Love to Bun

trappemann

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have been listening to Cheap Trick since I was 16, when they first hit the magazines.

First bought "In Color" then the "Cheap Trick" then "Heaven Tonight" and "Dream Police", etc.

If you have not listened to the first record "Cheap Trick" you really should. It is the wellspring. You don't know them at all if you don't listen to that one about a trillion times.

After about the first listen, you realize that Bun is just EVERYTHING a rocking drummer should be.

I don't know how old Bun was when they cut that, released in Feb '77, but he had learned more by then, than most learn in a lifetime.

Driving without crowding. punching it, pulling it back, creating very different feels within a song, just everything you would want in a drummer.

I put it on the other day for a young drummer who had never heard it. We had to call 911 to re-attach his jaw. After that, he could only be heard mumbling things to himself about feel, intensity, groove and grace.

Took me back to the day I first heard it.

Most people don't own "Cheap Trick" or "In Color". They should.

Excellent lessons in Music, Voice, Drive, Groove. You can hear their youth and their maturity in the songs in a very profound way.

Just beautiful stuff!

Thanks Bun! You are so much more than you are given credit for! A drummer's drummer, a musician's musician, and one hell of an Elvis!

All the Best to you!

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Incredible drummer and great albums. I'm really hoping there's an official release of the Steve Albini re-recorded version of In Color, because the bootlegs are KILLER and the drumming is just huge and powerful.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I have been listening to Cheap Trick since I was 16, when they first hit the magazines.

First bought "In Color" then the "Cheap Trick" then "Heaven Tonight" and "Dream Police", etc.

If you have not listened to the first record "Cheap Trick" you really should. It is the wellspring. You don't know them at all if you don't listen to that one about a trillion times.

After about the first listen, you realize that Bun is just EVERYTHING a rocking drummer should be.

I don't know how old Bun was when they cut that, released in Feb '77, but he had learned more by then, than most learn in a lifetime.

Driving without crowding. punching it, pulling it back, creating very different feels within a song, just everything you would want in a drummer.

I put it on the other day for a young drummer who had never heard it. We had to call 911 to re-attach his jaw. After that, he could only be heard mumbling things to himself about feel, intensity, groove and grace.

Took me back to the day I first heard it.

Most people don't own "Cheap Trick" or "In Color". They should.

Excellent lessons in Music, Voice, Drive, Groove. You can hear their youth and their maturity in the songs in a very profound way.

Just beautiful stuff!

Thanks Bun! You are so much more than you are given credit for! A drummer's drummer, a musician's musician, and one hell of an Elvis!

All the Best to you!
You didn't even mention that he did it all with a lit cigarette between his lips. Makes me cry, even if I'm just sitting there with a heater in my mouth.

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Back when drum solo meant DRUM SOLO....Not a crashing, clangy, noisy, cymbal till the very end....BRAVO!

SKSMITH

Reaction score
The writing on those first three to four albums is genius. Rick Nielsen had a way with creating great stories about twisted individuals, like Daddy Should Have Stayed In High School or Ballad Of (Richard Speck) TV Violence and then turn around and write Come On, Come On, Downed or Oh Candy.
Robin Zander was able to create unique voices that fit the songs perfectly, Man of a Thousand Voices!
Tom Petterson was a rock-solid bassist. Nothing too flashy, although he developed the 12-string bass that filled the bottom.
Bun was the glue that held it all together, with a vintage Radio King kit!
Bun's drumming on the studio albums is first rate, but man, the re-released extended Live At Budokan is just mind blowing. He's on fire for that recording, it's what In Color should've sounded like. Lookout has always been a favorite, but Downed & the cover of Terry Reid's Speak Now Or Forever Hold Your Piece are just masterpieces! The last band I was in was pretty much all original, except for a cover of Downed, using the expanded Budokan version as our blueprint. What a FUN song to play!! Thanks Bun!!
Not really many famous drummer's old kit's I would like to own, but Bun's old Radio Kings & Topper Headon's chrome Pearl's I'd take in a heartbeat! (Well, I couldn't afford Bun's & Topper has no idea what happened to his...bleeping heroin…) Maybe that mojo would rub off on me!!!
First heard Cheap Trick in 1978 at 13 years old. Been a favorite, and an inspiration, back when I played, ever since then.
Steve

bkny110

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Bun E is missed on this forum. We know he got tired of the constant bashing of certain drummers and the overall negativity from a very few members. It is a shame that a man of his stature, knowledge has basically left. The negativity does get tiresome.

