Low snare stand that would work to use a 12" or 13" power tom as a floor tom?

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
I searched, I failed.

I'm thinking of going back to 1up 2 down again, and I'm looking for a low (snare type stand) that would work to use a 12" or 13" power tom as a floor tom?

I have only two snare stands, and neither of them go low enough.

Well? I can't be the first?

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think some people that uses a marching snare as a (talk about PHAT) main snare might chime in. Otherwise the 40s style cradle/basket stand might work? I suppose you might also be able to use a multi-clamp and attach the snare basket horizontally to the tripod base.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I don't think anyone makes a snare stand that will go quite that low. I see three options if you're not willing to drill and add legs (which is what I would do). Atlas or INDe brackets that replace lugs to hold legs, the RIMS style floor tom holder, or, more along your original line of thought, a shortened snare stand. You can cut down certain vintage snare stands to be quite low. Specifically the old Slingerland style with the legs that fold out from the bottom. There is no bracing riding along the tube so you can cut it as short as you want without messing up the stand's function. You have to knock off the height adjustment assembly at the top of the tube (it's a friction fit but on there very good). Once that is off you can shorten the tube as much as needed. Then pound the adjustment assemby back in place and likewise cut the lower part of the upper tube carrying the snare basket to an appropriate length. This isn't just theoretical as I have done this for this same purpose. If I get a chance I'll post a picture of the end result (if I can find the stand). A bit of work but it gets you what you need.

This is the type of snare stand you would need as your raw material. The critical thing is this type of base and leg design. The same thing could be accomplished with a Ludwig Standard snare stand (vintage from the early Standard series drums) and some Premier snare stands but the Slingerland would be, by far, the most common and easiest to find, unless you happened to have one of the others already in your stash.

drumfx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think some people that uses a marching snare as a (talk about PHAT) main snare might chime in. Otherwise the 40s style cradle/basket stand might work? I suppose you might also be able to use a multi-clamp and attach the snare basket horizontally to the tripod base.
I have done this many times but for marching snares to be used on kits. i always grab a flat base snare stand and remove the knuckle where the wing nut is. Once that is done, i simply cut the main post and hammer the knuckle back into place.

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
Multi clamp and hang it off a cymbal stand. I did this for years, that Pearl plumbing shines in this application ;)
Totally... Pearl plumbing to the max... with RIMS it is perfection, and that's how I do on my Tempus kit.

But this is for my old Tamas, and being solely for playing out, I'm shying away from anything heavy, so the cymbal stands I use are very lightweight, and they not suitable for hanging anything off.

I'd rather use a lightweight low snare type stand, than go to the double braced cymbal stand, multi clamp, pearl plumbing pipe setup.

drumfx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Totally... Pearl plumbing to the max... with RIMS it is perfection, and that's how I do on my Tempus kit.

But this is for my old Tamas, and being solely for playing out, I'm shying away from anything heavy, so the cymbal stands I use are very lightweight, and they not suitable for hanging anything off.

I'd rather use a lightweight low snare type stand, than go to the double braced cymbal stand, multi clamp, pearl plumbing pipe setup.
Not to mention that all that Pearl stuff with RIMS and clamps looks like a Junkyard...IMHO.

Last edited:

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
I just broke down and drilled for legs on mine. I only needed to add two brackets; i turned it upside down and used the original mount as one of them. 12x13 Ludwig Rocker:
IMG_6142.jpg

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I bought a Yamaha hip gig kit years ago. It came with hardware. I sold the kit but kept the 2 cymbal stands and snare stand. That kit had a 12" snare but the stand expanded to barely hold a 13" drum. Compact and low. Hard to find these though. Let me see if I can dig up a model # for you.

