Looking for info on Spizz cymbal.

Drumbelly

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have this cymbal. It is an early Roberto Spizzichino “Spizz” cymbal that I got from Joe Cusatis Modern Drum Shop in the “I think” late ‘80s, the shops‘ drum tech Willie Hernandez sold it to me. It is a 22” with 3 rivet holes drilled in a triangle pattern. It is signed under the bell and is marked “ride”. It’s pretty heavy 2731 grams, but plays lighter to me. It definitely works for Jazz and blues but always reminded me of the ride that Baker used on Fresh Cream. Any information would be great as I’m not very familiar with Spizz. Here are some pics.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

another_drummer

Reaction score
Nice one. There is no nomenclature yet, maybe these will once be called pre-Bespeco Spizz? Arguably the best logo ever. If it sounds nice it can sell for a price well north of USD 500, it is a legit Spizzichino, albeit an early one. Don‘t really see people collect though, the guy in Italy is still sitting on his insanely rare full set of Antique The Bygone Sound cymbals by Roberto.

03EC273F-A157-470B-80FF-C8BA75EAABCB.jpeg

Drumbelly

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice one. There is no nomenclature yet, maybe these will once be called pre-Bespeco Spizz? Arguably the best logo ever. If it sounds nice it can sell for a price well north of USD 500, it is a legit Spizzichino, albeit an early one. Don‘t really see people collect though, the guy in Italy is still sitting on his insanely rare full set of Antique The Bygone Sound cymbals by Roberto.

View attachment 505105
Thanks for the info, this cymbal does sound great, I’m just not using it. Do you know when that Joey Baron ad ran?

another_drummer

Reaction score
The ad ran in 1986. As far as I know, most of the early Spizzichinos were Medium to Medium-Heavy.

another_drummer

Reaction score
Please feel free to share any of your findings. To me the fact alone that Modern Drum Shop would commission these instruments by an independent Italian cymbalmaker (who by then already was pretty much at the height of his craft and had studied the qualities of the great old K's for more than a decade, so it's not like these were "trial and error" first batches) and actively advertise them as "the best" says a lot about their sonic qualities, so I have no doubt yours is a great and unique cymbal.

Drumbelly

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to share any of your findings. To me the fact alone that Modern Drum Shop would commission these instruments by an independent Italian cymbalmaker (who by then already was pretty much at the height of his craft and had studied the qualities of the great old K's for more than a decade, so it's not like these were "trial and error" first batches) and actively advertise them as "the best" says a lot about their sonic qualities, so I have no doubt yours is a great and unique cymbal.
The only hands on experience I’ve had with the later Spizzichino cymbals was some I saw in a shop in NYC, might have been Cusatis’ place again. I found them all too thin and frail for me and very low pitch or dark as a jazzer might appreciate more than I. This early one seems more substantial in weight and more versatile, and would work in blues or soft rock and certainly a jazz setting. The bell is very easy to play Latin or offbeats because it is pretty large for a “Jazz” cymbal. I wonder where he sourced his blanks from at that time? It sounds like the cymbal Baker used on Fresh Cream. I will try to make a sound sample or video of it soon.

another_drummer

Reaction score
Sound or video would be appreciated. These hardly ever show up. Never seen one here in Europe which makes me think they all went to Modern Drum Shop. As for the blanks, I can only assume they were Asian. If he had been able to source Turkish blanks from the beginning, guess he would have stayed with them. But that is only an assumption.

Would love to get my hands on one from that era, but I am kinda used to his thin dark and complex ones (my favourite 22 is 2180 grams), else I would have probably already shot you an offer.

Redfern

Reaction score
The red label SPIZZ cymbals were the Wuhan collaboration. Definitely Asian alloys. Not his best work. Still cool for a Spizzichino fan.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have this cymbal. It is an early Roberto Spizzichino “Spizz” cymbal that I got from Joe Cusatis Modern Drum Shop in the “I think” late ‘80s, the shops‘ drum tech Willie Hernandez sold it to me. It is a 22” with 3 rivet holes drilled in a triangle pattern. It is signed under the bell and is marked “ride”. It’s pretty heavy 2731 grams, but plays lighter to me. It definitely works for Jazz and blues but always reminded me of the ride that Baker used on Fresh Cream. Any information would be great as I’m not very familiar with Spizz. Here are some pics.
you should have if you don't..The Cymbal Book from Hugo Pinksterboer;

There is foundational RSpizzichino cymbal info in it.
Can probably read the excerpts from a google link; But have the Book if you don't own it already..

(some of it not all) like here

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there no metal imprint Insignia anywhere on that cymbal? I'd say 2) that signature underneath the cup is your money moment guard it

Tama CW

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sound video seems similar to Zildjian trans and large stamps. That same, deep, dark, dry sound.

The only Spizz's I've run into in the past 1-2 yrs was a Boston area drum shop selling a set of 14" hats on FB. And I don't think those were the signed versions. They were asking $675-$750 as I recall. They didn't have them very long
so I would guess they got a price not far from what they were asking. I'd think this 22" is considerably more "important."

Drumbelly

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
you should have if you don't..The Cymbal Book from Hugo Pinksterboer;

There is foundational RSpizzichino cymbal info in it.
Can probably read the excerpts from a google link; But have the Book if you don't own it already..

(some of it not all) like here
Thanks, my buddy has that book, I’ll check it out.

Reactions: JDA

Drumbelly

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sound video seems similar to Zildjian trans and large stamps. That same, deep, dark, dry sound.

The only Spizz's I've run into in the past 1-2 yrs was a Boston area drum shop selling a set of 14" hats on FB. And I don't think those were the signed versions. They were asking $675-$750 as I recall. They didn't have them very long
so I would guess they got a price not far from what they were asking. I'd think this 22" is considerably more "important."
Right, like the older Zildjians, that’s why it reminded me of the Ginger Baker ride on Fresh Cream. All I need is about 17 more rivets :)

Drumbelly

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you decide to sell it have a contract drawn up that forbids gram weight marking under the bell for eternity under penalty of death.
That’s hilarious! I have a couple of friends that won’t buy a cymbal below or above a certain weight and it drives me nuts. This cymbal is fairly heavy but really plays lighter to me, so I let the stick and my ears decide if I like the sound/feel. I guess if you are buying old Ks the weights have a sweet spot, but in a handmade hand hammered cymbal like this it could just be the sound Roberto was going for. Might be versatile enough to make a nice organ trio or blues cymbal as well. Sadly my playing days are just at hobby level now.

Last edited by a moderator: