Looking to refinish Tama Starclassic B/B bass drum

jtknight

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Tama Starclassic birch/bubinga bass drum with a indigo fade laquer finish. Curious as to what steps you recommend during the dyeing and relaquering process as I am looking to match a red mahogany stain. I was already advised by a professional restorer to go with a QT alcohol based stain.

I haven't tested yet to see if the finish I need to strip is indeed laquer as Tama advertises. Curious what you recommend on using for stripping process as I want to sand a little as possible to preserve the outer birch ply. Have successfully stripped and stained birch furniture in the past but looking for pointers and suggestions and tools to use (i.e spray gun, vs dye rags). Thanks!

Attachments

Beefsurgeon

Reaction score
Stripping a sparkle lacquer is going to be quite a job--they tend to be on the thicker side. If you're going to stain it, then you've got to get it 100% down to bare wood. No matter what kind of stripping agent you use, there will be a fair amount of sanding involved to get past the sealer in the grain pores.

This can be done with great results, but it will most likely be quite a challenge. Please share your progress if you decide to go for it!