Model # is SS652. Basket is 17" off the ground. Foot print is 15" diameter. Just tried but a Gretsch RB 13 tom does NOT fit with die cast hoops....12" is no problem.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not to mention that all that Pearl stuff with RIMS and clamps looks like a Junkyard...IMHO.
I use a multi clamp and pearl mount off a cymbal stand for a 14x12 suspended floor from time to time. It works great and looks clean. In comparison, using a snare stand for a power tom as a suspended floor is goofy looking.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been that route with a 13x14 rack tom converting it to Floor Tom with three ATLAS mounts with the 12.7 mm legs. I'm not a big fan because you will need a larger drum case and the tom is much heavier which I feel deleted some resonance or sustain. If you wish to use legs without drilling more holes I would try the INDe leg mounts. They are smaller, lighter and you can use any size legs you wish. I believe the smaller legs and lighter INDe mounts will give more resonance.

Just a thought.

sherm

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ypu might be able to use some of the inde clamps or gibraltar makes a version that clamps to the rim. I havent found a snare stand that will go that low.

frankmott

Reaction score
Holy Schnikes...I love that mis-matched look! What are sizes on the other drums?
Thanks for kind words.
BD: 12x18 Pearl Roadshow, covered with wallpaper from the Walmart bargain bin.
SD: 5x13 Pearl Roadshow, covered with an old scrap of Pink Champagne Glass Glitter
MT: 6.5x10 1972 Ludwig concert tom in SBP to which I added bottom hardware.
FT: 12x13 1990's Ludwig Rocker in Honey Maple lacquer finish.

The 10" is part of a larger Ludwig vintage 3-ply "shell-bank" all in SBP. They all sound great and work really well together. I use it for a weekly jam session that I co-host at a local bar. It's a small, very live room, so I wanted small drums. All the heads are two-ply with zero-rings. Small, thin quick-speaking cymbals as well.

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for kind words.
BD: 12x18 Pearl Roadshow, covered with wallpaper from the Walmart bargain bin.
SD: 5x13 Pearl Roadshow, covered with an old scrap of Pink Champagne Glass Glitter
MT: 6.5x10 1972 Ludwig concert tom in SBP to which I added bottom hardware.
FT: 12x13 1990's Ludwig Rocker in Honey Maple lacquer finish.

The 10" is part of a larger Ludwig vintage 3-ply "shell-bank" all in SBP. They all sound great and work really well together. I use it for a weekly jam session that I co-host at a local bar. It's a small, very live room, so I wanted small drums. All the heads are two-ply with zero-rings. Small, thin quick-speaking cymbals as well.
I've almost bought that Roadshow kit with the 12x18 more than once. How doea that bad boy sound?

frankmott

Reaction score
I've almost bought that Roadshow kit with the 12x18 more than once. How doea that bad boy sound?
I've got an EMAD on the batter and an Attack ported 1-ply coated on the reso. It sounds surprisingly good. Because it's a jam, I get the opportunity to sit out in the audience and listen. I often cringe at the playing, but I'm proud to say all the drums sound really good. (I've gotten very adept at quickly turning the drums around right handed -- and back.)

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
While everyone here doesn't agree with me, I'm the guy that would rather have a floor tom that has legs and sits on the ground. Put Pearl "spongy" feet on it and it's resonant as hell. I simply dislike mounted floor toms, especially when they bounce when you hit them.
For weight reasons, go with the IndE mounts that replace three lugs; no drilling necessary.
(I'm not opposed to making a floor tom stand out of a snare stand either, but legs are classic.)
Stretch

frankmott

Reaction score
While everyone here doesn't agree with me, I'm the guy that would rather have a floor tom that has legs and sits on the ground. Put Pearl "spongy" feet on it and it's resonant as hell. I simply dislike mounted floor toms, especially when they bounce when you hit them.
For weight reasons, go with the IndE mounts that replace three lugs; no drilling necessary.
(I'm not opposed to making a floor tom stand out of a snare stand either, but legs are classic.)
Stretch
Not to mention that three legs weigh practically nothing. Sure the brackets add weight, but to the tom, not the hardware bag/case. I'm always trying to shift that load away from the hardware... er... container.