Looking for new rock crash- NOT harsh

Twakeshima

Reaction score
I currently have a Zildjian Avedis 18” medium crash. I’m using it as my main crash, but it’s a bit too harsh. Looking into replacing it with a somewhat dark crash with a fast attack and no smaller than 17. Any brand welcome. I play everything from funk to hard rock. I need something that’s good for crash-riding. Any suggestions?

cplueard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The new sabian AAX (Or one of the pre-runs, the Sabian AAX Concept) are perfect for this. Check out some of their X-plosion or Fast crashes.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Your "want" list is my "don't like" list.
I've got both 19 and 20 Paiste 602 Modern Essentials Crashes. I don't like them because they are quick, too low in pitch, and are missing the shimmer.
You may want to check out the 19 and 20 ME crashes. I'd avoid the 18 and smaller as the ones I tried felt a bit thick and had an annoying metalic platey-ness to them.
I think you might enjoy those bigger ME crashes as they definitely fit your descriptors.
PM me if you want to pick mine up ... they will be departing as I find replacements. I've also got a Paiste 20 602 Thin Crash that will be getting the boot when I find a replacement.

Twakeshima

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I’ve been looking at the Paiste 602 Modern Essentials and the Sabian AAX xplosion. But suggestions are still welcome.

Twakeshima

Reaction score
Only problem is I’m worried that the Paiste will be too harsh. The Crash I’m using right now is ear piercing- is this one too harsh?

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
The 19 and 20 ME are anything but harsh. Very warm and dark and quick. Not much shimmer and quick ... which is why I don’t like them.

Get to a store and put your stick on them. Put a Sabian xplosion and the ME side by side. Night and day. I had one of those xplosion crashes For about an hour. Paid to ship it back. WAY to harsh.

You sound like you need to travel and test the cymbals.

egw

Reaction score
You might want to check out Zildjian A Customs. The Crashes are smooth as butter. I think they have "Mediums" in the lineup now too, which are a bit heavier. I'm talking about the standard Crashes.

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
I was going to say A custom as well, but if you’re looking for something a bit darker K Customs are beautiful.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with the 18 GB, an 18 Sig Full, or 17, or 18 DE.

jaymandude

Reaction score
I can’t recommend anything until I see and hear you play. Seriously.

you’re 23 and self taught and hitting hard You’re 42 and classically trained with a lighter touch. Both are great. Cymbals respond differently to different players. It’s so hard to say what would work for you

Twakeshima

Reaction score
I can’t recommend anything until I see and hear you play. Seriously.

you’re 23 and self taught and hitting hard You’re 42 and classically trained with a lighter touch. Both are great. Cymbals respond differently to different players. It’s so hard to say what would work for you
Getting a good quality video/audio is gonna be hard right now as I’m not set up. But I can tell you I’m a pretty hard hitter.

jaymandude

Reaction score
Getting a good quality video/audio is gonna be hard right now as I’m not set up. But I can tell you I’m a pretty hard hitter.
Cool. How much sonic space do you want to fill ? An 18 might sound good at home or small rooms but seem thin in a bigger club. A 19 or 20 might respond slower But will be wider. But if you go too thin on the big cymbals they can end up sounding like big splashes. Sonit can be hard to tell, depends on the player. You dig ?

this is my opinion only. But a lot of rock guys I think crash ride 20’s more than 18’s

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Check out the Zildjian K Sweet crashes. I have a 19" and it's awesome. I've been super curious about the Cluster crashes. Sometimes I just crave the trash...

Latest posts