Ludwig 1123 foot plate issue

supraphonic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Picked up the 1123 hi hat stand the other day, the foot plate where the heel part joins is seized and does not pivot at all. I’ve left it for a day with some crc on it and it has gotten a bit on movement back but still really stiff.

has anyone ran into this issue before?
Does it perhaps need the pin replaced?

960C3A85-CEC5-40EE-9FFC-EEB654B4353F.jpeg

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The pin is steel, probably rusted. I’d soak it for awhile then try and drift it out. Clean it up and send it back in.

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Take a closer look at the pin area. If you see red rust Kroil is the best penetrating oil I’ve found although its a little pricey. If you see white dust the aluminum itself is corroding and you might be better off soaking in vinegar unless you have aluminum brightener around. If its still not cooperating a little shot of heat from a map torch and some manual flexing should free it up enough to start getting some lubricant in

supraphonic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cheers guys, the alloy parts and the rest of the stand are in great shape but the pin and the bar that attach the foot plate to the stand are rusty. I’ll try some more soaking with penetrating oil.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
I've owned a bunch of the 1123 models. Have run across this one several. I was actually able to just "brute" them apart by working it little by little. Some penetrating oil or WD-40 should do the trick.

Mike

supraphonic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mike, that worked. After a couple of days spraying it with penetrating oil it moved back and forth and loosened up fully. Can’t wait to try it, this is the first of these I’ve owned.