Loving Ludwig Weather Master Heads!

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm sure I'm not saying anything new here, and head taste is very subjective, but man, I'm really diggin' Weather Masters.

I love how I can hear pitch changes so clearly when tuning because they're not drowned out by cracking glue sounds. Head changes are much quicker because of the very shallow collars, and those collars make rims sit higher so that rimshots are more pleasing-sounding to my ears. Their coatings are long-lasting and sound great with brushes (or even my hands!). Their tone in general seems to be particularly flush with rich harmonics; crisp highs, warm lows, the whole enchilada of what my drums can produce, with no "plastickiness." Even the logos are awesome, classy and understated with a cool mid-century flair.

There aren't a tremendous amount of models, but I'm totally fine with that since I think most manufacturers offer way too many options. They're also not something you can find at any old Guitar Center in a pinch, but that's no issue with even a small bit of planning.

All in all, for my style of pretty light playing at bop tunings, these heads are fantastic. I really get torn between Weather Masters and Remo Skyntones, they both vie for first place in my setup sound wise, but the WMs have the edge in all other practical considerations.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree. That's not just a Ludwig fan gushing praises, because I took a very long time warming up to the idea of a drum maker branded head being anything good. I still think most drum branded heads are trash, but Ludwigs are the definite exception to that rule. I think they're better than anything else period on snares, as good as anything out there on toms, and I've not ever tried a Ludwig bass batter since the Vistalite set I played in high school band back in '81.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
For a snare batter, to me the Ludwig WM just has the _perfect_ balance between lively tone and controlled ringing.

bonzo60

Reaction score
I wholeheartedly agree. I had a set lying around and decided to put them on my '58 WFL toms & snare and was delighted with the results. They went on with ease, tuned quickly but at first the sound compared to my Remo outfitted Ludwig's was different. Hard to describe but I want to say they had a slightly choked, muted tone. The heads are practically new, got a deal on them and stashed them for a rainy day. Considering that and the coating being thicker I left them overnight and the next day...viola! They were singing with tone so I ordered a set for the bass. It's been chilly, damp and rainy here so maybe that played a part in the choked tone.

You can't beat them for the price...they're designed well, no cracking glue, a shallow collar that conforms to the bearing edge and a cool logo just like the old play-on heads.

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
Grew up in NY.. now, Georgia -NW of Atlanta
You can play with some what lighter sticks easier with Lugwigs and get good volume.

The shallow collar caused me a problem on another brand snare on the bottom snare side. The collar was a bit too high as to allow the snares to easily rest solidly on the surface. I was considering getting a Ludwig bottom rim to solve that problem. Ludwig heads are a bit thinner than Remo Ambassadors. That too makes them more responsive. Years ago my drum teacher told me to crank up the top heads a bit while they break in. It will make them more responsive later on when you tune them down to where you like them. Kind of like breaking in a baseball mitt by wrapping it around a ball and wrapping it real tight as the leather forms.

Coco Nabes

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A Coated medium batter really makes your Ludwig snare sound like a Ludwig snare. I beat the snot out of them way too quickly so I can't use them, but the coated heavies sound just fine too. Using Ludwig heads top and bottom on my whole kit and loving them.

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I prefer the Ludwig Heavy to the Remo Emperor since they are single ply and resonate much better...the are easier to tune as well.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
yeah, its my understanding that Ludwig heavies are the same weight as remo ambassadors. and mediums are the same as diplomats.

mike

RyanR

Underaged Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I also like that the logo isn't ginormous. :)

Supposedly, there's a coated power collar Weather Master for bass batters. Has anyone tried it? The only non Ludwig head on my Ludwig's is the PS3's on both of my bass drums.

-Ryan

pete2016

Reaction score
Bringing back this threat. After reading about these snare heads had to get myself a pair of those weather MAster snare side for 2 of my ludwig snares a 1959 transition badge 6.5 x 14 symphonic snare and a 1920s NOB 2 piece 4 x 14 8 lug dance model.

