Looking for dark, thin, large crash or ride sugesstions

codydee12

Reaction score
I recently sold all my meinls to bank roll trying new sounds. Where I live puts me about 8 hours away from any significant cymbal selection to try in person. That said, I am looking for suggestions from the zildjian lines.

I am looking for: dark, thin, dry, short sustain. Love the buttery sound of the spizz brian blade uses. I owned a 20 extra thin dry meinl crash and enjoyed it. I have a k con overhammered 22 and do not carr for it at all.

I currently I have k con medium thin low 22 (love it) and a k con renaissance 20 (on the way), 22 k con overhammed rude (hate it - too bright, long wash, and thicker than what I wanted).

Certainly open to used and older cymbals! Looking to spend under 500.

CAMDRUMS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Check out the Dream Bliss 24” small bell flat top ride. Also, the Dream Dark Matter Flat Earth 20” or 22” rides.

Thumper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use a 19" K dark that I feel might qualify. The largest crash I have is a 20" A Thin; in fact have two (not sure how that happened). Interestingly, one is noticeably darker than the other; willing to sell one.

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
I know you ask for Zildjian, but these might interest you - or not. Then you know :) Would add an Istanbul Agop 24" Traditional Dark Crash also to the trio played below (just search Youtube and you'll see/hear how one sounds). As with all cymbals, best to try before you buy:

Hope you find something that fits your needs.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There aren't that many short sounding Zs. Special Drys have been mentioned; a used Dry Complex might fit the bill.

Or, use a longer sounding cymbals and shorten the sound by using tape. Granted, it's not the same as with an unlathed cymbal, but you can choose from a wider range of sounds and also vary the decay. The perceived duration of the decay depends a lot on volume, context etc.

Reaction score
Trinity Dark
Great tuned B20 cymbals with a raw top for fast decay and dry tone. Our most popular line. Listen online.

Twakeshima

Reaction score
Definitely give the meinl byzance 22 thin jazz ride a try- super dark, low pitch, and it sounds like butter; it’ll get loud but the sound so soft and smooth. Works great with soft crashing to fill up space or with hard hitting to really make it open up. The other thing is it records beautifully- one of the nicest sounding cymbals I’ve ever heard when miced up.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely give the meinl byzance 22 thin jazz ride a try- super dark, low pitch, and it sounds like butter; it’ll get loud but the sound so soft and smooth. Works great with soft crashing to fill up space or with hard hitting to really make it open up. The other thing is it records beautifully- one of the nicest sounding cymbals I’ve ever heard when miced up.
I have to second that. I have the Meinl 20” jazz thin ride and I it’s an amazing crash. My absolute fav crash.

2000dan2000

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a couple K Cluster crashes... check those out if you haven’t already. Lower pitched than the Dark Thins or Sweets... fast open, fast decay

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paiste Dark Energy 19" or Traditionals swish 20"

60's Paiste nickel-silver Stanople 22"

markkarj

Reaction score
I know you ask for Zildjian, but these might interest you - or not. Then you know :) Would add an Istanbul Agop 24" Traditional Dark Crash also to the trio played below (just search Youtube and you'll see/hear how one sounds). As with all cymbals, best to try before you buy:
I have a 22" Agop Traditional Medium Crash. It's likely closer to a medium thin, and it's a wonderfully lush and warm cymbal.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My K Con Medium crashes darkly.

BUT: Don’t pass up trying an old dirty A Zildjian. I have a 60’s 20” at 1840 grams that’s so nice. They are often affordable. I think mine was about $125.

I feel old A’s get overlooked.

38E7E538-DD20-4E7B-8F3A-7091C9361339.jpeg
B416B165-0A77-466E-BE97-E5276DA87868.jpeg

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zildjian Crash of Doom seems like it would fit your requirements .....DO NOT be afraid to get one used.... They are already slightly warped when new and I find most folks have a Love it or Hate it reaction to these cymbals , they are frequently available used due to the HATE it factor lol. Be advised they don't have a ton of volume so it could get lost in the mix depending on your style of music... Also Sabian HHX Complex ....check those out you won't be disappointed 19/20/22" model crashes available.

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
Agree with the Crash of Doom. The Special dry cymbals certainly have that short sustain but much too dry for me personally.
not as short on the sustain but the K custom Dark cymbals are beautiful too.