Looking For Good Deals On Heads!

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Maybe I am the only one it is happening to?? My bookmark for a DFO is the “General” page. Now if I want to click the “Main” button to go to other parts of the forum there is a Sweetwater spam banner directly above it so every time you try to hit “Main” it goes to a Sweetwater Sweepstake.
They want only you to be the winner;)

dirtysicks

Reaction score
Maybe I am the only one it is happening to?? My bookmark for a DFO is the “General” page. Now if I want to click the “Main” button to go to other parts of the forum there is a Sweetwater spam banner directly above it so every time you try to hit “Main” it goes to a Sweetwater Sweepstake.
I’m pretty sure sure part of your finger is hitting more of the Sweetwater banner than the actual “General” link. I was having that problem too until I started being very careful when hitting the link or I’d just zoom in to make it easier to ensure that I hit the link instead of the banner... or maybe they do just really want you to win lol

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I love Cascio Interstsate Music. I usually keep a running list of needed items and wait for one of their flash sales. They do 20% off a few times every year.
DFD is also a good choice.
Exactly. They do different percent off coupon codes every other week (like “14% off orders over $149”) and they go up to 20 or 22% off a few times a year. I hate spam as much as anybody, but I sure don’t mind being on Cascio’s email list!

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Amazon Prime (member) has great prices just ordered 3, 14 amby coated 39.99 shipped. $13.33 ea cheapest I’ve found on the web. You also receive cash back when you use your Amazon visa

I would also note I am a supporter of local mom and pop shops but mine closed up this summer after 60 some yrs in bizz

ryevick

Reaction score
That's all it takes to lose your business?

Anyway, OP, call Sweetwater and tell them what you want. Most of the salesmen will cut you a deal.

GeeDeeEmm

I've actually bought a ton of various gear from SW over the years and they've never budged on a price for me. I was using them because of the extra warranty. They do have great deals if you can ever make it to one of their annual Gearfest though. Very, very cool event. I've been once. Every vender on the planet's there and making deals plus the free classes and shows. It's really great. I almost bought a one of a kind set of dark, dry hi-hats that Sabian hammered out right there. I wish I had gotten them now. Sounded soooo good.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I'll check around. I'm looking to buy the in about 2-3 weeks.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been happy with prices at Guitar Center when they are running 15-25% off sales which is pretty often. My last few orders on 10-16 inch drums heads (ambassadors) have run around $9/head delivered. On Ebay I've picked up cast off new pro packs of Remo ambs/emps/pinstripes for a full 5 pc set for $46 delivered (12,13,16,22, and snare head). When you start getting into mixing and matching your heads it's a lot more difficult to average around $9/head. And it's hard to get deals on any of the more intricate heads.

Old Drummer

Reaction score
On Sweetwater, although I was aware of the outfit (banner ads and all), I was shocked and frankly proud to discover that it's located in the town where I grew up. That just shows to go you that you can do anything anywhere if you set your mind to it.

No, I've never bought anything from Sweetwater, though did have a helpful email exchange with a sales rep when I was shopping for something. Instead I buy almost everything used, and for incidentals (like heads) I buy from a local shop where the guys are friendly, the prices reasonable, and I don't have to fool with shipping.

But then again I've gotten to the point where as a matter of principle I don't buy from Billionaire Bezos either, except when as strangely often happens I have an Amazon gift certificate. Those too are marketing, just like banner ads, and we know that Billionaire Bezos is winning the marketing wars.

My mom is near her end and I'll soon have to fly up there for the funeral. Maybe I'll go into Sweetwater while I'm there and try to talk to the owner or otherwise figure out what's going on. Heck, all the online retailers are doing the same thing these days, and I can't fault Sweetwater for doing it too. But I don't know how Sweetwater compares to other similar online sellers from the standpoint of treating its employees, providing customer service, and so on. I'd be interested in finding out.

Maybe along with sharing opinions about the manufacturer's stuff, we should share opinions about the retailers that go beyond who's offering the lowest prices at the moment. The retailers are our links, and there are other concerns besides price. Another thread mentions the frequently damaged goods received from Amazon's evidently slack shipping.