I was a bit skeptical about these heads. I bought my symphonic back in 2018, got a great deal for it was btw that and a Slingerland RK 7 x14 (already have 1950's 5.5 x 14). After talking with other owners and watching videos I went ahead and bought a pair of Remo Ambassador Coated for the batter and hazzy for the snare side. Also put tone cat 15" 16 strand snare wires as it is nearly impossible to find those puresound ones and the originals are ridiculous expensive. I guess it was ok, but noting spectacular. So, to the drum rack it went. When I bought my NOB snare this year it came w/ 1960's 14" 16 stand NOS snappy wires with evans heads. I changed snare heads to ambassadors coated and hazzy, they were ok but nothing out of the ordinary. To the drum rack for a few months.

I started doing some research about Ludwig snares and drum heads and found quite a few posts about weather master's. I went through my emails and found an old email from someone who owns a symphonic as well, when I looked closely to the pic it had a Weather Master on snare side and Ambassador on top.

So bought 2 weather master for my Ludwig snares, changed snare wires on both, used the 1960's wires for my Symphonic and bought new Ludwig 14" 12 strand wires for my NOB, Now...what a difference......!!!!
Definitely the sound was different, more sensitive, crisp. Really like the sound of these snare now.

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
Grew up in NY.. now, Georgia -NW of Atlanta
Bringing back this threat. After reading about these snare heads had to get myself a pair of those weather MAster snare side for 2 of my ludwig snares a 1959 transition badge 6.5 x 14 symphonic snare and a 1920s NOB 2 piece 4 x 14 8 lug dance model.

I was a bit skeptical about these heads. I bought my symphonic back in 2018, got a great deal for it was btw that and a Slingerland RK 7 x14 (already have 1950's 5.5 x 14). After talking with other owners and watching videos I went ahead and bought a pair of Remo Ambassador Coated for the batter and hazzy for the snare side. Also put tone cat 15" 16 strand snare wires as it is nearly impossible to find those puresound ones and the originals are ridiculous expensive. I guess it was ok, but noting spectacular. So, to the drum rack it went. When I bought my NOB snare this year it came w/ 1960's 14" 16 stand NOS snappy wires with evans heads. I changed snare heads to ambassadors coated and hazzy, they were ok but nothing out of the ordinary. To the drum rack for a few months.

I started doing some research about Ludwig snares and drum heads and found quite a few posts about weather master's. I went through my emails and found an old email from someone who owns a symphonic as well, when I looked closely to the pic it had a Weather Master on snare side and Ambassador on top.

So bought 2 weather master for my Ludwig snares, changed snare wires on both, used the 1960's wires for my Symphonic and bought new Ludwig 14" 12 strand wires for my NOB, Now...what a difference......!!!!
Definitely the sound was different, more sensitive, crisp. Really like the sound of these snare now.
The Ludwig medium heads are not the same thickness of the Ambassador head. They are a thinner thickness of the likes of a Diplomat. The Ludwig Heavy is like the Ambassador, and dulls the sound in a similar way. One advantage is that the Ludwig heads have a superior lock collar which does not use glue like the Remo and there is no need to set them.

I was told by someone in the industry that a lot of the jazz players use Remo Diplomats to get that responsive snare sound. I never tried a Diplomat myself. But he used to hang with some well known jazz players.

pete2016

Reaction score
The Ludwig medium heads are not the same thickness of the Ambassador head. They are a thinner thickness of the likes of a Diplomat. The Ludwig Heavy is like the Ambassador, and dulls the sound in a similar way. One advantage is that the Ludwig heads have a superior lock collar which does not use glue like the Remo and there is no need to set them.

I was told by someone in the industry that a lot of the jazz players use Remo Diplomats to get that responsive snare sound. I never tried a Diplomat myself. But he used to hang with some well known jazz players.

I guess it make sense to get thin heads for sensitivity and response. The new Rogers dyna come w/ thin heads as well.

I am thinking about changing the ambassador head on my Fibes Austin wood SFT with a diplomat (Already ordered one).

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
They're my favorite snare heads. With the Medium Coated (thin ones) I'll sometimes put a square or X of gaff tape in the center underside for just a bit more oomph.

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So are we talking about NOS ludwig ludwig heads at this point or have the remo made weathermaster branded heads come out yet?