Looking for some advice on choosing an 8x14 snare

nmosko

Reaction score
Hello! I’m in the market for an 8 x 14… I currently have a 6 x 14 Mapex heartbreaker and a 6.5 x 14 Mapex persuader…mahogany and brass respectively. The object of the 8 x 14 would be to slam it with some rock n roll type music… I’m not trying to play jazz on it or have it in a really soft environment… It would mainly be just in my practice room or miked up in a big auditorium.

Im considering:

Ludwig raw brass
Yamaha recording custom
Gretsch broadkaster

there’s a video from drum center of Portsmouth that puts all three head to head, but you know how videos are…They will make anything sound good because they are trying to sell it.

i’m leaning towards one of the wooden models since I already have a deep brass snare drum that I am in love with. But at the same time that Ludwig raw brass is a great drum.

any advice or suggestions or experiences with these drums would be very much appreciated my friends!

Radio King

DFO Master
Reaction score
Personally, I would look into Ludwig's 8x14 Black Beauty. I have one and love it. I find it just as snappy and responsive as their 5 and 6.5 BBs, but with added depth. I also have an 8x14 Raw Copperphonic which is great as well, but the BB gets the crown.

FWIW, I've never had much satisfaction with 8" deep wooden snares - they just get muddy to my ears.

kickassdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Highly recommend the Recording Custom birch. I had never owned a 14x8 before buying it and it's crazy cool. Tunes beautifully all over the place, lightweight, and surprisingly sensitive for for depth. A real surprise jack of many trades!

Edit- the steel is also cool, I'm just more a wood guy. And birch can bite like metal in certain ways.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reach out to Gary Posey of Summit Drums to have him make you a steambent 8” deep snare . He made me an 8” Sassafras steambent snare and the quality is as good as any Craviotto or N&C. His prices are excellent as well .

Reaction score
I have a 8x14 Recording Custom, and a 8x14 Eames Naturaltone (which is basically a Recording Custom.) I keep the Yamaha set up for jazz, and the Eames set up for rock with wood hoops. Either drum could do rock or jazz, but I set up the RC for jazz because of the old Yamaha sensitive style strainer (with the movable cam bridges) that I LOVE.

There are only two snares that I have (near) duplicates of. The 8x14 Birch, and a 6.5x14 Vintage NOB. That says it it all right there. For both pairs of "duplicates" I keep one set up for rock and one set up for jazz.

The 8x14 Yamaha Recording Custom is a GREAT drum! Personally, I would get that (without a second thought!!!) over the other two snares that you mentioned.

MSG

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The 8x14 Yamaha Recording Custom is a GREAT drum! Personally, I would get that (without a second thought!!!) over the other two snares that you mentioned.

MSG
The Recording Custom is the only 14x8 snare I own, so I can't speak from too many experiences. I did once own a Ludwig Coliseum 14x8, but I liked the RC better, so I gave the Ludwig to a friend. I absolutely treasure my 14x8 RC. It's from the mid-1980s, piano black lacquer. I think I paid in the low $200s for it when I bought it used with a hard shell case in the late 1990s.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello! I’m in the market for an 8 x 14… I currently have a 6 x 14 Mapex heartbreaker and a 6.5 x 14 Mapex persuader…mahogany and brass respectively. The object of the 8 x 14 would be to slam it with some rock n roll type music… I’m not trying to play jazz on it or have it in a really soft environment… It would mainly be just in my practice room or miked up in a big auditorium.

Im considering:

Ludwig raw brass
Yamaha recording custom
Gretsch broadkaster

there’s a video from drum center of Portsmouth that puts all three head to head, but you know how videos are…They will make anything sound good because they are trying to sell it.

i’m leaning towards one of the wooden models since I already have a deep brass snare drum that I am in love with. But at the same time that Ludwig raw brass is a great drum.

any advice or suggestions or experiences with these drums would be very much appreciated my friends!
I've got a Super Brass, Hammered Bronzephonic, WFLIII Maple and a Black Beauty on the way. All in 8x14! You can't go wrong with Ludwig and I'll throw WFLIII in to the list. If you want wood: They've got the Ludwig heritage, incredible build quality, phenomenal sound and a decent price. I'd check them out. They build it how you want it!

For metal, I'd go for any of the Ludwig 8" snares. Since I'm still waiting for the Black Beauty I can't comment on it yet but from what everyone says, it should be fantastic.

Since your leaning towards wood, check out WFLIII:

nmosko

Reaction score
Update:

Its down to the recording custom, the Broadkaster or a custom build from Gary Posey at Summit Drums. I could get a phenomenal deal on the BK but after looking into Summit Drums I was very intrigued. Gary is getting back to me with some ideas. On the other hand, a lot of folks who have an 8x14 say that the recording custom is hands down the best. Soooooooo.....

cplueard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Reach out to Gary Posey of Summit Drums to have him make you a steambent 8” deep snare . He made me an 8” Sassafras steambent snare and the quality is as good as any Craviotto or N&C. His prices are excellent as well .
Update:

Its down to the recording custom, the Broadkaster or a custom build from Gary Posey at Summit Drums. I could get a phenomenal deal on the BK but after looking into Summit Drums I was very intrigued. Gary is getting back to me with some ideas. On the other hand, a lot of folks who have an 8x14 say that the recording custom is hands down the best. Soooooooo.....
I have a 14 x 8 oak that he made me. While I play all ways for money gigs I am a loud slamming rock guy for my personal ventures. This snare is an absolute behemoth when laid into. I've got it tuned pretty far up (that's my preference as far as feel) and it's this massively beefy crack sound every time a slam a rimshot. When you move away from the drum to a distance where the sound dissipates the remaining tone sounds like the thick 80's stuff instead of just a bunch of snare buzz with a bit of high end poking through. Get it made out of a tonewood with a strong attack and darker fundamental (Walnut, African Mahogany, Bubinga, Rosewood or my preference, Oak) and it's going to be a stupidly thick and cutting snare. Beef and rock glory for days.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Highly recommend the Recording Custom birch. I had never owned a 14x8 before buying it and it's crazy cool. Tunes beautifully all over the place, lightweight, and surprisingly sensitive for for depth. A real surprise jack of many trades!

Edit- the steel is also cool, I'm just more a wood guy. And birch can bite like metal in certain ways.
I second this! It's a bit pricey but IMHO, you can't beat high end Yamaha quality. Love mine. My go to snare.

RC814.JPG

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I will have my 14x8 Gretsch USA Custom snare until I die. I like the Broadkaster in recordings but haven't had the chance to play one in person, though it's probably for the best since I'm looking for a reason to spring for one in Cadillac Green gloss!:love10: Anyway, my USAC has a full, beefy tone and is as responsive as a 6.5 in my opinion. I've mentioned in other threads that 14x8s have a reputation for low 70s ballad sounds, but really shine at mid and upper tunings where they can cut through while still having a big, full sound.

JazzyJeff

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gretsch USA Custom or Broadcaster would be my advice if you’ve got the scratch. If you want something a bit less expensive, check out the Gretsch Swamp Dawg.
Would also look at offerings from INDe and George Way.

bfulton

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Why not call Josh at INDe drums? Let him know what your thinking, see if he has any thoughts for you.
The INDe products are all A+