Ludwig 110th Anniversary Classic Maple Vintage Emerald Pearl. Opinions?

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Man, at first glance, these really push my vintage nostalgia buttons. Vintage Emerald Pearl wrap, brass plated hardware, single-flanged hoops... But then I remember that it's really just a gussied up standard Classic Maple set, with (ugly) rubber gaskets, brass hoop clips, etc. Sure the single-flanged hoops might open up the sound a bit, and the gaskets can be removed, but are they worth the extra $$$ for the face lift, or is there more here that I'm overlooking?

I really want to like them.

110th Anniversary:

Ludwig_Classic_Maple_Fab_110th_Vintage_Emerald_Pearl_L84233LXEPWCB_A.jpg

Original late '20s:

P1110574-3-M.jpg

Last edited:

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As I recall from some earlier web browsing, these V.E.P. aren't getting a premium price gouge like some of the other anniversary sets.
I think they did a good job on this wrap/hardware combo.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've been tempted to buy one, too, along with the matching snare, but I already have a CM drum set and don't need another one. I believe I'll be waiting for the new Rogers drum sets instead.

Still, I wish one could order some of the older colored pearls on new sets. Colors like purple, pink, red, and emerald green pearl. Just my two cents.

Heyleuck

Reaction score
Not sure if the $400-$500 is worth it over a regular CM in the same sizes unless you're a big Ludwig collector.

A little off topic but can someone tell me or show me where to read about why people hate Ludwig gaskets so much? I've noticed a few comments recently about them.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like the finish. I think it's really interesting. Not one I would want for myself, but I really like it. Same goes for that new digital black oyster.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not sure if the $400-$500 is worth it over a regular CM in the same sizes unless you're a big Ludwig collector.

A little off topic but can someone tell me or show me where to read about why people hate Ludwig gaskets so much? I've noticed a few comments recently about them.
They're disliked by many on their metal snares largely because of the inherent muffling effect they have on the shell's resonance. I doubt it has much effect on wood shells, and they don't bother me on a modern Ludwig set, but it definitely detracts from the "vintage" aspect of these anniversary drums. But again, easy removal.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think these are quite stunning.

I’ve got CMs in Olive Pearl and this is that turbocharged. Imagine how they’d look under stage lights!

Perhaps not everyone’s cup of tea, but I happen to love sencha.

davezedlee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think the gaskets detract from the above color scheme... either clear, or not at all, like the originals would look much better

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Love the finish, but not interested in it on a CM set. Offer them on Legacy Mahogany, and my interest picks up significantly.
So does the price, haha!

Latest posts