Ludwig 2022 Universal Series snares

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Could anyone tell me the difference between the New Ludwig Universal Brass Snare Drums,and the Ludwig Black Magic Range,Only i have a 13"x7" Black Magic with Black Tube Lugs,and Diecast Hoops,the only difference i can see is the Name Plate,or is there something that i've missed.
I don’t think many of the new drums are out in the wild yet, so we will have to wait to get some specific reports on that. My suspicion is that these new ones are pretty much the same as the most recent Black Magic, but now have an import version of the P88 throwoff (Shane talks about the difference in the video).

The Black Magic brass snares received a “refresh” a couple of years ago and stopped coming with black hardware and die cast hoops (this was unfortunate IMO) and moved to chrome hardware and triple flanged hoops. At that point they became a pretty straight copy of a Pork Pie BOB, and rather unremarkable in that so many other companies were offering a very similar drum.

At first glance, I don’t see much apart from the throwoff that would have changed between the Black Magic brass and the Universal Brass.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I gather it’s still the seamed world max shell which is fine. Curious to know the 88i and this 32 spacing. Wonder if the lugs are really more heavy or it’s simply marketing wordplay. Challenging to tell from a picture. Erroneous reviews imply new sizes when it’s actually less (no 5x15). Some ads list wires as 20 or 18 strand. Appears 18 which is super cool. BMs had import heads too so no real change there. Mixed feelings about a rectangle badge shape yet like the script logo. Universal in parentheses seems tacky. I’m sure Ludwig was happy to drop Made in Taiwan messaging.

The Mahogany with maple reinforcement ring is the most interesting to me. Curious on the type and source for the wood, as well as, bearing edge degree. I’ve had good luck with the Club Date SE cherry/gum with birch re-ring.

For now, I’ve got the Ludwig NOB import tricked out thing covered. Complete with WM heads, Ludwig wires, and block stamped strainer.
1650731979830.jpeg

Last edited:

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The walnut sounds really nice. I think these will do well for Ludwig.

Dan

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm debating picking up a walnut, but I've got one of the limited edition Mapex black panther walnut reissues. They only made 75 of them, so probably no need to swap those out.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
As much as I like my Mapex reissue, I think I've decided I'm gonna pull the trigger on one of these walnuts. There's just something about the Ludwig drums that resonates more with me.

Probably will not be much if any difference in sound of course, but you know how things are

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That Walnut sounds gorgeous! At the price point, I guess I'll be getting one of those.

Last edited:

IJR

Reaction score
I gather it’s still the seamed world max shell which is fine. Curious to know the 88i and this 32 spacing. Wonder if the lugs are really more heavy or it’s simply marketing wordplay. Challenging to tell from a picture. Erroneous reviews imply new sizes when it’s actually less (no 5x15). Some ads list wires as 20 or 18 strand. Appears 18 which is super cool. BMs had import heads too so no real change there. Mixed feelings about a rectangle badge shape yet like the script logo. Universal in parentheses seems tacky. I’m sure Ludwig was happy to drop Made in Taiwan messaging.

The Mahogany with maple reinforcement ring is the most interesting to me. Curious on the type and source for the wood, as well as, bearing edge degree. I’ve had good luck with the Club Date SE cherry/gum with birch re-ring.

For now, I’ve got the Ludwig NOB import tricked out thing covered. Complete with WM heads, Ludwig wires, and block stamped strainer.
View attachment 555640
Did they make a version of the Black Magic that came with the gold designs?

IJR

Reaction score
I think I found that it is an anniversary version. Never mind.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why is the Walnut shown in the Ludwig video but not available on DCP's or Cymbalfusion's website?

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Did they make a version of the Black Magic that came with the gold designs?
No. The one pictured was hand engraved by John Aldridge. True story, I bought it used and the seller had it discount priced “because it was all scratched up”. The snare and engraving are mint.

• Wow
Reactions: IJR

karlcrafton

Reaction score
I wonder what Shane actually said in that review video about the stock heads....I tried to read his lips, to no avail!
Haha! I watched it last night and he said "not optimum" and it was a REALLY BAD dub hahaha!
The kind where it was done badly on purpose haha!

karlcrafton

Reaction score
I wonder why the badge has "Universal" in quotes. Are they being sarcastic? View attachment 556355
I thought the same thing (that they didn't need it) and was told that the had the "Universal" line way back when.
Jim Riley chimed in because he really likes the badge, and I was kinda 'meh about it.
Anyway, he posted this page from an old catalog which is pretty cool--and kind of put a different spin on the " " for me.
279225661_10158489816336471_7844822182037647743_n.jpg