Ludwig 14x6.5 Copper Phonic

Blaze

Reaction score
All right, $600 but, if it's stays crickets around here much longer, I'll probably keep it.

drumreverie

Reaction score
Man, that's a beauty. Do you know if there's a sound difference between the patina and smooth copper finishes, or just aesthetic preference?

Blaze

Reaction score
Thanks. I don't know if there's much of a difference, but, after watching a lot of demos, I had the impression that the patina (raw copper) version was crisper and more controlled (could just be the eyes playing tricks on the ears). I had a Joyful Noise Anchored Copper for a while, and for a while I liked it better than the Ludwig, but then changed my mind and sold that one. That one had more power, but this one (for me) has more finesse. Both have amazing rim shots, a very solid, controlled but edgy pop that's more of a sweet knock than a clang or a bang.

drumreverie

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Gorgeous drum. Great price at $600 shipped. Wish I could afford it. I need to sell some gear fast before someone grabs it.

Sammybear

Reaction score
Thanks, Sammy. You have one too?
Hey Blaze......Better late than never. Yes, I have one of these beauties. I sometimes get itchy and sell things that I regret later... It happens too often (mostly cymbals). I would regret it if I sold my Copperphonic. I do have my eyes on a Ludwig Jazz Fest reissue (or a Canopus " The Maple"-but I am a Ludwig guy), but those 2 snares would probably be the only 2 snares I keep as I thin things out in my old age. Did you ever sell this?

Blaze

Reaction score
Ha! Hi, Sammy. Yes, better late than never. And, I know what you mean -- I've sold lots (mostly snares) that I still regret selling: For example: three Craviottos (that hickory in the Memphis Drum Shop video used to be mine), a Joyful Noise Anchored Copper, and a Carolina Drumworks canarywood snare. If I could have all those back, I'd never ask for anything ever again! I can't sell the Copperphonic yet. If I had to keep two snares, the Copperphonic might be one, but it's hard to pick. It might be the most versatile snare I've owned, though the hammered BB gives it a run for its money for sure.

Sammybear

Reaction score
Hammered Black Beauty.....sounds nice! You're right, Copperphonic is super versatile and so sweet sounding. Good luck to ya!

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ha! Hi, Sammy. Yes, better late than never. And, I know what you mean -- I've sold lots (mostly snares) that I still regret selling: For example: three Craviottos (that hickory in the Memphis Drum Shop video used to be mine), a Joyful Noise Anchored Copper, and a Carolina Drumworks canarywood snare. If I could have all those back, I'd never ask for anything ever again! I can't sell the Copperphonic yet. If I had to keep two snares, the Copperphonic might be one, but it's hard to pick. It might be the most versatile snare I've owned, though the hammered BB gives it a run for its money for sure.
I have both a Hammered BB and a Copperphonic that I use most out of my collection. I used the Copperphonic for a year straight then re-discovered the BB which I've used exclusively the lst 4-5 months.

Blaze

Reaction score
I have both a Hammered BB and a Copperphonic that I use most out of my collection. I used the Copperphonic for a year straight then re-discovered the BB which I've used exclusively the lst 4-5 months.
Yes, that's the thing, isn't it -- the ones that get played most? The hammered BB doesn't have to be worried about or tuned for half an hour -- it'll always sound good, especially in rock music (sweet tone, and cuts like nothing -- this is where it has the copper beat). The copper is similarly easy to manage, and may not be as present when things get louder, but it has a just-right crispness that's dry and lively at the same time.

lcondo123

Reaction score
Patrick Keeler from the Raconteurs has been using a Copperphonic on their current tour. Saw them twice and I could not help but fall in love with the sound of that snare. You are selling a great drum right there!

Good luck with your sale!

Blaze

Reaction score
I've decided to keep it for now, but thanks. I didn't know about the Raconteurs until looking them up just now. They sound pretty good.

Latest posts