Ludwig 1963 black oyster downbeat Ringo set with matching jazz fest & hardware ,what's it really worth in today's market,thank you

Reaction score
HELLO EVERYONE...i would like your honest opinion if you would like to give it, on this Ludwig 1963 pre serial oyster black Ringo complete with snare & hardware down beat kit as far as today's market value...
i will be 70 soon and Ringo will be 80 soon,were did the years go,if you remember February 1964 then you know why....time to let it go to another collector,this is one beautiful kit,asking 25K open to serious offers......
cash pick up,no shipping,new windsor ny 12553,i have had many black oyster black downbeat and super classic kits through the years,but never seen a real RINGO 1963 preserial oyster black downbeat complete set with matching jazz fest and hardware,snare is 5 1/4" deep,i know RINGO'S is 5 1/2" we can't have everything in life.
again i'am open to serious offers...thanks for your time and honest opinion...
DSC06871.JPG
DSC06760.JPG
DSC06764.JPG
DSC06769.JPG
DSC06774.JPG
DSC06695.JPG
DSC06688.JPG
ringo seat.jpg
DSC05658.JPG

LUDWIG---here it is THE MOST FAMOUS DRUM SET IN THE WORLD
Not only the most Famous but most Desirable and Collectible drum set ever...
This is a 1963 pre serial Brass Keystone Badge Black Oyster Pearl Downbeat kit with matching jazz festival snare drum...
This is the SAME #1 Black Oyster Kit Downbeat kit that Ringo had with the Beatles...this kit is over the top SUPER RARE....

14"x20" bass drum,clear maple interior...original wood hoops, paint,inlays and factory staples
8"x12" tom,white interior,red bat muffler,chrome over brass hoops...
14"x14" floor tom,white interior,red bat muffler,chrome over brass hoops...
5 1/4"x14" jazz fest,white interior,red bat muffler,chrome over brass hoop...throw off,badge,bat handle in a row.
this may be the only complete kit that exists,i do not know for sure...
the finish is in AMAZING CONDITION for age,shows some normal wear for age
chrome is just super clean for age,drum kit has all original chrome parts,t-rods,hoops,lugs,p-83,ect,ect
some light scratches here and there,no cracks or splits in the finish that i can see
has ORIGINAL heads...WFL super clean chrome hardware set up,just like RINGO received with his 1963 preserial set
This is the same Ringo # 1 Black Oyster Downbeat kit Ringo purchased from Ivor Arbiter at drum city in London in 1963...
Ringo's 1963 preserial drum kit sold at auction for 2 million dollars,just the 20/12/14 no snare drum...no Rogers swivo mount ever on kit
This is NOT RINGO'S drum kit i want to make that VERY CLEAR,but it is the same kit he purchased at drum city in London England 1963...
this is for the collector who is looking for the real RINGO kit,play it or just set it up and STARE at it...
it is a thing of beauty,this is the TOP OF THE PYRAMID as far as vintage drum kits go...

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Wow!

With that sort of set you might want to involve someone like Maxwell or Bennett in the sale. They would no doubt take a cut but they know all the major players who would be willing and able to drop major money on a set like that.

kallen49

Reaction score
IMHO not the best moment in history to offer this for sale?
my estimate in the current uncertain market would be about half the price you mention as lot of kits like this were built and may soon be on the market...no disrespect intended and GLWS...

A friend of mine in Toronto has a mid ‘60’s Black OP 12,13,14,16, 20...some of which I traded him for my ‘66 blue OP 13,16,20. (a 3 pc Black OP cost me $125 in 1976). Family heirlooms now.

Reaction score
Wow!

With that sort of set you might want to involve someone like Maxwell or Bennett in the sale. They would no doubt take a cut but they know all the major players who would be willing and able to drop major money on a set like that.
thank you for your advice....stay safe and well...

Reaction score
IMHO not the best moment in history to offer this for sale?
my estimate in the current uncertain market would be about half the price you mention as lot of kits like this were built and may soon be on the market...no disrespect intended and GLWS...

A friend of mine in Toronto has a mid ‘60’s Black OP 12,13,14,16, 20...some of which I traded him for my ‘66 blue OP 13,16,20. (a 3 pc Black OP cost me $125 in 1976). Family heirlooms now.
thank you for your advice,and opinion on price,stay safe and well

kallen49

Reaction score
Agree, I would contact Steve Maxwell and Don Bennett. Maxwell in particular finds “new old stock” kits, he had an amazing NOS 60’s (or even older?) BOP kit a few years ago that had never been played.

