Ludwig’s Recent LE Metal Snare Drums - Thouhts?

sixplymaple

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What does everybody think about the last few limited edition brass snares from Ludwig?

One is red, one is white, and one is blue. I actually love the red, but it’s only offered in 8-Lug, so that kills it for me. In general though, I love the idea of the colored metal Ludwig snares. I think they should stop with the limited edition nonsense and figure out a way to have colors become a factory option/upcharge. That would be sick!

ludwigfire

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I really liked the Dragon's Blood drum when better pictures came out that really showed the sparkles in the red finish. I never pulled the trigger due to the 8 lugs and it just didn't completely grab me enough to justify the cost. The blue drum, while pretty and 10 lugs, was the same. The Polar beauty, or whatever the white drum is called, is gorgeous with a real throwback feel to the white enameled Ludwig and Leedy drums of the '30s. However, my OCD won't let me mix brass and chrome hardware together on a drumset.

Then I found the flat black beauty and it comes in 8x14!!! I absolutely love this drum!
received_4034294333363557.jpeg

It is nice to see Ludwig offering different colors on their seamless brass shells. I wonder if any of them will actually be limited editions or if Ludwig is just testing the waters for now to see if color options are worth adding to the regular lineup. Either way, it is a cool way for drummers to get that famous Black Beauty sound without necessarily having to get an actual black nickel plated drum.

goodcat1337

Reaction score
Those look awesome. Reminds me of what Pork Pie is doing with some of their aluminum snares.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What does everybody think about the last few limited edition brass snares from Ludwig?

One is red, one is white, and one is blue. I actually love the red, but it’s only offered in 8-Lug, so that kills it for me. In general though, I love the idea of the colored metal Ludwig snares. I think they should stop with the limited edition nonsense and figure out a way to have colors become a factory option/upcharge. That would be sick!

They look cool! How's their sound-ability? I've never had a problem with an 8-lugged snare. I think I'm gonna have a bunch of old Acros powder-coated in a metallic red, white and blue!

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I like the blue but not quite the right shade to go with my kit. Wonder if it could be engraved? Aldridge talked about the Dragon's Blood snare and was wanting to get a sample from Ludwig, but that was before we realized the new black beauties couldn't be engraved anymore so if the coating is similar then I wouldn't take the chance, nor would he.