Related, maybe I'm in the ozone, but my sense is that the Memphis Drum Shop doesn't usually have the lowest prices on cymbals. It does have the most helpful videos, though, and based on my experience, has helpful sales reps.

I'm not against comparing prices, not by a long shot. I've got to be among the biggest tightwads on this forum. However, I also appreciate the value of good retailers.

I can't say about Sweetwater, but it seems unfair to me to disparage it because of banner ads.

ryevick

Reaction score
Maybe I'll go into Sweetwater while I'm there and try to talk to the owner or otherwise figure out what's going on. Heck, all the online retailers are doing the same thing these days, and I can't fault Sweetwater for doing it too. But I don't know how Sweetwater compares to other similar online sellers from the standpoint of treating its employees, providing customer service, and so on. I'd be interested in finding out.
I'm not trying to do a promo for Sweetwater here, heck the salesman I had for a long time finally just pushed a button and I contacted the 2 highest people at Sweetwater, one being the President/Founder. They changed my sales guy but not before I let them know they lost a nice sale from me on a bass guitar and a synthesizer. I'll be giving another chance soon.

That being said... I can tell you the place is pretty dang cool. It's like a small college campus. It has several performance stages including a large outdoor amphitheater, class rooms, a recording studio and a lot more. They have big name concerts there on a regular basis and are very heavily involved with musical education programs. If you live in or near Fort Wayne I would definitely say you are very lucky to be near their facility for all that they have, especially Gearfest. You can bring your tent and campout with other musicians, engineers, etc that may be near you. It's a 2-3 day education, sale, concert and basically a party at night in the camping areas with acoustic guitars, hand percussion sing alongs and jams. It's pretty great and we'll organized. Not to mention it's a great way to meet new people and network.

As for their employees many but not all are very experienced musicians themselves. They all go through weekly training classes to keep up to date with the industry.

Here are 3 videos that may be interesting to some. An interview, part of an indoor theater discussion/performance and a concert at the amphitheater.

[
]

Last edited:

stuart s

Reaction score
Most all internet retailers now charge OOS tax. I used to buy from Interstate/Cascio quite a bit through from their site or ebay store, but even ebay charges taxes. The still have gear customer service and % off deals to help with tax. So I still buy from them unless Amazon Prime has a lower price.

Drums and Drums Accessories prices seem fixed and I wish the feds would look into see if there is indeed price fixing. Also Guitar Center owns too many web stores and seems to be part of the problem. Sam ash seems to exist only to justify the true monopoly so no one can say anything.

It also seems some retailers will sell "open box" items like cymbals to move the product and to stray from the price fixing, when I get the item, its untouched and brand new while guitar center will try to sell you a floor model scratched and marred as new.

I'm also sick of these sellers selling at full retail and advertising 0% financing, but if you use a coupon or get a discount from the rep, there is no 0%, now there in collusion with the bankers.

Reverb, Cascio and Amazon are the only places I will shop now.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Most all internet retailers now charge OOS tax. I used to buy from Interstate/Cascio quite a bit through from their site or ebay store, but even ebay charges taxes. The still have gear customer service and % off deals to help with tax. So I still buy from them unless Amazon Prime has a lower price.

Drums and Drums Accessories prices seem fixed and I wish the feds would look into see if there is indeed price fixing. Also Guitar Center owns too many web stores and seems to be part of the problem. Sam ash seems to exist only to justify the true monopoly so no one can say anything.

It also seems some retailers will sell "open box" items like cymbals to move the product and to stray from the price fixing, when I get the item, its untouched and brand new while guitar center will try to sell you a floor model scratched and marred as new.

I'm also sick of these sellers selling at full retail and advertising 0% financing, but if you use a coupon or get a discount from the rep, there is no 0%, now there in collusion with the bankers.

Reverb, Cascio and Amazon are the only places I will shop now.
How much experience do you have in retail sales?