header.nohb.html

Low volume cymbals (but not as low volume as Zildjian L series)

Cpb282

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My kids (3 piece band: guitar, bass, drums) practice in a smallish room (formerly our living room). About 12’x20’.

My bassist son sits in the direction of the drummer’s primary 16” crash (Zildjian Avedis medium thin) and I’m trying to preserve his hearing. He wears ear plugs, but I’m still concerned as in the past few months the drummer (5’-1” and 95lbs) has discovered hitting heavier.

I tried a Zildjian L80 replacement for the cymbal in question. The drummer hated it.

Any suggestions?

Gratuitous video from this morning to see the setup:

underratedcowbell

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If he’s wearing earplugs why should you be concerned?
My only suggestion is to get a set of e-drums. Cymbals are loud there’s nothing you can do about it!
As he tried playing with rods or brushes?

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Reaction score
You could insist that the drummer use the L80 or something similar since it's your house/your rules.

Or try this partition or something similar and place it somewhere between your son and the drummer. It will soak up the worst of the damaging sound.

Attachments

• Freestanding+Noise+Reducing+Acoustic+Room+Wall+Divider+Office+Partition+(Midnight+Blue,+23.6_+...jpg
    Freestanding+Noise+Reducing+Acoustic+Room+Wall+Divider+Office+Partition+(Midnight+Blue,+23.6_+...jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 22

Cpb282

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could insist that the drummer use the L80 or something similar since it's your house/your rules.

Or try this partition or something similar and place it somewhere between your son and the drummer. It will soak up the worst of the damaging sound.
Thanks. That would be an easy fix.

Cpb282

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Give them earplugs and be grateful they're actually playing music together and leave them alone.
Thanks. They all do wear earplugs.

And I am indeed grateful !

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
A little duct tape on the edges goes a long way taming those cymbals . Cheaper, too .

Cpb282

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
A little duct tape on the edges goes a long way taming those cymbals . Cheaper, too .
Good idea. Maybe we’ll experiment with duct tape on the sticks first, as I could see us mumbling under our breaths with acetone or goo gone the night before gigs.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is a viable solution as it might be expensive and the player might not love the result, but moving toward Turkish darker cymbals might help. Raw or partially raw cymbals especially. I have an unlated ride (Istanbul Mehmet Origin Dark) that is darker and much quieter than my lathed cymbals, and I have had many different kinds of dark cymbals in the past (K Custom Special Dry, Istanbul or Bosphorus Turk, etc) that would be a lot less "ringing" or piercing to stand next to. Again this is a bit expensive for a solution, and the drummer would have to adjust to what these cymbals put out -- but that adjustment will be true for any change from the current setup.

Cpb282

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is a viable solution as it might be expensive and the player might not love the result, but moving toward Turkish darker cymbals might help. Raw or partially raw cymbals especially. I have an unlated ride (Istanbul Mehmet Origin Dark) that is darker and much quieter than my lathed cymbals, and I have had many different kinds of dark cymbals in the past (K Custom Special Dry, Istanbul or Bosphorus Turk, etc) that would be a lot less "ringing" or piercing to stand next to. Again this is a bit expensive for a solution, and the drummer would have to adjust to what these cymbals put out -- but that adjustment will be true for any change from the current setup.
Thanks. This makes sense as her 18” is a K dark and is much less of an issue to my ears.

Square

Reaction score
Sabian Makes the Big and Ugly in the XSR series, or used to. I have a set and they sound good but are very quiet as far as "normal" cymbals go. Cheap too so that is a bonus...

scole

Reaction score
There’s always the Agean R series of cymbals which are “low noise” but sound much more like regular cymbals. They are louder than L80s, tho. I now have a set of Ageans and I brought them into my drum lesson and let my instructor A/B them and he did prefer the Ageans over the L80s. Unfortunately, they’re not cheap.

Cpb282

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m leaning towards a 16” extra dry crash if I can find a reasonably priced one as suggested by @lossforgain. It is the 16” crash that she uses most frequently.

I’ll also went for a sound panel suggested by @JimmySticks and will work toward a few DIY acoustic panels (when I’m out if isolation) to absorb more sound in the room.

I looked into custom molded ear plugs, but was quoted $335 (that’s $1k for the 3 kids). I’d consider it, but the audiologist said that their ear canals will still be growing so they’d grow out of them. I see a potential business opportunity as that seems crazy.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Sabian Makes the Big and Ugly in the XSR series, or used to. I have a set and they sound good but are very quiet as far as "normal" cymbals go. Cheap too so that is a bonus...
That might be along the lines of what I was suggesting. Those are unlathed, right?

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve got an agazarian 16” I picked up here on the forum thats fairly thin and doesn’t have a lot of cut but still sounds pretty good and is “real” useable cymbal. They should be available cheap used. Some wuhan lines are identical and maybe stagg and some others too

cplueard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Good idea. Maybe we’ll experiment with duct tape on the sticks first, as I could see us mumbling under our breaths with acetone or goo gone the night before gigs.
Gaffers tape will do wonders more than duct tape. It's like the perfect hybrid of duct and painters.