Loving Ludwig Weather Master Heads!

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
Grew up in NY.. now, Georgia -NW of Atlanta
I used to get my Ludwig heads to sound deep and punchy using their muffler system judiciously. But, I found most around me could not get the hang of them. One of my brother's friends who played drums walked right up to me one day and shouted out... "You get your drums so loud!" Another drummer I knew told me the set carried well in a room. He ended up buying the same model.

I thought I simply lucked out. If I had to tune my drums in a different room I may have never hit upon what I was able to extract out of those heads. The room you tune in can make or break your sound.

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
The glue on Remo heads do crack when seating them.

Aquarian invented a new way to use glue and prevent that problem.

SAFE-T-LOC™ HOOP

Incorporated into all Aquarian heads is a patented 360-degree Safe-T-Loc™ Hoop that eliminates slippage and detuning. The Aquarian Hoop makes it virtually impossible for a head to pull out or pucker, resulting in more consistent tuning with increased resonance.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I just checked out the Remo site. Looks like they are now utilizing the Ludwig crimp lock hoop system as well. So? Ludwig has had a good influence on Remo. Its the kind of hoop technology that only Attack used. Ludwig has a patent on the technology, so it may explain why others were keeping away for the time.

Don't get the glued heads from Remo unless you want a duller sound.
https://remo.com/products/product/emperor-suede-crimplock/
The Attack! and Ludwig heads had a similar sound to them, and it was different from the other makes.
I know Attack! used to say on their site that they used a different film for their heads. Maybe Ludwig used the same film?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bongomania - I wrote to them, so let's see what they say...if anything.

Elvis

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
All glued heads I tried give a dulled down clunky rimshot sound compared with what I got with the Ludwig medium.
Interesting. I might get one now, the hoop thing intrigues me.

Anyone, just make sure to compare the Ludwig Medium to a Remo Diplomat and the Heavy to an Ambassador, otherwise it's apples and oranges.

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
Interesting. I might get one now, the hoop thing intrigues me.

Anyone, just make sure to compare the Ludwig Medium to a Remo Diplomat and the Heavy to an Ambassador, otherwise it's apples and oranges.
Correct.... I have considered an Aquarian Modern Vintage in a thin for the snare batter. Since I am living in an apartment the curiosity is simply academic. But, I believe it may prove interesting considering the Ludwig mediums are Diplomat thickness, and the Aquarian special lock-glue hoop should be a good option. This is for jazz players of course. Fred Flintstone's need not apply. :study:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
If you live in an apartment, Remo Silent Stroke should be your go-to head.....unless you really wanna water your neighbors off. :evil2::-D