Looking for new rock crash- NOT harsh

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You might want to check out Zildjian A Customs. The Crashes are smooth as butter. I think they have "Mediums" in the lineup now too, which are a bit heavier. I'm talking about the standard Crashes.
The larger A Customs are pretty mellow given their thin weight. I've played an 18 and 20 for years and they are smooth as mentioned above. The Fast crashes can sound "thin" and the Mediums and Projections can get gongy, but the plain ol' crashes hit that Goldilocks "just right" space.

Reactions: egw

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Your better off getting the AAX plosion fast crashes if you go that route. There thinner and don’t cry out so long. The AAX concept crashes are thin and very shimmery which is the opposite of a A med crash.
After reading more of from this thread, I think AAX would be a good place tp start, plus pretty much every music store you stop at will have em in stock.
I didn't keep it long enough to see how long it would last, but they're not light cymbals

jaymandude

Reaction score
After reading more of from this thread, I think AAX would be a good place tp start, plus pretty much every music store you stop at will have em in stock.
I didn't keep it long enough to see how long it would last, but they're not light cymbals
Yeah. AAX or A Custom for the first look. Then to thinner and hammered if those are too heavy. Shouldn’t be too hard to find something.

Twakeshima

Reaction score
Cool. How much sonic space do you want to fill ? An 18 might sound good at home or small rooms but seem thin in a bigger club. A 19 or 20 might respond slower But will be wider. But if you go too thin on the big cymbals they can end up sounding like big splashes. Sonit can be hard to tell, depends on the player. You dig ?

this is my opinion only. But a lot of rock guys I think crash ride 20’s more than 18’s
Right now I’m about to set up in a large basement. Looking for a cymbal that’s good for recording and won’t overpower the rest of the kit. Maybe a bit larger is the way to go? Honestly not sure.

Twakeshima

Reaction score
After reading everything so far everyone’s saying A customs or AAX. Maybe I’ll try a few out next to each other soon.

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Have you listened to an 18" hhx Manhattan jazz crash yet?

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
I just picked up a 20” ride that I’m going to use more as a crash after I heard/watched a YT video and liked it a lot. It was unexpected since I was watching to hear the different crashes in the same video, but when that ride was crashed I recognized it as a sound I could really use. Not harsh at all, it had a very good musical blend with the heavy guitar music he was playing along with.

I’ll find the link to the video and post it later. It was a Meinl Classic Custom Dark 20” ride.

The best part is I found it used on GC online for about $100 less than new. If it’s in good shape I’ll be happy.

Last edited:

Twakeshima

Reaction score
I just picked up a 20” ride that I’m going to use more as a crash after I heard/watched a YT video and liked it a lot. It was unexpected since I was watching to hear the different crashes in the same video, but when ride was crashed I recognized it as a sound I could really use. Not harsh at all, it had a very good musical blend with the heavy guitar music he was playing along with.

I’ll find the link to the video and post it later. It was a Meinl Classic Custom Dark 20” ride.

The best part is I found it used on GC online for about $100 less than new. If it’s in good shape I’ll be happy.
I’m using the meinl thin jazz ride as a crash on my left. Super washy but I love it. That sounds like an awesome dea man. Good for you.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow that sounds great. Seriously considering it. But does it still sound good when hit hard?
I’m betting it sounds great hit hard. I’ve played a bunch of these, almost all sounded great at all volume levels. Can’t beat the price on them, either.

Wxmaggot

Reaction score
I’m betting it sounds great hit hard. I’ve played a bunch of these, almost all sounded great at all volume levels. Can’t beat the price on them, either.
Long time Sabian player. I've been saying for a few years now that I wanna buy some cymbals from the Xist line. Haven't yet. That cymbal shown above sounds wonderful. I also agree that (from all I've heard) the Xist line for the money are great!

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The OP's initial description sounds like an early 1990's IAK 18" dark crash I just sold. It was both warm, dark, and actually crashed sort of fast despite being 1690 gm. Really full body crash acting bigger than its 18"size. It was a pretty good ride too. Bell was excellent. Pretty close to a 3-way cymbal. Not a bit of harshness in it. Sorry to see it go but I pretty much stick with the A's. Was able to buy it off Reverb for $115 delivered. The A Customs are pretty good too. If you want a standard A like you describe (less harsh) you'd probably have to go back into the 60's....maybe even the 50's. I find many Zildjian 18 A's to have that touch of "harshness" in them. It's not that easy to find a "sweeter" or "mellow" one. I've had them with a bit of harshness even as low as 1350 gm.

Last edited:

Twakeshima

Reaction score
The OP's initial description sounds like an early 1990's IAK 18" dark crash I just sold. It was both warm, dark, and actually crashed sort of fast despite being 1690 gm. Really full body crash acting bigger than its 18"size. It was a pretty good ride too. Bell was excellent. Pretty close to a 3-way cymbal. Not a bit of harshness in it. Sorry to see it go but I pretty much stick with the A's. Was able to buy it off Reverb for $115 delivered. The A Customs are pretty good too. If you want a standard A like you describe (less harsh) you'd probably have to go back into the 60's....maybe even the 50's. I find many Zildjian 18 A's to have that touch of "harshness" in them. It's not that easy to find a "sweeter" or "mellow" one. I've had them with a bit of harshness even as low as 1350 gm.
Hey thanks for the reply. I had a 14 inch 60s Zildjian Avedis Medium thin. I cracked it a while back but in its prime the thing was amazing. Maybe I’ll look into finding a bigger one from the same era.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Vintage (60s or 70s) 18" A Medium Thin Crash. Or even an A Medium crash from the 60s or 70s will be lighter and more user friendly.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Meinl 18” Byzance thin crash brilliant. Fast, dark, shimmering and warm. Still cuts through. It’s a gem of a cymbal.

jmato

Reaction score
I think the Paiste Signature Traditionals are perfect for what you seek. Not harsh, shimmery, and fast decay. Not too loud. Lots of good suggestions on here too.

Latest posts