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think Bun still checks in here every once in awhile. I bet he sees this one way or the other; but I bet also he's a lot more interested in Ludwig stuff posted here.

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Bun E is missed on this forum. We know he got tired of the constant bashing of certain drummers and the overall negativity from a very few members. It is a shame that a man of his stature, knowledge has basically left. The negativity does get tiresome.
Carlos is a great drummer for sure but one of those guys who can dish it out but not take it. That makes for a short stay on any online

SKSMITH

Reaction score
Hey Bun,
Just let me know when you're ready to gift me those old, worthless Radio Kings!
I'll even drive up to Rockford to take them off of your hands! :icon_e_biggrin:
Steve

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Bun; I used to smoke when I played as well, about 45 yrs ago, and I remember the longer the smoke stayed in my mouth, the more it stuck to my lips. Then I couldn't get rid of if I wanted to, which resulted in a few burnt fingers and lips!...Ah, the good ol days eh?

sptucker

Reaction score
Thanks to this thread, I found my original Cheap Trick vinyl over the weekend and, after some finagling, got my turntable to work (which I've been meaning to do for awhile). I admit listening to this stuff was quite euphoric and made me feel like a teenager again (in a good way).

Thank you, Rick, Robin, Tom and BUN!!!!!

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
Back to Bun...something that is often overlooked here is his love of Ludwig drums and the positive contribution he's had toward keeping the brand relevant. I had all but forgotten about Ludwig by the late 80s; when I saw Cheap Trick and watched Bun bash his new Ludwig kit in the early 90s, it took me way back to when I was a kid. Then I saw the ad with Bun in Modern Drummer right after that show, and it helped keep me with Ludwig for a long time - the video tours of his drum vault were the next cool thing that kept my interest, not to mention his involvement with new wraps and models. I've been wanting a new Mod Orange snare since they came out, and really enjoyed the whole story about how they used one one Bun's pristine Mod Orange toms to match the color.

Buffalo_drummer

Reaction score
The writing on those first three to four albums is genius. Rick Nielsen had a way with creating great stories about twisted individuals, like Daddy Should Have Stayed In High School or Ballad Of (Richard Speck) TV Violence and then turn around and write Come On, Come On, Downed or Oh Candy.
Robin Zander was able to create unique voices that fit the songs perfectly, Man of a Thousand Voices!
Tom Petterson was a rock-solid bassist. Nothing too flashy, although he developed the 12-string bass that filled the bottom.
Bun was the glue that held it all together, with a vintage Radio King kit!
Bun's drumming on the studio albums is first rate, but man, the re-released extended Live At Budokan is just mind blowing. He's on fire for that recording, it's what In Color should've sounded like. Lookout has always been a favorite, but Downed & the cover of Terry Reid's Speak Now Or Forever Hold Your Piece are just masterpieces! The last band I was in was pretty much all original, except for a cover of Downed, using the expanded Budokan version as our blueprint. What a FUN song to play!! Thanks Bun!!
Not really many famous drummer's old kit's I would like to own, but Bun's old Radio Kings & Topper Headon's chrome Pearl's I'd take in a heartbeat! (Well, I couldn't afford Bun's & Topper has no idea what happened to his...bleeping heroin…) Maybe that mojo would rub off on me!!!
First heard Cheap Trick in 1978 at 13 years old. Been a favorite, and an inspiration, back when I played, ever since then.
Steve
Cheap Trick and The Clash...my dream double bill!

btw - Topper is a tragically under-rated drummer.

Latest posts