Maybe your kit is in a different class because it has been played? More attractive to a buyer that wants to play it as opposed to being an untouched museum piece?

(if one of them makes you an offer you have a better idea of market value),
yes, stay safe, thanks!

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
300-350$.
The Beatle association means 0 to me. :)
600-650$
and I don't understand "drummers" that place weight with that dollar-wise.
Stamp Collectors and baseball card Collectors Yes- Drummers? no.
It's a Nice Vintage appears usable working set- 750-1100$
And I think asking "12.000" and etc. for such sets is raping drummers.. or amateurs with a ton of money or colectors (Maxwell /Bennette) who will use them as advertisement/novelty to draw customers into their stores (nothing wrong with that!) but in a way becomes purely a mausoleum item.
I'm into the notes drummers played (and play) not the inert drum(s) itself.
Happy!

Man he was brave up on that platform!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Agree, I would contact Steve Maxwell and Don Bennett. Maxwell in particular finds “new old stock” kits, he had an amazing NOS 60’s (or even older?) BOP kit a few years ago that had never been played.

Maybe your kit is in a different class because it has been played? More attractive to a buyer that wants to play it as opposed to being an untouched museum piece?

(if one of them makes you an offer you have a better idea of market value),
yes, stay safe, thanks!
hey you never know,today's market is all over the map....stay safe and well...

Reaction score
300-350$.
The Beatle association means 0 to me. :)
600-650$
and I don't understand "drummers" that place weight with that dollar-wise.
Stamp Collectors and baseball card Collectors Yes- Drummers? no.
It's a Nice Vintage appears usable working set- 750-1100$
And I think asking "12.000" and etc. for such sets is raping drummers.. or amateurs with a ton of money or colectors (Maxwell /Bennette) who will use them as advertisement/novelty to draw customers into their stores (nothing wrong with that!) but in a way becomes purely a mausoleum item.
I'm into the notes drummers played (and play) not the inert drum(s) itself.
Happy!

Man he was brave up on that platform!!
well thank you for your reply and very honest opinion...stay safe and well

Reactions: JDA

abryantp

Reaction score
What an absolute gorgeous set of drums. I hope you are staying healthy and well.

I would do three things.
1) Consider what you actually paid for the set (I don't know how long ago you purchased the set. But if you purchased it from someone who knew what they had, that's a good starting point on price).
2) Make sure selling right now is something you absolutely have to do. There is a lot of uncertainty in the market and if you don't have to sell there is no point to rush to sell a beautiful set like this that you've held onto for several years and is going to require a niche buyer.
3) The market speaks best on if something is priced fairly or not. Have you received any offers close to 25k? There is nothing wrong with listing at a certain price and slowly dropping the price based on interest levels.

I personally would peg value between $4500 - $7500 depending upon how quickly you are looking to move the set.

There are a few comparable sets on the market that have not moved:

Reaction score
What an absolute gorgeous set of drums. I hope you are staying healthy and well.

I would do three things.
1) Consider what you actually paid for the set (I don't know how long ago you purchased the set. But if you purchased it from someone who knew what they had, that's a good starting point on price).
2) Make sure selling right now is something you absolutely have to do. There is a lot of uncertainty in the market and if you don't have to sell there is no point to rush to sell a beautiful set like this that you've held onto for several years and is going to require a niche buyer.
3) The market speaks best on if something is priced fairly or not. Have you received any offers close to 25k? There is nothing wrong with listing at a certain price and slowly dropping the price based on interest levels.

I personally would peg value between $4500 - $7500 depending upon how quickly you are looking to move the set.

There are a few comparable sets on the market that have not moved:
thank you for your reply,and honest opinion on price...
i feel they are worth more,this kit is considered the real RINGO kit 1963 preserial keystone badge black oyster pearl downbeat with the matching 3 in a row jazz fest snare, throw off-badge,bat muffler,kit is over the top super rare for a serious collector...
thanks again for your reply,and stay very safe and well on the west coast....
New York is having a very very bad time.....

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
The snare is the rarest and most valuable drum you have. I know Ringo's is 5 1/2" but I would think that 5 1/4" would still make it worth more than a 5" deep drum.

Reaction score
The snare is the rarest and most valuable drum you have. I know Ringo's is 5 1/2" but I would think that 5 1/4" would still make it worth more than a 5" deep drum.
thanks for your reply,yes it is very rare,but in today's market who knows...
stay safe and well....

Latest posts