header.nohb.html

Ludwig 2022 Universal Series snares

Demonslayer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've read a couple comments comparing the brass models to the Black Magics. I heard a video featuring the 5.5x14 and I actually it sounded more like a real BB than a BM - at least to my ears. YMMV, etc. I gotta say that $350 for a brand-new 10-lug brass drum with a Ludwig badge on it is nothing to sneeze at, NGL...

However, since I'm a cheap bastard, if I were hell-bent on getting a good BB clone, I'd probably hunt the web for a $200-ish deal on a Pork Pie and pocket the remaining $150. Gas prices are crazy enough...

Regarding the hardware, I think you can choose the "standard" trim or a special "black" edition (?) that has die-cast hoops. I never did like the DCs on the Black Magics - not all metal snares benefit from them. They sound ok on these...

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Universal NOB 6.5x14 spacing:
Tube lugs 3.5”
P88i 2.5”
P35 1 13/16” (sourced on DFO)
Lugs are definitely heavy duty when compared to the Black Magic. Likely not a better deal out there on a NOB if buying a BM on discount right now. Yet, if triple flange is your thing the improved strainer, butt, lugs, common spacing on some hardware, and updated badge places the Universal as the best value on NOB with the Ludwig name (especially at a 20% discount).

Edit: Also the BM has rubber gaskets on the lugs where as the Universal does not.

Last edited:

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Universal NOB 6.5x14 spacing:
Tube lugs 3.5”
P88i 2.5”
P35 1 13/16” (sourced on DFO)
Lugs are definitely heavy duty when compared to the Black Magic. Likely not a better deal out there on a NOB if buying a BM on discount right now. Yet, if triple flange is your thing the improved strainer, butt, lugs, common spacing on some hardware, and updated badge places the Universal as the best value on NOB with the Ludwig name (especially at a 20% discount).

Edit: Also the BM has rubber gaskets on the lugs where as the Universal does not.
20% discount from where?

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The beech sounds a lot like my Drumcraft beech but the Walnut... wow! A clear, dark, wet, toneful punch. Might have to get one eventually.