Loving Ludwig Weather Master Heads!

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
From what I remember of the official announcement, they shut down their head production facility.
Remo now makes heads for them.
FWIW, back when Ludwig was making heads, they reminded me a of a cross between Attack! and Aquarian.
Prices almost couldn't be beat. Them and Attack! were the best deals on the market back then.

Elvis

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
Grew up in NY.. now, Georgia -NW of Atlanta
...except for the 14” snare heads.
Its been an integral part of that Ludwig snare sound. When switching over from calves skin Ludwig did their own research and development. They did not care for Remo's solution. Apparently, they desired something more responsive. The metal hoops lock the head in with no glue that will break like with Remo has. Aquarian found a way to use glue and prevent the breaking of it by a unique system. It is all about the head not pulling out of the hoop while playing. That is why we see those videos of needing to puch down on Remo heads till you hear the cracking sound... I never understood what it was all about until those demonstration videos began to appear. Attack uses the same metal collar technique as Ludwig.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
...except for the 14” snare heads.
Why would they stop production on ALL of the heads they offered, except for the snare sides?
Doesn't make sense.
Either make the heads or don't.
From everything I've heard and read, Remo makes heads for them now....even the snare sides.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Can you link to where you read that (from someone who wasn’t just speculating)?

Every post I’ve found so far supports what I was saying, but otoh they were all just speculating too, or passing on something they heard from a friend. I just now asked on Ludwig’s Instagram if they can settle it.

Last edited:

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This may not help settle the snare head discussion, but looks like they kept their technology and are having Remo make them to the old specs. I can’t imagine if the other lines do this, that the snare heads are any different.

DC93A7ED-BE80-4DFB-9E73-6CCF7C919B73.png
B9CF54CC-8A90-4BD3-837F-ADD5C5F87E2F.png

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
Why would they stop production on ALL of the heads they offered, except for the snare sides?
Doesn't make sense.
Either make the heads or don't.
From everything I've heard and read, Remo makes heads for them now....even the snare sides.
Their snare heads give the drum a special sound that sounds dull with a Remo in comparison. I used Ludwig heads for years. Remo in comparison to me sounded tubby.

Not that Remo sounds tubby. Only in comparison. There was a certain whack you could get out of your Ludwig snare (if you knew how to tune it that way) that Remo just would not cut it.

Keep in mind. Its just as easy to poorly tune a Ludwig as it is a Remo.

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
I just checked out the Remo site. Looks like they are now utilizing the Ludwig crimp lock hoop system as well. So? Ludwig has had a good influence on Remo. Its the kind of hoop technology that only Attack used. Ludwig has a patent on the technology, so it may explain why others were keeping away for the time.

Don't get the glued heads from Remo unless you want a duller sound.
https://remo.com/products/product/emperor-suede-crimplock/

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Remo has been doing the crimplock heads for years, but only for their marching heads. Their regular heads couldn't handle the high tension.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I seem to remember a video where someone from Remo claimed the cracking nise wasn't the glue, but had to do with seating the head?
The material within the hoop, glue or no glue, might influence the sound somewhat. After all the drum hoop material makes a difference as well.
I have a Ludwig snare side head on one drum. Sound good, but I don't change snare side heads very often, so I can't really tell if it's the head or the drum.
I think you could get a low-collar, clear snare side head (marching variety) from Remo as well.

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
Remo has been doing the crimplock heads for years, but only for their marching heads. Their regular heads couldn't handle the high tension.
Its the crimplock system that Ludwig invented. The other heads could not handle the tension because of why the crimplock was invented.

It gives a solid rim shot like no other when tuned right. Ludwig used its own mylar formulation.

Some preferred the "warmer" sound to the Remos. All glued heads I tried give a dulled down clunky rimshot sound compared with what I got with the Ludwig medium.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Its the crimplock system that Ludwig invented. The other heads could not handle the tension because of why the crimplock was invented.

It gives a solid rim shot like no other when tuned right. Ludwig used its own mylar formulation.

Some preferred the "warmer" sound to the Remos. All glued heads I tried give a dulled down clunky rimshot sound compared with what I got with the Ludwig medium.
I guess my point was that the link you provided was to Remo's crimplock marching heads. I can't find a crimplock Remo coated Ambassador or Diplomat coated head on their site. I haven't tried an Emperor Suede crimplock head, but I doubt it's going to play like a good old coated Ambassador.

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
I guess my point was that the link you provided was to Remo's crimplock marching heads. I can't find a crimplock Remo coated Ambassador or Diplomat coated head on their site. I haven't tried an Emperor Suede crimplock head, but I doubt it's going to play like a good old coated Ambassador.
You need to look for the Ludwig brand made by Remo for regular drums. I can only find limited info online. But their silver dots are crimp locked, bass heads, and snare heads all crimp locked.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
When this news first came out what 5 years or so ago now I asked a contact I had at Ludwig (change internet providers and don't have his email address anymore) but he said they were stopping production on all heads EXCEPT snare drum batter and Resos.

I bought a snare side head last year and its definately not Remo made unless they are making them exactly the way Ludwig did.

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
When this news first came out what 5 years or so ago now I asked a contact I had at Ludwig (change internet providers and don't have his email address anymore) but he said they were stopping production on all heads EXCEPT snare drum batter and Resos.

I bought a snare side head last year and its definately not Remo made unless they are making them exactly the way Ludwig did.
Its an intrical part of that Ludwig snare sound. I ordered a Ludwig snare batter for my Cadeson snare for greater response and sensitivity.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Its an intrical part of that Ludwig snare sound. I ordered a Ludwig snare batter for my Cadeson snare for greater response and sensitivity.
I never cared for the batter, I like Aquarians better, but love the Ludwig Snare side heads. I have one drum with an Aquarian snare side and it's a close second....anything but a standard Remo which I hate on Ludwig drums

hsosdrum

Reaction score
I never liked Ludwig's factory drumheads. They always sounded thin, lifeless and toneless to me. When I purchased brand-new Ludwig drumsets in 1973 and in 2000, I had the dealers remove the Ludwig factory heads and replace them with Remos upon delivery. When I took delivery of my Legacy Maples in 2013 I decided to see if I could get a good, musical sound with the Ludwig factory heads (coated mediums on snare and toms, smooth sound rings on the bass drums).

Unlike the experience recounted by many on this thread, after fiddling with the batter head on my new Black Beauty snare for an hour* and being unable to get anything close to a decent sound I exchanged it for a Remo coated Amb and the drum sprang to life. (I kept the Ludwig snare-side head.)

I kept the Ludwig heads on the rest of the drums for several weeks but no matter how I tuned them the drums stubbornly refused to sound anything but thin and toneless. After raising the white flag in defeat and replacing the heads with coated Ambs (PS3s on the BDs) the rest of the kit sprang to life as the BB had. They sounded full and had plenty of tone, attributes that increased even more after I replaced the Ambs with Fiberskyn 3 Diplomats and the BDs with Fiberskyn 3 PS3s.

The owners of Pro Drum Shop told me that Ludwig switched to Remo because their drumhead tooling was finally worn out after 60 years, and replacing it wasn't worth the capital investment.

*I've been at this long enough to know that if I can't get a decent sound after fiddling with a snare drum for an hour, the fault is the head (or the drum), not me.