michaelg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing (and sitting on) the final product

hsosdrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Light and easy-to-pack come third. What comes first is "Will it securely and comfortably hold my corpulent frame?", and what comes second is "Is a back rest available for it?"

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Josh is just the man to attack this challenging design problem. While I can see hsosdrum's point, there are plenty of solutions already on the market for those with the larger presence. Companies have always taken the variety of the human frame into consideration ...... and usually taken the cheapest way out to avoid accidents ....... and potential lawsuits. We all carry the burden of the result ...... despite our own individual body size and shape.

I say it's high time for a truly lightweight offering, with weight limits determined conservatively and clearly stated. Plus the fact that for the right amount of money, a truly lightweight throne COULD actually be designed for any reasonable weight person ...... using exotic material and clever engineering.

I'll be close to the front of the line for whatever INDe comes up with ....... !

Mike

Jolo

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about making one out of a super lightweight Yamaha Crosstown Cymbal stand base though I weigh in at 160 pounds.

(The difference between a stool and a throne is about $50... It's called marketing.)

Last edited:

notINtheband

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Man I am so eager to see it.

My one must-have though is a backrest option. I play some 4-hour gigs and just can’t do it comfortably like the old days without one.
Hydraulic is also a huge bonus to me as I drop my Roc-N-Soc to the floor for set up and tear down, then raise to the roof to play (6’3” so long legs).
Cover these bases with lighter weight and it will be “TAKE MY MONEY!!!!”

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Man I am so eager to see it.

My one must-have though is a backrest option. I play some 4-hour gigs and just can’t do it comfortably like the old days without one.
Hydraulic is also a huge bonus to me as I drop my Roc-N-Soc to the floor for set up and tear down, then raise to the roof to play (6’3” so long legs).
Cover these bases with lighter weight and it will be “TAKE MY MONEY!!!!”
I want a backrest, too. I imagine he’s considered it. Will probably have a tractor seat as an option, too. Josh seems to be on the ball enough to have them in the pipeline.

kb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about making one out of a super lightweight Yamaha Crosstown Cymbal stand base though I weigh in at 160 pounds.
I've been doing this for a while now. I use the down-tube and seat top from an old Yamaha 700 series throne. I weigh about 165, btw.

Got at least 100 gigs on this set up and have had zero problems. It's more stable than the lightweight Gibraltar I was using before.

Of course the seat top is thin, but I haven't seen anything similarly compact and light that's any better. I really should take it to an upholsterer and get new foam...

The Crosstown cym stand accepts any 7/8" tube. Use a hose clamp or memory lock so you don't have to crank the wing nut on the stand.

Reaction score
Nice!

Im curious what they will bring to the table.

Yamaha’s DS550 is already really lightweight (and ofcourse sturdy).

1666424847767.png

You could shave a fraction of the weight by using the crosstown base from a snare stand or cymbal stand if you sit high enough.

The thing I don’t like about it is the seat itself. It's fairly padded but still too hard to sit comfortably for more than 20 minutes with my boney bottom.

The padding of my old 750 was a bit better but not much (I think a lot has to do with the smaller diameter which supports less bottom end so to say).

But adding padding and more wood like the Roc n soc means more weight.

So this would be the challenge.

Adding a backrest means thicker and heavier wood at the bottom of the throne.

Best would buy a universal backrest as Gibraltar makes:
1666424793351.png

At the moment nothing matches my Roc n Soc and P&D for me.

3C4F2E5C-28F6-4A62-BB2A-630B3A78BD21.jpeg

AA01BEA3-8C6A-4DE8-A863-B49EE3336CE3.jpeg

For now ill gladly take the extra weight for the comfort and back maintenance by a proper seating position, but I would love to see something that combines a lighter weight yet a great seating experience on all sides.

Last edited:

Jolo

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been doing this for a while now. I use the down-tube and seat top from an old Yamaha 700 series throne. I weigh about 165, btw.

Got at least 100 gigs on this set up and have had zero problems. It's more stable than the lightweight Gibraltar I was using before.

Of course the seat top is thin, but I haven't seen anything similarly compact and light that's any better. I really should take it to an upholsterer and get new foam...

The Crosstown cym stand accepts any 7/8" tube. Use a hose clamp or memory lock so you don't have to crank the wing nut on the stand.
I throw a Zildjian padded cymbal bag on top of my lightweight seat for extra padding... Works great!

Griener

Reaction score
I can't wait to get my hands on it. Given Josh's ingenuity, I'm sure I'll buy it immediately.

Griener

Reaction score
The Throne is my last piece of gear that needs to lose weight (other than myself).
Right now I'm using a Tama HT130 Drum Thorne with a Pearl Roadster top for comfort.
But Josh's ideas are usually much better than any existing solution.
It's about time someone took care of a lightweight throne.

Last edited:

ThomasL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think the easiest way to make a sturdy lightweight throne would be to make the tripod base taller. But every manufacturer seems to think that every throne must fit children and drummers who like to sit very low...

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
That....doesn't look comfortable at all. At least not comfortable enough to be called a "game changer". I'll be interested to see the final product.