Low ride cymbal vs. High ride cymbal positioning!

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Do what works for your body.

Check this out too:

He has a background as a physical therapist, so he knows a bit more about musculature than most of us.

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
i know ya'll been dying for pictures ..don't all jump at once I just bought dog food ..there's plenty for everybody that and Hsos was gaining all the glory so ..here you go ..share.

View attachment 482792 View attachment 482793 View attachment 482794 View attachment 482795 View attachment 482796

View attachment 482792

View attachment 482796

View attachment 482795
After 20 years of being on forums with you, Joe, seeing Bos up there instead of old Ks is downright disturbing...

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
After 20 years of being on forums with you, Joe, seeing Bos up there instead of old Ks is downright disturbing...
So at the old K lounge on thursdays? yeah. we have sessions, withdrawals, guys crying 'how long can I keep playing these?'... we talk it all out.
last weeks session began with me it went like this:
"with the richness in old Ks the attempt after time, to move away from them, two obvious ways are over to new ak's or to istanbul and when and if that fails- to an entirely new sleek, light and breezy Turkish way...almost like a more modern Abu Dhabi.."

abu dhabi.jpg

(the old Ks are just in repose for the winter)

Last edited:

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I played for years with my main ride where you currently have yours. I still have a ride there. Not a great position for crashing, but the ride I use there isn't very crashable so no big deal. My other ride is positioned above and to the right of my second mounted tom (12" tom). There's a delicate balance between getting the ride close enough to be comfortable to play for extended periods of time and not covering too much of the edge of the tom with it. If you're not careful, you'll end up catching the tip of your stick under the ride cymbal as you go around the toms. (Don't ask me how I know. ;) ) The problem with your setup is that there's not really any place to get that ride cymbal around to the right of a tom and mostly out of the way. That farthest right mounted tom on your kit I think occupies too much of the space where the higher ride lives on my kit...

Thanks for the advice and picture Rick. I guess the good thing is that since I don't move my kit out of the house, I can always move stuff around for experimentation. I can probably move other cymbals or change that 13" tom height in order to accommodate the ride there. I'll play around with it this week!

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I played for years with my main ride where you currently have yours. I still have a ride there. Not a great position for crashing, but the ride I use there isn't very crashable so no big deal. My other ride is positioned above and to the right of my second mounted tom (12" tom). There's a delicate balance between getting the ride close enough to be comfortable to play for extended periods of time and not covering too much of the edge of the tom with it. If you're not careful, you'll end up catching the tip of your stick under the ride cymbal as you go around the toms. (Don't ask me how I know. ;) ) The problem with your setup is that there's not really any place to get that ride cymbal around to the right of a tom and mostly out of the way. That farthest right mounted tom on your kit I think occupies too much of the space where the higher ride lives on my kit...

The compromises between cymbal positioning and drum positioning are the crux of the drumset ergonomics biscuit. Having shown back in post #3 that I prefer my main ride to be low and to the right of my 13" tom I must also say that in that location it's always in danger of getting in my way when I move from that 13" tom down to my front floor tom. I find that I have to keep that ride just far enough away that playing the bell is a bit of a reach. My other option would be to swap the 22" for a 20", but I love the sound of 22s too much to give them up. So reach for that bell I must!

bolweevil

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've got a bad right shoulder from car accident injuries (18 years ago now). Ride cymbal placement is paramount in my set up as I can't raise my right arm very high for very long. My right-side crash is also in a spot where all I need to do is basically rotate my elbow over and flip my wrist to hit it. The only issues I ever run into is if I try to stay on the bell of the ride for an entire section of a song--that can cause shoulder fatigue.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
my forearm is about at a 15 degree up angle that's not stressful

Radio King

DFO Master
Reaction score
I generally put my ride at roughly the same height as my hi hat, tilted slightly toward me. This usually puts it parallel with the top hoop of the mounted tom.

20190301_201925 1.jpg

ThomasL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
High enough that the left hand can play the floor tom below the right arm.

Reactions: JDA

Sweets

Reaction score
I was always attracted to the way BR and others like Max Weinberg pulled everything in low and close - Max lowers the crash cymbals more than Buddy did. Dino Danelli also in Rascals early days. I like the cozy feeling of low ride and also way the stick lays into the ride at that height/angle.

View attachment 482567
sorry to go off topic, but why does it always look really off when Max is sitting behind his drums? Does he have extremely short legs...large head..? It looks like his body should continue way past the pedals. Fantastic drummer, confusing visuals.

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remember Ringo saying he sat way high cos' (as he'd have said then) he was way short? I think Max, being on the shorter side, looks a bit tucked-in behind his usual size kit. When he plays smaller kits he looks more at ease. Also, I think he plays arms-close-to-sides which also makes it look tight. He sits low usually behind a 22 or 24 + a 13 riding on all the DW hardware.

1612824598625.png

1612824691168.png

Biggsenator

Reaction score
I agree with most great drummers I have read and heard: low and easy to reach is best. High mounted cymbals might look cool, but they don't promote fast or relaxed playing. The less muscles you have to use to position your hands for playing and to keep them there while playing, the better. Once you realize this, even if high looked impressive before, the low, ergonomic setup will actually LOOK better to you. There really is no good reason to mount cymbals any higher than is needed to keep them from banging into other parts of the kit.

wraub

Reaction score
I have two toms offset, and a 22" ride where the right tom would be normally, and a 20" ride left/below that above the low tom.
Both cymbals are low, because low and close is how it's all set up.
It's just more comfortable and easy for me there.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I've positioned my rides at low height and mostly flat for decades (like Buddy) no reaching.
gretschrenown.JPG
RoversAboveB&W.JPG