LP Score!

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Saw a FB post from our community page that said, "...we're giving away 200+ LPs. A mix of jazz, blues and rock..." I immediately said I'll take the jazz records. The guy has taste. In my haul, over 15 Miles Davis records (some notable exceptions missing like Sketches Of Spain, Bitches Brew, The Birth Of The Cool)...But he still had 4 of my favorites. (see pics). In the assortment, at least 10 Chick Corea releases, 3 or more of Charlie Parker, Freddie Hubbard, Maynard Ferguson (he really had a lot of Maynard Ferguson), Mingus, Dexter Gordon, Pat Martino, Herbie Hancock, etc. Surprisingly no Jazz Messengers, but 2 Wynton Marsallis records. I snagged a few other things that weren't jazz. Notably a Beatles White Album, John Mayall And The Blues Breakers, featuring Eric Clapton and Traffic, The Low Spark Of The High Heel Boys. One surprise in the box was a Chick Corea album of Steely Dan covers. I didn't know such a thing existed. I grabbed that too. Now I need to go buy a turntable. LOL.

Kind Of Blue.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, I was thinking you got a great deal on some bongos......

Guy/gal has great taste......nice score!

Likely more good stuff in that stash but that is killer for what you got - all those Miles albums are awesome! ESP is like the Rubber Soul of Miles - he just starts going into the avante garde trippy stuff to come as Bitches Brew, just like some great ones on R.S. are precursors to mindblowers on Revolver........

PS: Can I see the Chick album cover?

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
PS: Can I see the Chick album cover?
Which one. LOL, I have ten of them. I am going to assume you meant the one with the Steely Dan covers. At 2nd Glance, now that I found it. Chick, Donald and Walter do not have playing credits. But note the who the drummer is.

Here ya go. This is not on iTunes, or at least I cannot find it. It's listed on Woody's Wiki page, but it's vaporware on iTunes and Prime Music.

Chick Don Walt and Woodrow 1.jpeg

Chick Don Walt and Woodrow 2.jpeg

Chick Don Walt and Woodrow 4.jpeg

Last edited:

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
New record player just landed. First up on it is this. I’ll play the Woody Herman thing soon. My wife loves it! So do I! Now I gotta dig my 70’s Pioneer gear out.

108BF5AE-0309-42F9-A326-C4E9682ABFDE.jpeg

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok...Woody playing now. That is nothing like Post Modern Jukebox. Holy Moses, this is really good!

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Still working thru the stash. Digging into the some really weird stuff.

George Benson doing Take Five with Steve Gadd on drums. Very different. I had to count while listening. It's still 5/4 time. I've been a fan of George Benson since I was a kid in the 70's. If Becker and Fagen did a cover of Take Five, it would sound like this.

Maynard Ferguson doing the Star Wars theme, with Peter Erskine on drums and just the best guitar parts from Steve Kahn. Very late 70's cheese, but so f'n polished and pro! If you're not familiar with Steve Kahn listen to Donald Fagen's tune, True Companion from the Heavy Metal movie soundtrack. Great guitar player.

And lastly John McLaughlin with an album aptly titled Electric Guitarist. Billy Cobbham on Drums. Awesome!

Last edited:

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
" John McLaughlin with an album aptly titled Electric Guitarist." - one of my favorite albums of all time! Each tune has a different lineup. Besides Billy - Tony and Jack too!