Louie Bellson with Oscar Peterson

W&A Player

DFO Master
Reaction score

Rick

Reaction score
That was cute! ;) Seriously though, loved Louie Bellson! And Oscar Peterson for that matter too! When I was in college, I attended the Wichita Jazz Festival in Wichita, KS one year (1978?) with our jazz band, and Louie and his band were the headliners along with Buddy Rich and his band. What a great show that was!!! Anyway, we had a small jazz combo that year also and had the opportunity to perform in front of Louie and a couple of his band members to be judged. I wish I still had a copy of that evaluation. He said nice things about my playing... but that very well could have been cause he was such a nice guy, cause honestly I was very much a beginner at that time. Anyway, it was super cool to get to play for him!

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That was cute! ;) Seriously though, loved Louie Bellson! And Oscar Peterson for that matter too! When I was in college, I attended the Wichita Jazz Festival in Wichita, KS one year (1978?) with our jazz band, and Louie and his band were the headliners along with Buddy Rich and his band. What a great show that was!!! Anyway, we had a small jazz combo that year also and had the opportunity to perform in front of Louie and a couple of his band members to be judged. I wish I still had a copy of that evaluation. He said nice things about my playing... but that very well could have been cause he was such a nice guy, cause honestly I was very much a beginner at that time. Anyway, it was super cool to get to play for him!
I met Louie in the mid 90s. Super nice guy. Just full of love.

kb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, Louie Bellson was the most musical of the drumming giants of the past generation when compared to the other greats such as Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa. Check out this clip of Louie with Oscar
Yeah? And what about Jo Jones?

squidart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I probably saw you play there. :) Did a road trip from KC with a few high school pals. I mean, what was the chance of seeing Bellson and Rich on the same bill again? You’re correct at 1978.
http://www.wichitajazzfestival.com/past-festivals/

Rick

Reaction score
I probably saw you play there. :) Did a road trip from KC with a few high school pals. I mean, what was the chance of seeing Bellson and Rich on the same bill again? You’re correct at 1978.
http://www.wichitajazzfestival.com/past-festivals/
Very cool. If I remember correctly, that was the performance where Buddy got really mad at the sound guys after a couple of instances of feedback.

squidart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Very cool. If I remember correctly, that was the performance where Buddy got really mad at the sound guys after a couple of instances of feedback.
Buddy? Mad? Hmmm.... lol