Low ride cymbal vs. High ride cymbal positioning!

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I play a 4 piece and the ride cymbal stand actually goes in through the top of the bass drum. So I drop my ride cymbal to set low between my rack and floor toms. Its comfortable and if I ever play any fast syncopated patterns similar to Neil Peart's signature ride pattern I find that I can play it a long time without too much fatigue. I was playing with a guitarist who had a 6 piece kit and the ride was mounted up high above the 2 toms on the right and i found that if I didn't reposition it I experienced arm and shoulder fatigue.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except for the fan, that's one weird setup imho. Forget the cymbals, I have no idea how you get to the rack toms.
just a bebop 4 + 1 OD!!

4+1 001.JPG 4+1 002.JPG 4+1 003.JPG 4+1 004.JPG 4+1 005.JPG

4+1 001.JPG
4+1 002.JPG
4+1 003.JPG
4+1 004.JPG
4+1 005.JPG

On Gretsch you gotaa "crack the Rims" (rim shot the Toms or " you ain't jazz"... : )
snare 5...12-10-14 toms...18 bass

where's Larry LROD????

Last edited:

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was playing today and analyzed something that had never occurred to me. I've always had my ride in a low position. Currently above/between my 2 floor toms. I've never placed it up, lets say between my 13" tom & 14" floor tom (Currently my 20" crash is in that slot). I've noticed that some drummers have that high ride positioning. I'm wondering the advantages & disadvantages of either. For me having it low is comfortable but wonder if I'm missing out on speed when reaching crashes which are all placed high. It's a longer trek and believe that more reach is required from where the ride is sitting now. Anyone have any opinions or thoughts on this?
Here is a partial picture of my setup:

View attachment 482254
Way too far to the right for me. I would want it to be in front of the 1st floor tom, but, you have a rack tom there. With that tom setup, the way you have it may be the only practical solution.

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
Never gave this much thought as for the longest time I've played one up, one down with the ride over the right side of the bass drum. Since recently acquiring a significantly larger kit, I seriously struggled with how to set up the toms while keeping the ride at a comfortable height. At first it was looking somewhat like the pic from the OP, but having it so far over to the side was quite uncomfortable, as was positioning it higher than usual. These pics show my solution, with the two smaller toms over to the left, the ride roughly in the same low position, and my 12 and 14 just below. It's the closest I could get it to a one up/one down feel. Works for me!

Attachments

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm here man, just been super busy!
I forgot to mention that when I have 2 toms mounted on the bass drum I position the ride so that it covers about half of the second tom. It’s a compromise that puts the ride in a reasonably accessible position and allows enough access to that second mounted tom. That might work for you.

Old Drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Reactions: JDA

WesChilton

Reaction score
Hehe, I think its all about the era and the sizes of your toms... back in the 80s EVERYONE was doing the high angled cymbals, power toms and sitting 10" off of the ground! This is me on a big recording session in late 1980s doing my Vinnie thang. If you look though, the kit is pretty compact... toms close to the bass drum, cymbals low and close in but highly angled. It was actually very easy and comfortable to play. But difficult to mic!

I also was in my Weckl hair phase...

1614095498549.png

Then, later on by the mid 1990s my toms got shallower, set flatter and the cymbals did too... and I started sitting higher.

Also my hair got shorter!

1614095629855.png

Even when I go back to the power toms (2003-ish) I still kept my ride flatter... but always up over the 12" tom. It just feels natural there.
The hair I just finally gave up on!

I tried the low and over the floor tom position, ala Neil Peart, when I was in high school and just didn't like it.

1614095889423.png

richiegarcia4

Reaction score
I like the idea of a low flat ride, but it makes crashing difficult, especially if you want a soft crash with the shoulder of your stick. The floor tom gets in the way. Which is why I like this set up. (Oh, and check out the tilt on that bottom hat).

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've done ride up, ride down, a hybrid of the two, and a left side and right side ride setup. You name it, I've likely done it. In the end, it needs to be comfortable for you to play. My right shoulder gives me problems when I need to reach too far back behind me, so a low ride above my floor toms is not a comfortable position for me to be in for any amount of time. I have no pain issues with a high ride or a low ride with an offset tom setup so I generally default to one of these two setups. Anything that gets the ride more in front of me than to the side of me is my preference.

High ride:
https://flic.kr/p/2hQnPdN
Low ride, offset toms:
https://flic.kr/p/2deBf7e
Left and right side rides:
https://flic.kr/p/2hsNQLV

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I just switched to your high ride setup at home. Still dialing it in.

2000dan2000

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
as low and as tight into the kit as I can get it, hanging out just over the right side of the bass drum... easy to reach, I can then put a crash or two up and over it to either side for a quick flick of the wrist to crash. I think it makes for some faster transitioning and, well, it just seems to fit my style...

ADE6DB00-4517-460E-B975-852B808B0B7F.jpeg

F5A4339E-72B8-4F4C-A60D-8245EEDC78B0.jpeg

rock roll

Reaction score
I prefer my ride cymbal within easy reach - no over extending or wasted motion . It is set up where my hands pretty much naturally fall . I don’t ha s do twist to play the ride cymbal like the OP would .
Love the setup especially the fan. A must as we get older.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
cymbals circle the drums. some eye level. below. slightly or somewhat above..

rock roll

Reaction score
I've always played the right side ride about 4" above the floor tom.
left side ride the same.

My band share a practice space with several other bands , different days.
Drum kit is a one up one down 22" bass drum ,vintage Ludwig house kit that everyone uses.
The drummer that plays the day before me always raises his ride as high as the mounted tom if not higher than .... and I have never understood why he does that unless he is crashing his ride.
... So I'm loving this thread , hoping to learn something.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments