Looking for some advice on choosing an 8x14 snare

Vintage Old School

Reaction score
"Slam it with some rock n roll" = 8" Black Beauty. It will punch everyone in the gut within half a mile. True story.
I second this. The 8" X 14" Black Beauty is a great gigging snare. Sounds like a fuller version of the 6-1/2" model.

If you can ever locate one used, my SOTA 8" X 14" segmented African Padauk is killer. An absolute marvel.

Larry B

Reaction score
Gretsch USA Custom or Broadcaster would be my advice if you’ve got the scratch. If you want something a bit less expensive, check out the Gretsch Swamp Dawg.
Would also look at offerings from INDe and George Way.
Agree. The Swamp Dawg is a great sounding snare, especially for the price.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello! I’m in the market for an 8 x 14… I currently have a 6 x 14 Mapex heartbreaker and a 6.5 x 14 Mapex persuader…mahogany and brass respectively. The object of the 8 x 14 would be to slam it with some rock n roll type music… I’m not trying to play jazz on it or have it in a really soft environment… It would mainly be just in my practice room or miked up in a big auditorium.

Im considering:

Ludwig raw brass
Yamaha recording custom
Gretsch broadkaster

there’s a video from drum center of Portsmouth that puts all three head to head, but you know how videos are…They will make anything sound good because they are trying to sell it.

i’m leaning towards one of the wooden models since I already have a deep brass snare drum that I am in love with. But at the same time that Ludwig raw brass is a great drum.

any advice or suggestions or experiences with these drums would be very much appreciated my friends!
I would do a Ludwig Standard Maple.
14x8, 100% Maple.
Good Bang for the buck.
Should be pretty loud.

The Ludwig page - https://www.ludwig-drums.com/en-us/ludwig/products/snare-drums/standard-maple

Video review and demo...

drummingbulldog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just got a Mapex MPX 8x14 a few weeks ago. For the money, you cannot go wrong. The hoops and snares had been replaced with diecast hoops and Puresound 20 strand snares. The throw off is pedestrian by modern standards but works great.

I also have a Tama Artwood 8x14. Both are really sensitive. The Tama was just the shell when I bought it only had lugs & throw-off/butt. I added S hoops top & bottom along with Puresound snares.

I'm certain these drums are aimed at rock applications but could easily be used in other styles. They both have a great woody tone & plenty of snappy response. They both feel good despite having different hoops. They have a soft feel if that makes sense. They are both easy to play. I got to use the Tama in the studio & it sounds unreal good.

I've never tried a metal shelled 8x14 so I can't speak on that.

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent choice!
I have a Gretsch Broadkaster 8x14 in piano black, 8 lugs.
You will be very happy!

metallitroy

Reaction score
Hello! I’m in the market for an 8 x 14… I currently have a 6 x 14 Mapex heartbreaker and a 6.5 x 14 Mapex persuader…mahogany and brass respectively. The object of the 8 x 14 would be to slam it with some rock n roll type music… I’m not trying to play jazz on it or have it in a really soft environment… It would mainly be just in my practice room or miked up in a big auditorium.

Im considering:

Ludwig raw brass
Yamaha recording custom
Gretsch broadkaster

there’s a video from drum center of Portsmouth that puts all three head to head, but you know how videos are…They will make anything sound good because they are trying to sell it.

i’m leaning towards one of the wooden models since I already have a deep brass snare drum that I am in love with. But at the same time that Ludwig raw brass is a great drum.

any advice or suggestions or experiences with these drums would be very much appreciated my friends!
I have an 8x14 Ludwig Black Magic. You can get them for around $300 used. Just a big loud beast of a snare. I absolutely love mine. I recommend Aquarian black Hi-velocity on top. Good luck!

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you're willing to look, the snare in my profile pic, a Slingerland Magnum, is my "it" snare. 5-ply. It just sounds right to me and lots of other people, too. Great tuning range. Hard to get a bad sound out of it.

Dan

criz p. critter

Reaction score
This is the IT 8" snare for me... 80s Tama Superstar. They were birch and came in blonde or "Mahogany" stain. I've had a Ludwig Coliseum. This is a much better drum, IMHO.

tama-superstar-x-14-natural-birch_360_32cc5b99848b5e7d638db71274fb2b30.jpg
s-l400.jpg

dirtysicks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The greatest 8x14 snare I’ve heard of played is an 8x14 Brady Jarrah snare. Not so easy to find now but truly superb!

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
OP, glad you found one, can’t wait to see pics!

Targalx, I have the exact drum-I don’t think I’ve really gotten it dialed in where it should be. Curious how yours is set up.

The Recording Custom is the only 14x8 snare I own, so I can't speak from too many experiences. I did once own a Ludwig Coliseum 14x8, but I liked the RC better, so I gave the Ludwig to a friend. I absolutely treasure my 14x8 RC. It's from the mid-1980s, piano black lacquer. I think I paid in the low $200s for it when I bought it used with a hard shell case in the late 1990s.

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
OP, glad you found one, can’t wait to see pics!

Targalx, I have the exact drum-I don’t think I’ve really gotten it dialed in where it should be. Curious how yours is set up.
Heads are Remo CS Reverse Dot batter with a Ambassador Hazy snare side. I’m using Puresound Blasters snare wire, too. Both heads are tuned about medium tight.