Ludwig 2022 Universal Series snares

karlcrafton

Reaction score
After watching the really well done DCP video last night on these, I think Ludwig will sell a ton of them.
The throw was mentioned that it is like the P88A but it doesn't have that "click/catch" (which isn't that big a deal to me) but it was mentioned.
The butt is the nice one too, so having those "upgrades" over the Black Magic line is cool.

I liked the Walnut and Cherry best in the wood, and the Mahogany was really excellent. I didn't care for the Beech very much because of the shorter tone, but it still sounded real nice.
I liked all the brass versions... the 13x7 is was a stand out for me, and so was the 8. I'm actually tempted by that 8, being as I don't have a brass 8....

The dubbed comment on the UT heads for whatever was said originally was pretty funny. It was dubbed in pretty obviously not the same voice, & was great.
Well, if they sound THIS GOOD with THOSE heads, then whatever people usually use will sound fantastic on these drums.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Walnut is in! Absolutely gorgeous. Putting new hoops, wires, and rims on now!

20220428_145230.jpg
20220428_145248.jpg

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
So I didn't even test it stock, but with cast hoops, 42 strands, and real remo heads, this thing is sounding great in the house. Not a good test area, but it's absolutely got the Ludwig mojo.

Is some walnut as light as the outer plies are on this one? It definitely has a somewhat dark tone walnut is known for.

So far I'd highly recommend picking one of these up. They remind me of the Classic Maple Exotics that were released years ago. Those were 10 ply though.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Beautiful snare! Any sense on the lugs actually being more heavy duty?
It seems to me that the more heavy duty lugs were reserved for the metal snares in this line. The ones on the wood shells seem to be the same tube lugs used by Ludwig on their other lines, but I could be wrong. I do wish they were more well-proportioned to the depth of the shell, as they are on the metal series. The high badge/vent hole placement is also a little weird, but obviously its the sound that's most important.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Alright guys, didn't get to get a sound file yet, but these snares are the real deal. Absolutely phenomenal sound and feel. Highly recommend you check them out if you're wanting a new wood Ludwig snare!

This walnut is very sensitive, full, and warm. My guitarist said that is one of the warmest sounding snares you've brought through. Go get em!

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It seems to me that the more heavy duty lugs were reserved for the metal snares in this line. The ones on the wood shells seem to be the same tube lugs used by Ludwig on their other lines, but I could be wrong. I do wish they were more well-proportioned to the depth of the shell, as they are on the metal series. The high badge/vent hole placement is also a little weird, but obviously its the sound that's most important
I too was thinking the heavier lugs were on the BNOB only. Looks like the BNOB still come with the 20 strand “German” wires.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Used the walnut at church today. Our church doesn't have the best acoustics. First song it seemed lower than I like most of my snares.

Took the key between song breaks and tuned it up some. Next song, it's absolutely perfect. Really loving this one. I almost wouldn't mind trying the cherry either, but I do not need any more snares.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Used the walnut at church today. Our church doesn't have the best acoustics. First song it seemed lower than I like most of my snares.

Took the key between song breaks and tuned it up some. Next song, it's absolutely perfect. Really loving this one. I almost wouldn't mind trying the cherry either, but I do not need any more snares.

Did that last line your typed sound as silly when you typed as when you read it again ? You know you are going to get the Cherry AP !!