Ludwig 401

wayneonthedrums

Reaction score
Who, where, when? What badge did it have? I’m obsessed with these and can’t believe I missed it!

campbellh

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be very wary of that “401”. I’m not convinced it was authentic. It had the wrong lugs and a baseball bat muffler. While there are a few pre-serial 402’s out there with a BB muffler, I’ve never seen a 401 other than with the small round knob. Hard to see but the grommet may also have been changed out. A lot of inconsistencies...

campbellh

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This one has correct lugs for period; if truly a WFL 401 (looks like it), that’s a rare bird. Very nice! I have all three of the 401’s (WFL, trans badge and pre-serial) and they were tough to find!

abryantp

Reaction score

$1970 and was sold within an hour or so of being posted.

- Crimped snare beds
- Pre-serial badge
- very clearly a brass shell

Checks all the boxes for authentic. The fact it has a baseball bat muffler means nothing in regards to authenticity. The gromet is definitely the question mark on the drum. Looks like someone cut it multiple times and bent it back to tighten?

campbellh

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

$1970 and was sold within an hour or so of being posted.

- Crimped snare beds
- Pre-serial badge
- very clearly a brass shell

Checks all the boxes for authentic. The fact it has a baseball bat muffler means nothing in regards to authenticity. The gromet is definitely the question mark on the drum. Looks like someone cut it multiple times and bent it back to tighten?

the lugs are also from a later period...I also didn’t see the weight and if the bearing edge had a flange...a lot of question marks. Questions could be answered but I didn’t hear them. Hence my caution. BTW - speed of sale is not validation...

Last edited:

abryantp

Reaction score
I hope for the sake of the buyer that it is authentic! Would love to see a picture of all three of yours for reference on differences.

Also out of curiosity how do you date imperial lugs from looking at them? I would love to know just in case I ever come across a COB super to buy. I always had thought it was from weight and the spring box being shorter inside.

p83

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
the lugs on the left are the older model. check the spacing on the sides.

P1010001 4.JPG

campbellh

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I hope for the sake of the buyer that it is authentic! Would love to see a picture of all three of yours for reference on differences.

Also out of curiosity how do you date imperial lugs from looking at them? I would love to know just in case I ever come across a COB super to buy. I always had thought it was from weight and the spring box being shorter inside.

Here is a great video that I think shows the differences quite clearly:
Please note that this is to establish is the drum is a brass Supraphonic/Super-Ludwig, not lacquer over brass vs. chrome over brass. I’m unsure how to tell the difference between the two other than if the grommet has been replaced. That being said, one of my 401s was stripped and relacquered by the previous owner to prevent further pitting...

p83

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
is this the real deal?

reverb.com/item/48660025-ludwig-super-401-5x14-10-lug-brass-snare-drum-1960-s

Bijan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
P83- I wouldn’t touch that drum with any length of pole. It’s either been redone or deplated. That grommet is a MESS. that’s an easy pass.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I asked for pics. Grommet is smashed behind like a Gretsch. No serial # nor date. The guy told me it was sold unless I did a Buy It Now for the full price and then he would refund the other buyer's money. The listing is still listed as active though. I told him thanks but no thanks because of the grommet issue.

rsq911

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wait…….
I knew I recognized that grommet! Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade!

Attachments

• 0F0C382B-6885-45DB-B98D-95D7BAD13D53.png
    0F0C382B-6885-45DB-B98D-95D7BAD13D53.png
    166.5 KB · Views: 20