... but a basic formula is that a thinner shell is quieter than a thicker shell ... SO MANY variables at play that will crush that, but it's at least a place to start.
With that said ...
The late 70s Ludwig, Slingerland, Rogers all offered the thicker shells. I can speak from experience with two of the three there (never owned a thicker Rogers offering). The thicker ones were definitely louder than the 3ply thinner ones ... well ... mine were anyway.

With more plies comes more mass ... weight.
So ... ... ... not sure I'm helping you.

The fiberglass drums I've owned were both loud and relatively light ... so there's that.

The aluminum drums were light ... mine were not all that loud, though. Perhaps there are others that are?

I also owned some Trick drums ... very loud ... not all that light, though.

I guess I might look into some fiberglass offerings. See if you can locate a MING kit that someone is wanting to part with.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Pearl Session Studio Select may be worth a look:

Last edited:

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The now discontinued Yamaha Live Customs will definitely do the trick but I cannot say they are the lightest of drums. Not the heaviest either though...If you can find a used one, may help the wallet too.

kallen49

Reaction score
Yamaha stage custom birch (search threads here, lots of info & acclamation),
Important to install good heads and away you go (see YouTube drum centre of Portsmouth video comparing 5 Yamaha drum models these are first, but as said, best kit for the money)

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean, Dexter. A few years ago I was asked to join a very good country western band. All I had at the time was my 1964 Ludwig kit. I tried a range of heads and no muffling, but I consistently found myself beating my brains out in order to keep up with the stage volume. I ended up buying a new Recording Custom kit to work with, and the volume problems were over.

But, you're not looking for that kind of expense. And, you don't have to, either. Practically any kit made in the last 10-15 years will do what you are looking for. Buying used, some kits are obvious candidates. The PDP kits you mentioned will do it. How about Renowns? Tama anything. Yamaha Tours. The choices are so many, you're left with that one essential question: "What color do you like?"

GeeDeeEmm

stevil

Reaction score
At the risk of thread-hijacking, I'm trying to sell a DW Performance Series kit that suits your needs well. It's listed in the Drums for Sale forum. Let's make a deal!

dexter74

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. 6 ply ludwig are great but pretty heavy for my tastes. Ditto for renowns. I'm gonna take a look at some newer (used) stage customs. Looking to spend 500ish and am just fine with "player" grade. My stuff gets gigged pretty hard.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Vistalite baby! Not sure how light they would be. But acrylic offers the projection. Otherwise a thicker wood shell will do.

Latest posts