Ludwig 20’s maple snare color

P-pangdrums

Reaction score
Hi!
I’m about to acquire a solid maple Ludwig from the 20’s. It’s had a few parts swapped out but that doesn’t bother me as I want to play it, and it’s complete and functional.
What does bother me Is the finish, not because of how it looks but because I’m worried the paint (or what’s left of it) may contain lead.
If this was originally a black drum it would most likely be marked as such on the inside of the shell, but there’s nothing there.
Not sure if this is remains of the original paint, after sanding, or if someone tried to stain it.
Most the black ludwigs with finish imperfections from this time period that I’ve seen are flaking, none look like this.
So, what do you think? Or even better does anyone know if Ludwig used lead paint in the 20’s?

Attachments

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Looks like it was originally painted or varnished and someone stripped it and did a really bad stain job on it.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Hi!
I’m about to acquire a solid maple Ludwig from the 20’s. It’s had a few parts swapped out but that doesn’t bother me as I want to play it, and it’s complete and functional.
What does bother me Is the finish, not because of how it looks but because I’m worried the paint (or what’s left of it) may contain lead.
If this was originally a black drum it would most likely be marked as such on the inside of the shell, but there’s nothing there.
Not sure if this is remains of the original paint, after sanding, or if someone tried to stain it.
Most the black ludwigs with finish imperfections from this time period that I’ve seen are flaking, none look like this.
So, what do you think? Or even better does anyone know if Ludwig used lead paint in the 20’s?
Take it to a Lab and put a Lead meter on it ; -
Run a Lab test on it
How old are you?
We can estimate Life expectancy X gigs with it =

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just DON'T LICK THE DRUM, whatever you do. I am no authority, that's for sure, but I think lead does more damage to young children (developing brains and nerves) than adults. The amount on that drum will be minimal, anyway.
Actually, I want a drum like that very much. Uh, now that I think about it, that drum is DEADLY POISON! Better send it to me at once!
Seriously, I do want the drum, but I hold to my comments in my first lines here. I know guys who have been working with vintage drums for decades, full time professionals, and I've never heard them mention any fear of lead.

Latest posts