~ Los Angeles era CAMCO bop kit registration ~

Osahead2

DFO Master
Reaction score
Flying to airshows across America in a B-29 Superf
OT: So this morning, I'm searching on these names Jeff Ballard and T. Bruce Willet and to my discovery, I own a red sparkle Oaklawn Camco 20/12/14 drum set with T. Bruce Willet stamp inside the shells... can somebody tell me more about him? I think he is a studio drummer?
20160609_143110.jpg20160609_135658.jpg

Reaction score
LA serial numbers have only been tracked as high as the 1500 range (or high 1400's) - It seems that the numbers were used in general per order - so an individual snare drum order might receive it's own number. Therefore, It is unlikely there were 1500 complete kits made at LA Camco. A better estimate might be 1100-1200 kits over the entire era.

Plenty of jazz was being played in LA at the time - even though LA Camco was known for a "studio/rock" sound, they did make a fair number of kits with 18" kicks. I've seen at least two in the past few years on the LA Craigslist (and barely missed them).

Let's say 10% of the kits ordered during the LA era were with 18" bass drums - that would be roughly 110-120 kits with that size. That may be a high estimate but we just don't know.

What is clear is how few ORIGINAL LA bop kits have made it through the years. Most of the examples on your list have been modified and refinished I believe. And a final thought - rarity does not equal value. I haven't seen the demand or high prices for LA like we do Oaklawn, even in bop sizes. Doesn't mean they aren't great instruments, just that the high collector money has not yet flocked to LA Camco like it has Oaklawn. Maybe it will in time.

Osahead2

DFO Master
Reaction score
Flying to airshows across America in a B-29 Superf
mariosdrums said:
LA serial numbers have only been tracked as high as the 1500 range (or high 1400's) - It seems that the numbers were used in general per order - so an individual snare drum order might receive it's own number. Therefore, It is unlikely there were 1500 complete kits made at LA Camco. A better estimate might be 1100-1200 kits over the entire era.

Plenty of jazz was being played in LA at the time - even though LA Camco was known for a "studio/rock" sound, they did make a fair number of kits with 18" kicks. I've seen at least two in the past few years on the LA Craigslist (and barely missed them).

Let's say 10% of the kits ordered during the LA era were with 18" bass drums - that would be roughly 110-120 kits with that size. That may be a high estimate but we just don't know.

What is clear is how few ORIGINAL LA bop kits have made it through the years. Most of the examples on your list have been modified and refinished I believe. And a final thought - rarity does not equal value. I haven't seen the demand or high prices for LA like we do Oaklawn, even in bop sizes. Doesn't mean they aren't great instruments, just that the high collector money has not yet flocked to LA Camco like it has Oaklawn. Maybe it will in time.
Excellent information you added about the overall numbers of LA kits that were produced during that era... however, I believe the amount of 18" bass drum kits made fall well below 100 kits... I'm just not seeing them (I search every day) but that doesn't mean they don't exist in large numbers and like you sometimes, I just barely miss them...

Another LA kit, I'm not seeing these days are the "concert tom" kits in any size... anybody have one of these?

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Osahead2 said:
OT: So this morning, I'm searching on these names Jeff Ballard and T. Bruce Willet and to my discovery, I own a red sparkle Oaklawn Camco 20/12/14 drum set with T. Bruce Willet stamp inside the shells... can somebody tell me more about him? I think he is a studio drummer?
20160609_143110.jpg
20160609_135658.jpg
Here is T. Bruce Wittet's drum website: http://www.tbrucewittet.com/